1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The member Kam is making HIVE coasters. Take a look. For every coaster you buy, Hive gets $1.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it. Join (Optionally) Paired Techtree Contest #11 - Techno Magic now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Hero Contest #8 is up and running! This time it's a joint contest between artists and coders. Go here for team matchmaking.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The ninth Concept Art Contest has launched. Enter now!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our first StarCraft contest, The Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders has started. Enter to show off your Galaxy Editor skills and win a custom rank icon among other things.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Ever wanted to get your sets ready for fast texturing while still having fun? Now it is possible with our newest Mini-Texturing Contest.
    The Skeleton Units need your dire help!
    Dismiss Notice

1st terrain - small island in the middle of nowhere

Discussion in 'Terrain Board' started by Squiggy, May 20, 2008.

1. Squiggy

Squiggy
    Well, this is my first try.. could look a bit crappy but whatever ^^

//Edit: Here my 2nd try - Starfall Bay
    Don't mind the purple cube - forgot to disable it -.-

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. operator

operator
    Even though it's not good technially. I like it :) Reminds me of those early days of wc3 modding

3. Mr.100

Mr.100
    Looks well um weird and pretty plain and the portal doesn't really fit in:D

4. TheDivineBoss

TheDivineBoss
    Looks empty but it's quite a good start for a newbie.

5. Belgarath

Belgarath
    The first one isn't so great, but I still like it, like operator, reminds me of what you'd do when you want to create some epic map for me :)
    The second one is a great improvement. It looks very nice. Only plainly see able bad thing is the cube :p

6. Naze

Naze
    The second one is much better then the 1st one. Yes, those starfall models looks pretty nice...

Well, as you already have some terraining skills, I'll suggest you these things:

1) If you're going to use something in mass (as you did with the flowers, in the 2nd terrain), never show space between the doodads. I mean, next time you'll make a terrain like that, place the flowers (or shrubs, whatever you want) closer. It is going to look cooler!
    2) Don't use cliffs!! Repeat with me > DO NOT USE CLIFFS! No! Never! Try to do this instead of placing those cliffs (it will look a lot better)
    3) Don't give up, keep terraining! Practice, and you'll be earning lots of reputation in a short time!

_______

:D

7. Gilles

Gilles
    Have you checked out other peoples terrain? Studying others can help a lot. I recommend someone like frsotwhisper or Belgarath, for starting out. Later when your a little more advanced check out Tassadoom, MadseN, Void (his new stuff), and Correx.

2-P is another good one. He uses doodads so well.