• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

480X480 map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
OK so I've recently discovered that with the tool Jass New Gen Pack a map can be made as big as 480X480. I would like to make a map that is 480X380 for a WoW Risk Cataclysm map. But before I even consider it, I would like to know this: has there been any problems with a map being bigger then 256X256? Is it legal? I don't think I've ever seen a map that was 480X480, so I am curious as to why, maybe something is wrong with such a map size?

I wasn't sure if I should post this in world editor tools or terrain, it seemed more fitting for terrain though. If I should move it please tell me.

Any help is very appreciated good hive members!

Thank you all

Edit: Also, if anyone would like to work on the terrain for such a map (assuming its possible) please contact me. The person would not have to make the entire terrain, as the maker of Outland Risk terrain would probably make a continent or two :) but its so huge I think it would be better if at least Northrend was done by someone else who is good at terraining.

Level 15
To my knowledge there is nothing wrong with using the max map size available in NewGen. The reason you don't see it in many maps is because most maps don't need a huge size (though i'm fairly certain there are a few ORPG's out there that are maxed out). Oh and it would take forever to terrain well.

Level 8
Cowards they are then! WoW Risk Cataclysm will dare to go where no risk map has gone before. Epically huge.

Also, thanks for the help raven!

I'm terraining a 480x480 map and the problem is making it detailed. I have around 20 000 doodads in 1/4 of the map and it still needs to be detailed. I'm actually feeling a FPS drop down so I don't know how much my computer can go on. Probably 30-40k more doodads and I won't be able to work in the map properly. :p
Also the bad thing about 480x480 is that if you want the whole map to be detailed then the loading time will be a lot bigger which gets annoying and some people leave in the middle of the loading.

Level 8
Ah yes I was hoping that would be the only problem for such a huge map. Its unfortunate and I'm sorry that your map has to suffer from it as I'm sure you've done a lot of work on it, but for a risk map this isn't a problem really. Risk doesn't need to be detailed at all, maybe 3000 doodads at most if done right.

Edit: Holy cow I just looked at your map, its quite ambitious and looks pretty epic. Anyways thanks for your help.

And while you're here, do you know anyone who would be interested in creating a playable Cataclysm version of WoW? They probably would not be the only terrainer, but the terrain will be huge so I'd like at least 2 people working on the terrain. Thank you :)

Level 8
Status
Not open for further replies.