• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[GUI] Advanced Triggering Tips

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
[GUI]*Advanced Triggering Tips

Advanced Triggering Tips

Why I am writing this

I see lots of GUI scripts which make the same mistakes again and again, whether it be by leaks or by adding work to the list that doesn't need to be added.​

Hopeful goals

I hope GUI users will learn to pay better attention to what they are working with and save a bit of time.​

Leak removal tips

I often see people come here asking for "does this thing leak?" without realizing that leak-spotting is not a magical ability but a simple science.

- Example

• Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
That's probably the most seemingly-magical custom script out there, which is probably why most people aren't using it. The "magic" is found in the JASS code, so the next part, if you don't mind a little JASS intimidation, will turn the magic into science:

JASS:
//===========================================================================
function ForGroupBJ takes group whichGroup, code callback returns nothing
    // If the user wants the group destroyed, remember that fact and clear
    // the flag, in case it is used again in the callback.
    local boolean wantDestroy = bj_wantDestroyGroup
    set bj_wantDestroyGroup = false

call ForGroup(whichGroup, callback)

// If the user wants the group destroyed, do so now.
    if (wantDestroy) then
        call DestroyGroup(whichGroup)
    endif
endfunction

Yep, real magic. You can see the operations at the scripting level and realize that bj_wantDestroyGroup, if true, will simply tell the game to destroy the group, not "somehow destroy the group in some mysterious way".

- So what's a ForGroupBJ, and does it taste good on salad?

ForGroupBJ is, in Trigger terminology, "Unit Group - Pick all units in (Unit group) and do (Actions)". So, right before entering any "Pick all units", just set the bj_wantDestroyGroup variable and you're set and ready.

Isn't that a lot easier than setting the group to a temporary variable, doing the "pick all units", then adding a custom script variable to destroy the group? I certainly like to think so.

Just make sure to watch out for any "pick all units" in your map, because there is a custom script eager to help you destroy those memory leaks. Here are the other things you can use it for:

• Uses
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Count = (Number of units in (Unit group))
      • Set Unit = (Random unit from (Unit group))
      • Set Boolean = (All units in (Unit group) are dead) Equal to True
      • Set Boolean = ((Unit group) is empty) Equal to True
      • Unit Group - Add all units in (Unit group) to (Unit group)
      • -------- The first group will be destroyed in the above case --------
      • Unit Group - Remove all units in (Unit group) from (Unit group)
      • -------- The first group will be destroyed in the above case --------

Other tips

I don't know about the other "Leak Removal Experts", but here's how I decode GUI into a readable format for detecting leaks and other things:

"(" and ")"​

What's that, you ask? Those are "magic" indicators "magically" (or, to some, "annoyingly") placed throughout your GUI script.

No, really, they almost always indicate what is in JASS a "function call". If you notice, every instance of "Integer A" from a "For each (Integer A)" loop is surrounded by (parenthesis).

This is because it is a call to a function "GetForLoopIndexA()" instead of "bj_forLoopAIndex", which is what you're really working with and what the function returns.

Because of this, looping with Integer A has slower performance than looping your own custom integer. For people who value execution speed of code and other programming gibberish, (this) should be a sign.

Examples

• (Position of (Triggering unit))
Look at that. Two sets of parenthesis because... two function calls are involved: GetUnitLoc(GetTriggerUnit()). Both the location and the unit should be stored in a variable (especially the location, if you know what I mean) if called more than 2 or 3 times, because this cuts down on function calls.

• (Player((Integer A)))
  • (Owner of (Triggering unit))

Decrease your menu-scrolling time

Not only is (Triggering unit) <<faster>> than (Casting unit) or (Dying unit) in terms of execution time, it's actually faster to click because it is always the first option on the menu tree. Just use (Triggering unit) and, of course, set it to a variable if you use it more than 2-3 times.

Now that that's been mentioned, how about (Owner of (Triggering unit))? Ever notice that (Triggering player) is the first item on the menu-tree? That's because it's able to be used in more cases than you could imagine.

Every event which is selectable as "Any unit ---" is, in JASS, a "playerunitevent". This means that it has two triggering components, a unit, and a player.

Long story short, every "Any unit event" can use (Triggering player) instead of (Owner of (Triggering unit)) and get the same results.

This will cut down on your menu-scrolling time as well as game execution time, so it's faster in every sense of the word.

You can thank PurgeAndFire for showing me the (Triggering player) trick.

Most Common Leaks - Thanks to Hashjie for this tip

• (Position of (Unit))
  • (Position of (Item))
  • (Center of (Region))
  • (Position of (Triggering unit) offset by 50.00 towards (Position of (Attacking unit)))
  • -------- --------
  • Set TempPoint = (Position of (Unit))
  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)

Unit groups

• Unit Group - Pick all units in (Unit group) and do (Actions)
  • (Number of units in (Unit group))
  • -------- --------
  • Set TempGroup = (Unit group)
  • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_TempGroup)
Or, more superior, as mentioned, before "units in group" or "pick all units", just place the "magic" line:

Player groups

• Game - Text Message to (Player Group)
  • -------- --------
  • Set TempForce = (Player Group)
  • Custom script: call DestroyForce(udg_TempForce)

Special effects

• Special Effect - (Destroy (Last created Special Effect))

Lightning effects

• Set LightningVar = (Last created Lightning Effect)
  • Custom script: call DestroyLightning(udg_LightningVar)

Dummy units

• Unit - Make (Last created unit) explode on death
  • Unit - Add 1.00 Second Generic Expiration Timer to (Last created unit)

Floating Text

• Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 5.00 seconds
  • -------- Or --------
  • Floating Text - Destroy (Last created floating text)

Notes

Plenty of other things leak, most of which are a waste of time when working with GUI, but just keep in mind that pre-placed things in GUI usually should just be left alone (regions, sounds, triggers) as they are non-repeating leaks (aren't created+leaked over and over).​

Why are memory leaks important to watch out for?

If you haven't experienced first-hand, I suppose an explaination is in order.

You know that part of a computer called RAM? You need at least 128 of it to play WarCraft III, a recommended 512 IIRC. That's because WarCraft III idles at 100-ish MB of RAM. If you look at how much RAM WarCraft III is running, you'll notice it's higher when there are more units on the map than if there were few or none (on older computers it's often associated with slow performance as well). This is the RAM each object in the game is taking up - units, trees, doodads, items and those invisible things called locations, unit groups, player groups and more... so removing those things instead of leaving them in existence means that WarCraft III won't take up so much RAM.​

Other tips

If you use "pick all units" or "pick all players", you cannot use waits inside of the loops they give. Yeah, most people don't realize this. Any why should they? It's a weird thing that it doesn't work. But here you go:

• Error
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick all units in (Units in (Playable Map Area)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • -------- Some stuff --------
          • Wait - 1.00 seconds
          • -------- More stuff --------
In that case, "more stuff" will never happen. You need:

• Error
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick all units in (Units in (Playable Map Area)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • -------- Some stuff --------
          • Trigger - Run Error Fixed <Gen> (Ignoring conditions)
And...

• Error Fixed
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Wait - 1.00 seconds
      • -------- More stuff --------

Efficiency

Efficiency is the one of the most important thing about coding. Most people don't talk about efficiency for GUI triggers because they give it up as a "lost cause". I firmly disagree - even though GUI scripts can't be as efficient as doing everything in custom script (JASS), there are steps that can be taken to make it better - any improvements are welcome.

One of the first things people start doing when figuring out how to make JASS execute faster is store things like (Triggering unit) and (Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit)) into local variables, and reference the variables instead of calling functions. GUI users often miss this. The problem is that GUI users don't usually look at "(" and ")" as function calls - but in almost all cases, that is indeed what they are.

As a GUI user, those parenthesis should become very important for you when reviewing your code. When you see a lot of repetition in parenthesis ((Integer A) is also a function call), you should be looking out for ways to avoid using them for the same thing more than once or twice. Setting them to a variable is the best way to achieve this.

• Set Caster = (Triggering unit)
  • Set Index = (Player number of (Triggering player))
  • Set Level = (Level of Blizzard for Caster)

Conclusion

I don't even read the whole GUI trigger to spot for memory leaks, I just look for the (parenthesis) and find out everything I need to know. I see this:

• Example
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Blizzard
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
And I know that:

(Ability being cast) is a function call, (Owner of (Casting unit)) is two function calls, (Position of (Casting unit)) is two function calls, and I think to myself, "how can we shorten the amount of parenthesis?"

The result:

• Example
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Blizzard
    • Actions
      • Set TempLoc = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Triggering player) at TempLoc facing Default building facing degrees
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempLoc)
As I'm scanning through the triggers, what I'm really doing is scanning through a list of (parenthesis), and it makes it very easy to see when a location or something else is created so I can think about if it needs to be removed.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
great tutorial, extremely usefull too. I already knew almost everything about this. But this is verry good to get rid of all these questions in the world editor help/triggers and scripts forums about if their trigger leaks or not.
And especially for the bj_wantDestroyGroup which I have seen a lot of people ask about. (Including me, some time ago xD)

You might however want to show the other leak removal scripts and how to use them.
Maybe a little explenation of what leaks are and why we would remove them?
Maybe tell them something about waits, MUI and stuff like that too?
This way you can completely cover it up.

Here's a little list:

Custom script: call DestroyForce( udg_Your_Variable ) //Player Group
Custom script: call RemoveRect( udg_Your_Variable ) //Region
Custom script: call DestroyLightning( udg_Your_Variable ) //Lightning Effect
Custom script: call DestroyTextTag( udg_Your_Variable ) //Floating Text

Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 5.00 seconds //Floating Text (in GUI)
Floating Text - Destroy (Last created floating text) //Floating Text (in GUI)

Custom script: call DestroyTimer( udg_Your_Variable ) //Countdown Timer
Custom script: call DestroyTrigger( GetTriggeringTrigger() ) //Trigger

Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit) //Unit (in GUI)

I might have forgotten a few, I hope you'll work this out.

I'm going to use this tutorial as a referral for the next one who asks the question if their trigger leaks :)

If I could rate this it would get a 5/5 from me
+rep for this great idea :)

Last edited:
Bribe maybe you can add next few things into tutorial as well...

1. Explain difference:
    • X
      • Events
        • Map initialization
        • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.00 seconds
      • Conditions
      • Actions
  2. This situation here:
    Worst way
    • X1
      • Events
        • Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Player - Add 666 to Player 1 (Red) Current gold
    +
    • X2
      • Events
        • Player - Player 2 (Blue) skips a cinematic sequence
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Player - Add 666 to Player 2 (Blue) Current gold
    Better way

• X
      • Events
        • Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
        • Player - Player 2 (Blue) skips a cinematic sequence
        • Player - Player 3 (Teal) skips a cinematic sequence
        • Player - Player 4 (Purple) skips a cinematic sequence
        • Player - Player 5 (Yellow) skips a cinematic sequence
        • Player - Player 6 (Orange) skips a cinematic sequence
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Player - Add 666 to (Triggering player) Current gold
    The best way
    • X1
      • Events
        • Map initialization
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • For each (Integer i) from 1 to 12, do (Actions)
          • Loop - Actions
            • Trigger - Add to X2 <gen> the event (Player - (Player(i)) skips a cinematic sequence)
    +
    • X2
      • Events
      • Conditions
      • Actions
  3. Difference between
    • X1
      • Events
        • Unit - A unit Dies
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
          • If - Conditions
            • ((Triggering unit) is A structure) Equal to True
          • Then - Actions
          • Else - Actions
          • If - Conditions
            • ((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
          • Then - Actions
          • Else - Actions
    and
    • X2
      • If - Conditions
      • Then - Actions
      • Else - Actions
          • If - Conditions
          • Then - Actions
          • Else - Actions
You already know all of this and how to explain, I just think it can be really useful for map/spell makers.
Also some triggers above can be good examples for your discussion about custom loop integers or calling (triggering player) instead (owner of (triggering unit))

Nice tutorial indeed :thumbs_up:

Level 3
Kobas I know most what you are saying but can you explain to me the difference between the following?

Difference between
  • X1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
and
  • X2
    • If - Conditions
    • Then - Actions
    • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
The second example shows the second if-block placed inside the "Else - Actions" block of the first if-block. Instead of:

JASS:
if condition then
    //Something
endif
if condition2 then
    //Something else
endif

It basically becomes:

JASS:
if condition then
    //Something
elseif condition2 then
    //Something else
endif

The second being better because if "condition" is true, "condition2" will never be evaluated (as such a thing would be useless)

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

A great tutorial, too bad this wasn't around when I was learning the ropes.

But the floating text - isn't it removed when you disable its permanence and set it to lasting X seconds? Why do you have to manually put remove last created floating text.

+rep and a well written tut.

Level 6
  • Set TempFloat = (Last created floating text)
  • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of TempFloat to 0.90 seconds
What about this?

Causes the text to immediately disappear.

Or doesn't that thing leak in the first place? I'm a bit confused and not even sure whether I understand what exactly is causing a leak. (I understand the "parenthesis" part though)

Level 6
Aah. Well I was confused since the following worked just well:

• Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 0.90 seconds
I thought the lifespan was needed so the text would not disappear after destroying it. Seems I'm really bad at those things. Thanks for the update, makes sense now!

Level 2
Wow, i never knew about some of these things, like that you could use Triggering Player instead of owner of triggering unit... that would have saved me so much time xD

One thing i don't get is, in your code to remove dummy units, you make the unit explode on death. Why? If you set the field to Can't Raise, Can't Decay in the Object Editor, wouldn't it not leave a corpse behind regardless? o_O

Level 3
I haven't read the whole tutorial, I just took a glance at it, but I didn't see the correction to another very common error, so I'll just post it here (feel free to add to the main post):

Sometimes people make triggers which can be repeated, but the person doesn't know that, let's consider this example:

Anywhere = variable for any region

[trigger=Error Trigger]Any Trigger
Events
Unit - a unit enters Anywhere
Conditions
Actions
Do something[/trigger]

If the map is multiplayer, you see the error right away: If one player is near another and they both enter the region, the trigger will be executed twice, or the ammount of times equal to the number of units which entered the region.
Also, singleplayer maps get bugs too. If, for example, the map is too long and the person loses in the final boss. He wants to know what happens on the end, so he puts "Whosyourdaddy" and rushes to the final boss, not killing the creeps. The same error happens when his character and the creeps after him enter the region.

Now, for the fix. I found a way to deal with this ever since I began making maps, because I usually make multiplayer maps for my brother and I to play, so I had this problem a lot.

[trigger=Fixed Trigger]Any Trigger
Events
Unit - a unit enters Anywhere
Conditions
Actions
Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
Do Something[/trigger]

Do this on every trigger you make, one more line won't kill you and you will avoid any future bug which you might spend hours trying to find the source. (note: this bug happens for any kind of action, but most commonly on units entering regions, that's why this is the example)
Do NOT put the "Turn off (This trigger)" at the end of the trigger, if your trigger lasts for some time, there could be enough time for another unit to get into that region, causing the same bug, so always put it on first line.

Also note that you can turn the trigger on anytime you want using the following:

[trigger=Turn Trigger On]Any Trigger 2
Events
Something happens
Conditions
Actions
Trigger - Turn on Any Trigger[/trigger]

Level 14
@Ber352

Or... You set up some conditions instead of turning off the trigger.
Also this tutorial is about leak removal and optimization, which I suggest you should take a good look at.
It's got nothing to do with what you where saying.

Level 3
@Hashjie

Yeah, I was planning on looking at it soon, also, even if not added to the main post, one tip there won't hurt anyone, will it? Plus, it can be helpfull (and tbh I have no idea where to put it, I'm not gonna create a new thread just for one lil tip, it's kinda a waste of space) :grin:
Also, sometimes you don't want a condition on the trigger (ex: red player unit enters region), you want all the players to be able to start the trigger or something, making doing a condition way harder than simply putting a "Turn off (This trigger)"

If you turn trigger off it will disable actions for other players, but maybe you want to give +250 exp to each player hero that enter certain region.
I suggest boolean array in this case.

Code:
Events:
     -Unit Enter THIS region
Conditions:
Actions:
     If B[PlayerNumber] == false then
          set B[PlayerNumber] = true
          ---- Actions ----
     endif
I use this as raw example it really doesn't mater will you code it with GUI or script idea is same.

Level 2
Thank you for pointing that out. I have fixed it in the main post:
  • Set LightningVar = (Last created Lightning Effect)
  • Custom script: call DestroyLightning(udg_LightningVar)
It should be DestroyLightning() instead of RemoveLightning(), as shown above. (RemoveLightning() does not exist)

• Lightning - Destroy (Last created lightning effect)
exists as a GUI function, why do you need to JASS it?

Also, I found that (Triggering Player) does not correctly replace (Owner of Unit(Entering Unit)) for
  • Unit - A unit enters Region

Ah, I don't have the editor on this computer so I didn't know that. I will update it later. :)

Also, for (Triggering Player), it only works for PlayerUnitEvent/PlayerEvent (when converted to JASS) events. The region event isn't. But thanks for that, I see that the main post's statement was a bit broad so I will try to find time to update it for which GUI ones work and which ones don't.