• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Ability question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm trying to create five dummy abilities that do nothing but are mutually exclusive: as in, if I turn on ability 1, it will turn off all four other abilities E.G. you can only have one ability active at a time.

My first question is, what ability should I use as a start? I thought Immolation could work, but I don't know if it's the best out there. I'd like something like avatar, which you can't turn off once it's in use but without turning the casting unit into another unit like avatar does.

I'll try to figure out how to make them mutually exclusive, but if you want to help that's fine too. :)

Level 9
These 5 abilities are for the same unit? If so you'd need 5 different abilities to base it off, if it's that many I think it's better to just make 10 abilities based of channel that are instant used(5 turn on, 5 turn off), and just remove and add the turned off when you turn on another one

So when you use a turn on ability, it's replaced by a turn off ability, and the other turn off ability that was already on is replaced by a turn on, if you use a turn off ability it's just replaced by a turn on ability.

This might be done simplier, but I never used turn on/turn off abilities for triggers, and this way always worked for me

Level 3
they don't HAVE to be based off of channel, as long as each ability has a different base data (under raw data, the first 4 characters of the ability's name). You would need to use triggers to add/remove ability from unit every time you cast. so say you did use immolation, then make it so if you begin casting immolation, then remove the other 4 abilities from unit. And then you will need another trig to add them to the unit when you stop using immolation.

they don't HAVE to be based off of channel, as long as each ability has a different base data (under raw data, the first 4 characters of the ability's name). You would need to use triggers to add/remove ability from unit every time you cast. so say you did use immolation, then make it so if you begin casting immolation, then remove the other 4 abilities from unit. And then you will need another trig to add them to the unit when you stop using immolation.

even if they have different raw codes if they are based on the same spell, once you cast one of them the others will also be casted (but most of the times only one them is casted and most of the times it would be the first ability)...

Status
Not open for further replies.