• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] Armor = Spell resist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I'm losing my mind working on my map with a dds. things happen that idk how they are happening. to read more about that, go here Link

On topic, does higher armor somehow also add spell resist? i notice that heroes with more armor than others in my map take less damage from spells.

if yes, can that be nullified somewhere?

if not, does the ability Hardened Skin also apply to spell damage? because the item that heroes use to gain lots of armor also provides a minor chance to reduce incoming damage.

lastly, the dds sometimes trips balls and doesn't fire the damage event. in this case, physical damage is applied as normal but spell damage seems to heal instead of damage (this only happens for some heroes, at random). Like for example player 3's spells won't touch player 5 but will go through player 2. I've no idea why this happens, but it has to be connected to some native abilities

Level 12
I remember I had to go through and fix a bunch of triggers that were dealing magic damage improperly. It was like spell damage, so it got reduced by hero armour, but it also took armour into account and could get blocked by shields. I don't remember the exact issue I had, but I think it was dealing "magic" damage of type "normal" or something weird like that. You need it to be "spell" damage. This may be the problem you are having.

Hardened skin does not normally apply to spells AFAIK. You can test by setting it to block 1000 damage, minimum 0, give it to a unit, make a simple spell damage ability, and start zapping that unit.

No idea why it would do such crazy things. Do you have a lot of effects in the damage system?

Level 25
Yeah Shadow Flux is correct.
I tested, a hero with 1000 armor still takes the same damage as a hero without armor.

Hero armor however only takes 75% of the spell damage.
Divine takes 5%.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

If you're doing the spell damage via trigger the damage type needs to be changed to "Universal" as "Normal" is effected by armor like a normal attack.

^ this is what i've been looking for. I will try it ty.

Also guys, I modified game constants spell damage. that wasn't my issue.

but if "normal" subtype of damage counts as an attack, then maybe hardened skin and both armor might conflict with it.

i will edit this post later to describe if that fixes it or not.

Level 24
Damage Type doesnt make sense for spell damage reduction.
Spell damage reduction is applied on the Attack Type spells (and maybe magic).
Armor on the other hand has nothing to do with Attack Type, but instead is applied on certain Damage Types.

So you can have damage that is reduced by both armor and spell damage reduction.
If you set Attack Type to spells and Damage Type to normal for example.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Damage Type doesnt make sense for spell damage reduction.
Spell damage reduction is applied on the Attack Type spells (and maybe magic).
Armor on the other hand has nothing to do with Attack Type, but instead is applied on certain Damage Types.

So you can have damage that is reduced by both armor and spell damage reduction.
If you set Attack Type to spells and Damage Type to normal for example.

Most of my issues don't make sense. but they are still issues. so i'll take any "non-logic". also blizzard isn't known positively for "making sense" in the world editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.