• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Access to WC3 files without owning WC3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hello, well, the story is, I deleted my wc3 game for a reason and sold it, but after some time it came to my mind that if I want to start with 3D-Modeling, I need these specific files to get access to the moddable stuff.

So, is there any way to get these files without having Warcraft III / without having to buy it again ? I just don't want to buy it again as I am not even sure whether I will ever start with 3D-Models.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Oh, they made it free, I didn't know..

Thanks a lot !

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

so you can now proudly sing pirate songs
hahaha, NO , I noticed it is still free.. so I didn't get it via free google dls.

Well, guess I have to buy it then :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Oh gosh, I just go to the store and buy a new one, ain't expensive today, gladly.

Just hoped that Blizzard or someone else released the modding content as a single file, on a legal base.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
What if he gets only JNGP? He will have access to the editor, but will not be able to test/play. He can see how models are doing when placed, play some animations, but not see them in-game. No?

JNGP use the normal worldedit.exe just like the normal editor. And the normal editor get the data from the game MPQs'. So I am pretty sure that wont work.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

He needs .mpq files where all data is stored not an editor
Magos' loads mpqs in the same directory, if I recall correctly
Oh couldn't I download an unprotected map from Hive and view its content with Magos ? Then I would have access to all files as in the .mpq, wouldn't I ?

@edo494 yes, indeed it is pretty cheap these days. In case the idea above does not work, I will probably just spend these 20 €

Level 21
Oh couldn't I download an unprotected map from Hive and view its content with Magos ? Then I would have access to all files as in the .mpq, wouldn't I ?

@edo494 yes, indeed it is pretty cheap these days. In case the idea above does not work, I will probably just spend these 20 €

You can't. Maps themselves don't have .mpq files or else every map would be 1gb. You can't even download models and view them through magos without wc3 since ingame data are loaded directly from game.

...also I do love how 20€ is cheap to you developed nations.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Oh sad... Then I have to buy it again, I guess..

20€ for two games are indeed cheap compared to 60€ or even more for one new game!

Level 19
You can't even download models and view them through magos without wc3 since ingame data are loaded directly from game.

Actually, if you have the game MPQs in the same directory you can view models that use in-game textures normally. For models with custom textures, you have to follow the paths.

Anyway, you need the Wc3 MPQ's atleast. I remember reading that you can download the game via your account in (the Wc3) battle.net. I dont know if thats true or not but its worth a try.

E: Yeah, I find it strange that the more buyers/fans a company has, the higher the cost of the newer games they release.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I remember reading that you can download the game via your account in (the Wc3) battle.net. I dont know if thats true or not but its worth a try.

I will try to, thank you! ( just have to remember my password...)

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Even if it does, I wrote it down after buying the CD, so that is no problem.

Bu-but..

If you got the CD key you don't need to but a new one damn it.

Download warcraft 3 like a pirate, yarr. Most of them use the normal installer and provide you with a (illegal) CD key. Use your own CD key and it's completely legal..

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

If you got the CD key you don't need to but a new one damn it.
oh, I didn't know -.-'

I will try the method Gismo359 suggested, guess it is the most legal way anyway.
If it does not work out, then I will just go that way, I guess..

Level 21
Actually if he has CD key he can legal download it from Blizzard. No need for 3rd party site.

It is still illegal to use torrent actually (or is it only illegal to upload and not to download). Not that anyone really cares honestly, in eastern half of europe (Hi!) everyone does it. Though most wc3 torrents these days lack normal installer which screw up recognition of map files, .mpq files etc (must open them manually with editors)...

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Actually if he has CD key he can legal download it from Blizzard. No need for 3rd party site.

He said that he sold his key though, so it's possible that the key is bound to another battle.net account at this point. If that's the case he can't get it from Blizzard. Unless he bound it to his own battle.net account before he sold it.

It's not illegal to use torrents.. Blizzard use torrents for patching World of Warcraft for example. It's illegal to download copyrighted stuff in general though.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001042.htm

Level 21
That link specifically says two times it is illegal to download games. Game data is copyrighted. And I was sure Blizzard uses Blizzard Support to provide legal patches (that's where I get my Blizz game patches) , or auto-update and not torrents. Still patch is not same as full game.

Sharing or downloading computer software (programs, games, etc.).

A software program or game you'd buy at a store

Using torrents on its own is legal.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Even if he has claimed the cd-key in battle.net, both of the users cannot be online at the same time
I doubt the guy who I sold the game to will go online in wc3, but even in case, I don't/won't play wc3 anymore, except for certain occasions.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.