• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit Attachments

2w2iv6o.png

33483lx.png

what is an attachment?

An attachment is a kind of model that can be attached to units that has attachment points.

what is an attachment points?

Attachment points is a point that where you should attach the model

what is the common attachment points?

Observe the picture below

how do you attach a model/effeft to a unit?

Simply follow the steps given below

30aaywm.png

- World Editor
- A Model that you would attach
I used Power Fist by suselishe

1entbk.png

2lsuxqe.jpg

overhead (floats over the heroes head, but it dosn't follow the unit, does not sway with the untis animations)

head (used for mask/helmet for the unit)

chest (the center of the unit, kinda used for wings, armor, etc)

hand (used for weapons,shields and gloves ) Left,hand for left hand and right,hand for right

foot (boots and other foot attachments) like hand left,foot for left right,foot for right

orgin (The place depends but it's mostly beneath the unit between the feet, always used in auras)

weapon (for heroes only)

If you are now familiar with Attachment points then we can proceed to step 1

2z9ce9j.png

10fuatf.png

5kklmv.png

Open World Editor

That was easy

2v3kl55.png

Import The File
1r8ynt.jpg

10qdy11.png

Create a New Ability
I used item ability
2irt6ht.jpg

2hrfx9c.png

Find Art - Target, then double click it
w0q6v6.jpg

b7l5e1.png

click "add model" then put your model file

33najr8.png

Then go to Art - Target Attachment 1 , click "add string"
29z652h.jpg

2vbs9i8.png

type your desired attachment point
2hfrzmb.jpg

I used right,hand

xdfk7q.png

Go to Art - Target Attachment double click it
4ptg8i.jpg

33cw4dc.png

put number one on the "Art - Target Attachments" press ok
2pslzz5.jpg

2lstoo2.png

Create a new item
2nqsn15.jpg

qosj6w.png

on the new created item find Abilities - Abilities
2w1yul1.jpg

34q8dft.png

double click it, delete all abilites in the item

nmc0pi.png

z2yzd.jpg
>>>>
2dkinma.jpg

Press "New Ability" Find your custom ability then hit ok
2ykz3hf.jpg
>>>>
2ywyhrs.jpg

magbqc.png

Put the Custom item in your map
wh534.jpg
>>>>
1kxtz.jpg

2r3jxvq.png

Enjoy :ogre_haosis:

zv1j6g.png

245j8ly.jpg

29ngo3n.jpg

u92jo.jpg

2mo45mq.jpg

10xseig.jpg

148orcl.jpg

2hxud.jpg

Attachments

• Tutorial - Unit Attachments.w3x
    86.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 21

Extra screenshots:
Chest attachment screenshot could be anything
Hand attachment looks like chest
Lots of grammar mistakes.

You should also mention the other way(special effects) as using abilities is a fairly limited way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
There are 2 ways to do the attachment:
First Way:is like you say :goblin_good_job:
Second Way:
Make the event to Map Initialization
  • Map initialization
This trigger will attach model to head
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the head of YOUR_UNIT using YOUR MODEL
This trigger will attach model to overhead
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of YOUR_UNIT using YOUR MODEL
This Trigger will attach model to right hand
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the hand,right of YOUR_UNIT using YOUR MODEL
This Trigger will attach model to left hand
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the hand,left of YOUR_UNIT using YOUR MODEL
This Trigger will attach model to chest
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of YOUR_UNIT using YOUR MODEL
This Trigger will attach model to left foot
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the foot,left of YOUR_UNIT using YOUR MODEL
This Trigger will attach model to right foot
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the foot,right of YOUR_UNIT using YOUR MODEL
This Trigger will attach model to weapon
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the weapon of YOUR_UNIT using YOUR MODEL
This Trigger will attach model to origin
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of YOUR_UNIT using YOUR MODEL

Level 3
We have:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/how-attach-model-effect-unit-7314/

I am not sure if this is necessary. Feel free to argue in favor of approving your tutorial. I think it has some redeeming aspects--it has great pictures, but I don't know if it warrants having it as an extra tutorial in the database.

Also, sorry for the long wait.

Well I think you should approve this because this tutorial is detailed useful for World Editor beginners.

You presented simple and just one of many ways to handle attachments, your method
has pros and cons, compared to others. As we all know items can have only like 5
abilities (If I remember right) so with this you reduced that number by 1. Not big deal,
but maps that use attachments are mostly RPG maps and we all want unique super cool
items that give damage, armor, AS, attributes, critical and if we add more we have a
problem :)

You should cover other ways to get this approved.

Level 30
Thanks! lol, I didn't know it was this easy, i thought i had to attach the model when a unit aqcuires it then remove it when it is dropped.

Yes, this is a simpler way and no delays will happen while in triggers I do know there will be delays. Tho, the only letdown of this is when you dont have enough space in the ability to put the ability with the attachment, you're dead.

Level 21
Spellbooks.
Use spellbooks and you can have ANY amount of passives on 1 item by using just one slot.
If the item is also meant to have an active ability, then the active simply needs to be higher up in the list, then the spellbook will not be opened.