• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Attachments (without triggers)

Level 18
Attachments (without triggers)
by Shados edited by Ralle

What is this?
In case you might wonder what this article is about. We are working with attachments as weapons, glows, effects attached to units. These attachments can be attached to units with abilities or items which gives a cool effect. In this article I will explain to you how to attach a model (weapon, shield, orb etc.) to an item so it will be displayed when a unit puts it on.

Let's get started..
Create a custom ability based off an item ability, I like using Item Armour Bonus (+1). Remove all buffs and effects from the ability.

Art - Target.
Add the models you want to attach here. But remember you can't specify different attachment points for the models you add here. You will need an ability for each attachment point.

Target Attachment Point 1.
To decide where to attach the models you use attachment points. Choose one from the list below and write it in here. But only ONE word at a line. If you wish you say "hand left" you say "hand", "left".

The modifiers are there so you can be a little more precise when attaching models, you can for example add a string saying "hand", but you want it to be in the right hand, then you add one more saying "right".

That's it
So now you have the ability that atttaches models to a unit. You can now decide whether to have the ability in an item or as a spell. But remember, in order to add the ability to a unit, you have to go and set Stats - Item Ability to False.

Modifiers and Attachment Points
Attachment Points
  • overhead (floats over the unit's head, but doesn't sway with the
  • head as it animates)
  • head (sways with the unit's animation)
  • chest (use this for wings, Illidan's, Mannoroth's,....)
  • origin (usually at the base of a unit's feet, use this for auras)
  • hand (self-explanatory)
  • foot (self-explanatory)
  • weapon (for HEROES)
  • sprite (for buildings)
  • medium (for buildings)
  • large (for buildings)

Attachment Point Modifiers:
  • left (left hand/foot, u get the point)
  • right (right hand/foot, u get the point)
  • mount (for mounted units, i.e, foot mount)
  • rear (for quadrupeds)
  • first (for buildings)
  • second (for buildings)
  • third (for buildings)
  • fourth (for buildings)
  • fifth (for buildings)
  • sixth (for buildings)
  • rallypoint (for buildings)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 18
Not a bad idea, I might do that.

EDIT: Reread your message, Archian, the weapon attachment point really is HEROES ONLY, you're thinking of the hand attachment point, infact I think I remember telling you this before 0.o

Lol who gave me rep up for this tutorial :p?

Last edited by a moderator:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
well i was told by someone from wc3c, anyway some models don't have some attachment points. So if you try to attach something to a unit that is using a model that misses the attachment point in question, the special effect won't show up.

and btw please don't double post, there's an edit buttom.

- merged your posts

Level 18
Archian said:
and btw please don't double post, there's an edit buttom.
I beleive double-posting is justified if the first post you made is over a day old, as edits do not count as unread posts. Also, I have specified in my tutorial that some attachment points aren't for all units, such as:
* mount (for mounted units, i.e, foot mount)
* rear (for quadrupeds)
* first (for buildings)
* second (for buildings)
* third (for buildings)
* fourth (for buildings)
* fifth (for buildings)
* sixth (for buildings)
* rallypoint (for buildings)
By the way, if you don't know what a quadruped is, it's an four-legged creature, i.e. centaurs, horses.

EDIT: Almost forgot, maybe you should write up what gets people rep up/down? Here's some suggestions for that:
Rep Up:
Helping Individual People (maybe like 1-5 rep)
Writing Tutorials (Maybe 10-50+ depending on the amount of work + how good it is, and maybe extra for each person posting saying it helped them?)
Winning Tounraments/Contests etc. (Not sure :p)

Rep Down:
Flaming people (maybe 10+, depending on what was said)
Being racist/sexist/etc (Maybe 2/30+, perhaps a temp ban?)
Deliberately Misleading people (Only in the Help Zone etc, maybe 2-8?)

Also, then is the rep system meant to be retroactive, i.e. do I and others (Like you, bob27, operator, Archian) who have written tutorials/done good things in the past get rep for them?

Last edited: