• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
As many know there is a limit to how much space an avatar can use here, its not a problem if you have a PNG or JPG file for you avatar but if you want a GIF the options becomes very limited with only 256kb.

Does hive have room for increasing the file size for GIFs? And if so can you please increase it?

Level 17
The file size is perfectly fine, no need for it to be any bigger.
Find a different .GIF avatar instead or optimize the image size.

Level 11
Augmenting the limit would slow certain pages down because of the gif avatars, so I don't think the limit should be raised really.

Just resize your gif.

Its more a matter of the number of animations you have and not the number of colors or pixels. Slower loading speed is a pretty good reason to not increase it however I see a lot of users with signatures that have larger images or GIF files, the size of those easily exceeds 256kb.

If it were increased to 512kb for example it shouldn't affect the site so much as I think most users wouldn't take advantage of it because I see more people with a normal avatar than a GIF (also some users who doesn't have any avatar or a signature image).

Anyhow, I'm not gonna nag about this, a size increase would affect people with a bad internet connection and there are a few here on Hive so. :/

Last edited:
[reaction=http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxco0uKBXp1qbezm8o1_500.png]People freaked out when the reaction tags came out, siting it is a waste of space and time, it makes the site stupid and that it is useless. then someone complained the signature size should be changed to something like, oh i dont know, how warcraftunlimited has theirs. unlimited. have you seen their forums?

just deal with it. mkay?[/reaction]

Level 22
^ Eh SC2Mapster allows 2+ MB and is better. Sigs r the same, even with my fairly fast net, I got a slow ostrich skiing sig that someone used load slowly while all the rest was running fine with no delay. But how else will I use the full-animation ponies :/

we really dont have to start looking like this, do we?
warcraftunlimited.jpg

Level 11
This is about bytes and not pixels. The avatar has a limit of 100*100 pixels and 256 kb while the signature only got a pixel size limit (as far as I have tested it) and no file size limit. I have only seen a couple of users who who uses that signature advantage and I am pretty sure it will be the same with this.

we really dont have to start looking like this, do we?
View attachment 110742

^ I agree that it is to much, and its very annoying to read through threads with all those images blocking ½ the page. However this would not change much as the 100*100 limit will still remain.

Level 29
On the opposite, I would like to have a global vB option to block every single signature on any vB site.

Ah, I see that option is there already. At least vB did one thing right.

Would be better if they'd use some obvious HTML tag that would then be able to just be disabled by browesers, though.
Then again, that means people working together, and we know how that works out (it doesn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.