• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

3ds max 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello Dears,

as the title says, I`ve got a 3ds max 2014, and I`ve got several questions / issues

(i) I cannot open / import any warcraft 3 models, I`ve tried some mdx/mdl converters, and some others, and everytime I tried to open/import any of those, my 3ds max told me that the file version is out of date, corrupted or whatever, and subsequently refuses to open it
(ii) (a) So my inquiry here is, does anyone else here have a 3ds max 2014, and have some answers / tips for me how I can open / import a wc3 model in 3ds max 2014?
(ii) neodex 2.5 outputs a few errors, I haven`t tried a lower version yet, again, does anyone have any experience?

I`m a modelling rookie and wanted to give it a shot, but apparently I cannot even open up a model yet without asking you here first (and yes, I did try to search for a solution online, to no avail), so please be kind with me xd

<3, Sela

Level 16
The thing is I have a feeling that 3ds max 2014 won't work with the mdx scripts. Did you really try the appropriate version of neo dex? 3ds max 2011 to 2012 might work well with neo dex.

For importing mdx I suggest you actually use starcraft 2's import plugin. Sc2 Import Not entirely sure it has a mdx importer there but I remember it had. If it' stil NO - NO then try this Mdx Import. There is no need for you to convert the file, just leave it as mdx format, mdl is worse than mdx, will cause errors and is not that compatible with wc3. I'm just saying this because for me mdx gives me better randament than mdl but there are people that prefer to work with mdl.

There are some small glitches even, remove the bones and animation completely within war 3 model editor and leave it as mdx. This is in case you don't need animated files, if you do then it's a complicated story. :<

Last edited:
Level 7
The mdx in/export tool does nothing (nothing happens when I run it with the maxscript feature thing, no dialog pops out or w/e, and when trying to import using the 3ds max import feature, it says improper file format), haven`t tried the .m3 tool yet, but doesn`t sound good from what it says (not supporting 3ds max 2013, and no mentioning of .mdx file formats

Level 16
Dem 3ds max!

I never thought about the latest versions of max but I have a feeling the scripts won't work because 3ds max changed dramatically starting with 2012 version hence the creators of the script didn't take that into account since they were made for older versions when they came out.
Your best bet might be to get 3ds max 2011 version, it's the worst of them all but works best with the scripts. You can go even more backwards like 3ds max 7, 8 etc. There's a students license for 3ds max 2011 btw you can get it for free!

I personally hate these types of problems myself, been confronting with them alot also Blizzard has a really nice way of doing things to upset the people like for example they release some really awesome, powerful tools for Starcraft 2 but it only works for 3ds max version 2011, Unbelievable!!!

I seriously don't know what your problem could be but it could be anything, even from your pc software speaking of which what window do you use (
Don't tell me it's windows 8! :p
)? Can you give me your PC specs to?

Don't give up there must be something...

Level 15
Some people say that 2009 version is the best. Not sure why, but I will give it a shot.
I have 2013 version and the plugins (scripts) are work.

Yes, they work, but they give me error message when trying to load the mdx.
I have tried some vanilla models, work great. (Only tried some)
Then I tried custom models, they not work.

Also, Warcraft 3 has a funny rigging. The skeletons are epic.

I will download 2009 version if I have a time (read my signature, if you know what I meant)

Edit:
Ow that script, I have that. Not too good I will say. I use BlizzMod.
How to use? In 2013, to run it, go to the right panel, you will see MaxScript.
You don't need to run it. In there, there is menu.
I forgot. Just check one by one on right panel. Also put the script in plugin and script folder (actually I'm not sure, I place it in both folder)

Level 7
Okey,

next problem: The importer`s working alright, and all the animations are showing up, but - upon exporting, the model`s animations are corrupted. Apparently, something with the attachment points` messed up, some other than the intended part of the model takes it place.

Oh, the importer`s unable to open (some) campaign backgrounds.

<3, Sela

Status
Not open for further replies.