• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Abstract Dreams - Single Player Game/Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main idea was inspired by the dreamscape project, which I saw and thought looked quite cool. I carried that idea around for a while and came to this.

Basically, you are going through your dreams to find something (or you only think that you're trying to find something) - each dream is abstract to the maximum. I had the idea that if it was extremely expansive, you could possibly go from dream to dream, and have different dreams depending on the choices you make and so on. Each of the dreams would probably have a start of a kind and an end of a kind (usually entirely nonsensical, to enhance the whole feeling). At the ending of one dream, the screen would likely flash or something and then the next dream would start. The game would have multiple endings which are probably entirely unrelated to each other and make no sense when they're compared against one another. However, throughout the game there would be sort of "clues" (none obviously named) to hint towards the true nature of the whole thing, or to hint towards the endings. The endings would also hint towards the true nature of this dream travelling.

The game would be set in any timeline - you don't know which one you're in, if you're 'travelling back in time' in your dreams, or forwards. For example, one more expansive, large dream I would have would be a kind of infection area - a deserted mining colony on a different planet, for example, where you see absolutely noone, you must make your way through to.. somewhere.. and you find clues as to what the fuck happened along the way. In the end you would get to wherever you're going and find an infected - the infected is YOU. (ie. you killed everyone there) Dream ends. As the first dream, I would have forest, beautiful in its type, with moonbeams coming through the canopy (hinting at the surreal nature), with some places flashing and showing a destroyed, demon-infested version of the forest. Maybe some random events such as a demon popping up and asking you what colour the sea is (just to show how abstract the dreams can be). The forest could inhabit, for example, some natives and trolls, between whom you can choose and ignite into combat or find some other solutions to solve their problems (or cause more).

There'd obviously be a lot more dreams, but those are two ideas I thought quite good.
So yeah, any feedback/ideas/etc? Think it's possible, a good idea?

Oh, also - not set in stone that it's SP.

Level 9
maybe you should add a "wet dream" ??? :DDDD
nonono ..., dont mind that one :D

maybe it's better when you add a first person mode camera, so we can feel the experience of being walk around in dream ...
and there's a dream that very abstract ..
like, cubes everywhere, you step on nothing but a black ground, the cubes will move randomly ...

Level 4
Well now this would be interesting to play. You'd never know what to expect. This type of games seems like it would be better as single player, because cinematics and those random events can be much more detailed with their own music, sound effects, etc. Plus the camera movements would be much easier in single player if it was first person too. Great ideas! Are you going to attempt to make it, Belgarath?

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

The main idea was inspired by the dreamscape project, which I saw and thought looked quite cool. I carried that idea around for a while and came to this.

Basically, you are going through your dreams to find something (or you only think that you're trying to find something) - each dream is abstract to the maximum. I had the idea that if it was extremely expansive, you could possibly go from dream to dream, and have different dreams depending on the choices you make and so on. Each of the dreams would probably have a start of a kind and an end of a kind (usually entirely nonsensical, to enhance the whole feeling). At the ending of one dream, the screen would likely flash or something and then the next dream would start. The game would have multiple endings which are probably entirely unrelated to each other and make no sense when they're compared against one another. However, throughout the game there would be sort of "clues" (none obviously named) to hint towards the true nature of the whole thing, or to hint towards the endings. The endings would also hint towards the true nature of this dream travelling.

The game would be set in any timeline - you don't know which one you're in, if you're 'travelling back in time' in your dreams, or forwards. For example, one more expansive, large dream I would have would be a kind of infection area - a deserted mining colony on a different planet, for example, where you see absolutely noone, you must make your way through to.. somewhere.. and you find clues as to what the fuck happened along the way. In the end you would get to wherever you're going and find an infected - the infected is YOU. (ie. you killed everyone there) Dream ends. As the first dream, I would have forest, beautiful in its type, with moonbeams coming through the canopy (hinting at the surreal nature), with some places flashing and showing a destroyed, demon-infested version of the forest. Maybe some random events such as a demon popping up and asking you what colour the sea is (just to show how abstract the dreams can be). The forest could inhabit, for example, some natives and trolls, between whom you can choose and ignite into combat or find some other solutions to solve their problems (or cause more).

There'd obviously be a lot more dreams, but those are two ideas I thought quite good.
So yeah, any feedback/ideas/etc? Think it's possible, a good idea?

Oh, also - not set in stone that it's SP.

:cute:
It seems like a good idea (though the triggering would be insane!)
I'd recommend breaking those large paragraphs into smaller sized sentences so it's easier to figure out where your reading.

If you were going through your own dream, how would you know your dreaming? Maby the you you think you are in reality is actually a dream to begin with so any of the places you wander to could and/or could not be your real reality... ok I totally forgot what I was typing about after that =/

I'd say go give it a shot and attempt to make the map/maps, even if it/they only has/have a few endings (maby 3 to start out with>?):confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.