• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Balance formulas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
hmm dont know if there is one out there im not sure. but try like
but one i use kinda is like this (ID*.6)+(DOT*.4)*(1+aftereffect%)
ID=Initial damage
DOT= damage over time
aftereffect% = like slow poison 15% of the time. so it would be 15% pretty simple and not really accurate though.

Level 8
I think that spells have to be balanced by sense (if you know what I mean :D). You just have a feeling for that stuff. AND the mana cost and cooldown have to be good too :p
It's hard to explain... real's system can be good too... just dunno, never tried it, I always did it by feeling. If I feel that it's balanced, it's balanced (unless lots of guys say that it's imba when I post it xD)

Level 9
Maybe you could first make a standard spell..then base off other spells you'll be making from that.Change damage,cooldown,etc. as you see fit.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Wrong section, as this is not at all related to triggers.

Anyway, it would be all too easy if formulas could be used to ballence units but I am afraid it is far more complicated than that. The only real way to ballence a map is to think of what would be ballenced, and slowly adjust stuff which is notosiably too weak or strong. That is as far as I can tell how DotA did it and suspite individual heroes having poor ballence at times, it gives good general ballence.

If WC3 was a turn based RPG or statergy game, then formulas could probably be divised.

Also formula devised ballence tends to be boring due to everything fitting neatly together in a simlar way and the results being predictable.

You can however use simple formulas to come to certain gauges of strength of a unit which can be used to ballence a unit. Eg the DPS of a unit. But that still does not say anything about how strong the unit is as range and movement speed all play a part.

Afterall a unit with range against a melee unit is all determined by which is faster. If the melee unit is faster, then it could probably kill the ranged unit if it is physically stronger. If the range unit is faster, it will always kill the melee unit as it could never be hit unless the melee unit has some counter to make up for the lack of speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.