• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Age discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey guys.
So what I wanted to talk about in this topic is discrimination of teenagers. In this world it's like adults are more powerful than teens. For example: when you have an arguement with an adult you're always wrong and the adult is right. Everyone beleives an adult's word over a teen's. Adults can humiliate you and easily get away with it. They can hurt you in any other ways and no one says anything to them. When you think about it you realize just how unfair the world is. I'm pretty sure this has happened to every single teenager in the world, but they just hadn't given it a thought. So I just wanted people's opinions on this. And I bet if you give teens a chance they have greater ideas and better potential than adults.

Level 14
Grow up.

Adults can be right most of times, as they can be more knowledgeable about life and success. However a lot of times they aren't. Furthermore fathers are usually more strict, and it's something which will not change, while mothers are more open to the desires of teenagers, even if they are of some areas she doesn't understand.

You should always go your own way though, listen to adults as guide lines. Working on your own path and succeeding is the best way to show an adult your right.

Edit: Life is unfair.

Level 26
Adults have lived with that shit before you have. Thus, they have more experience and as a result is trusted more. Who would you trust with your plumbing?
An experienced man who knows what the hell he's doing or a thirteen year old with a plumbing for dummies book in his collection?

The reason why adults have more power is obvious. To teach teenagers how the world works. One very interesting aspects that has been taught even now is that life isn't fair.
People starve in one country while others die of eating too much food in another.

Somewhere else a rich kid can live all of his life as if he was a kid, where somewhere else a kid may never be a kid, because he has to work in some random factory to help his family get food for the day.
To be treated as a kid when you are a kid is not a discrimination. Quite the opposite. To be treated as an adult and being expected to work when you are kid, that would be true discrimination imo.

If it's a person of authority verbally abusing you, calling you names. In connection with a school, you simply report the guy. If that isn't the case, you tell your parents and sue the bastard.
If you're simply annoyed by adults belittling you, calling you and treating you like a kid. A teen is a kid. So if that's the case, I refer you to what I said above.

Level 1
Grow up.

Adults can be right most of times, as they can be more knowledgeable about life and success. However a lot of times they aren't. Furthermore fathers are usually more strict, and it's something which will not change, while mothers are more open to the desires of teenagers, even if they are of some areas she doesn't understand.

You should always go your own way though, listen to adults as guide lines. Working on your own path and succeeding is the best way to show an adult your right.

Edit: Life is unfair.

Yes, I know adults know more about life, but most of the time they think they know everything and whats good for teens. They don't want their kids to make same mistakes as they did but when you don't go through something yourself you don't understand just how bad it is. Adults go too far to help their kids go the right way but sometimes you gotta let them see it for themselves, otherwise how are they gonna learn?
Like a toddler doesn't know something can hurt him until it actually does and only then will he know what to do.

Level 51
Yes, I know adults know more about life, but most of the time they think they know everything and whats good for teens. They don't want their kids to make same mistakes as they did but when you don't go through something yourself you don't understand just how bad it is. Adults go too far to help their kids go the right way but sometimes you gotta let them see it for themselves, otherwise how are they gonna learn?
Like a toddler doesn't know something can hurt him until it actually does and only then will he know what to do.

Most times they actually knowwhat's good for the teens, they have it been themselves. And you must understand them. You are their baby, their everything. If they would make it like this: Just let him try, he will learn it by himself, they would be idiotic. Ofc. in some cases they will do that, but only really sometimes, as they just don't want that you are getting hurt or so whatever. I'm 13 too, and I often have the same problems, but in the end I face that they just want the best for you.

Level 1
Adults have lived with that shit before you have. Thus, they have more experience and as a result is trusted more. Who would you trust with your plumbing?
An experienced man who knows what the hell he's doing or a thirteen year old with a plumbing for dummies book in his collection?

The reason why adults have more power is obvious. To teach teenagers how the world works. One very interesting aspects that has been taught even now is that life isn't fair.
People starve in one country while others die of eating too much food in another.

Somewhere else a rich kid can live all of his life as if he was a kid, where somewhere else a kid may never be a kid, because he has to work in some random factory to help his family get food for the day.
To be treated as a kid when you are a kid is not a discrimination. Quite the opposite. To be treated as an adult and being expected to work when you are kid, that would be true discrimination imo.

If it's a person of authority verbally abusing you, calling you names. In connection with a school, you simply report the guy. If that isn't the case, you tell your parents and sue the bastard.
If you're simply annoyed by adults belittling you, calling you and treating you like a kid. A teen is a kid. So if that's the case, I refer you to what I said above.

I understand what you're trying to say. But when you read this post can you put yourself in place of a teenager instead of defending your side right off. In every arguement there's always more than 1 side and everyone tries to prove their point without actually trying to understand the other side of the arguement.

I wanted to add that until today I didn't give a crap if the adults showed me even a bit of respect or not. But when you start thinking about it (as you know every human is born with natural rights) (I know it sounds cheesy but it's the truth!) you realize that your rights are being violated all the time, because if and adult actually abuses you with no witnesses to prove whatsoever you can't later prove that it actually happened because as I've said before everyone will beleive the adult's word.

And what you said about the plumber and the kid. As I said before if teenagers have been given a chance they can be just as responsible as adults are. So if it was the other way around would you trust the experienced thirteen year old or the adult with a plumbing for dummies book?

Level 1
Most times they actually knowwhat's good for the teens, they have it been themselves. And you must understand them. You are their baby, their everything. If they would make it like this: Just let him try, he will learn it by himself, they would be idiotic. Ofc. in some cases they will do that, but only really sometimes, as they just don't want that you are getting hurt or so whatever. I'm 13 too, and I often have the same problems, but in the end I face that they just want the best for you.

If you TRULY are 13 you wouldn't understand what I'm talking about just yet.

P.S. No offence.

Level 1
By the way, maybe you guys wouldn't understand what I'm talking about because maybe you don't live in New York.

In my country we MUST respect our elderly no matter what and especially our parents. But you have no idea how the adults misuse the unwritten law!!! Oh man, if you just had a glimpse of how teens suffer from adults abusion there you would happily go to jail (if you were a teen) instead of that.

I know some might think that I'm exagerating, and I AM! But most of the time it's just like i described.

P.S. sorry for poor english.

I like to believe that respect must only be mutual for a stable relationship between two individuals.
You respect your parents, and they love you. Fair enough, right?

When it comes to people you don't know.. well, here's a quote that I find fitting:
“I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.” ~Marshal Mathers

Level 51

P.S. No offence.

How funny is it, that you are doing the same to me as your parents are doing to you. Don't you see it? Because of my age, you instantly say that I don't understand it. See what I mean?

The older ones always know more (in most cases) as they have more experience, (as mentioned a few times already) thus you sealed me with nescience, because you think you know more then me (which ofc. may be possible).

Level 26
I understand what you're trying to say. But when you read this post can you put yourself in place of a teenager instead of defending your side right off. In every arguement there's always more than 1 side and everyone tries to prove their point without actually trying to understand the other side of the arguement.

I wanted to add that until today I didn't give a crap if the adults showed me even a bit of respect or not. But when you start thinking about it (as you know every human is born with natural rights) (I know it sounds cheesy but it's the truth!) you realize that your rights are being violated all the time, because if and adult actually abuses you with no witnesses to prove whatsoever you can't later prove that it actually happened because as I've said before everyone will beleive the adult's word.

And what you said about the plumber and the kid. As I said before if teenagers have been given a chance they can be just as responsible as adults are. So if it was the other way around would you trust the experienced thirteen year old or the adult with a plumbing for dummies book?

I was defending your side. As a kid, you'll have to fight and learn to debate with more reasonable arguments. Once you begin being taken more seriously, you'll basically be grown up. But you've worked yourself to death to get there. If you assume that all adults will per default be smarter and more trusted than a kid. That statement is inaccurate. You are comparing yourself who is working to death to be accepted by society to men who has worked themselves to feel accepted who has gone past it and got themselves jobs.

A homeless adult wouldn't be trusted more than a teenager.

Everyone was not born with natural rights. That's naive, you're taking the freedom bestowed on you by your country for granted. That right is limited to how much you fight and how much luck you got. How dedicated you are to argument to make others listen. There's many places in the world where the freedom you take for granted is merely an impossible dream. Adults telling the young what to do is not discrimination, it's essential for a functioning society.

Reversing my example doesn't matter. If there's a 13 year old that states that he know better than a man that knows nothing, the most reasonable solution for that man would be to call a plumber and pay that plumber with his hard earned cash from his job. To state that this is a cheap move would also be wrong, as the man there has struggled through lifes challenges and allowed him to do this as he had earned it.

The level of rights you have depends on how much you struggle to attain them. If you lived a life without challenges, you wouldn't be able to defend yourself if you suddenly encountered one. Unfairness and stubborn adults is a part of lifes struggles. There's no shortcuts in life.

Adults generally know best because they've struggled to a point in their life where they don't want to be pestered by a little kid who tells them that they are wrong. Just as you demonstrated a while ago, you were annoyed by a person who were younger than you. XD

Last edited:
Level 13
the thing is, a great percentage of adults where once younger, some of them were once teens themselves, even, then they grew up and became smarter. i know i'm smarter than i was 5 years ago, so i aprove of dismissing teenagers' opinions, then beating the crap out of them for challenging my superior wisdom

Level 6
So deep and EDGY XD I am a rebel!! xdddd

Seriously, kids complain that they're not listened to because they don't know any better. As a kid, you were often frustrated that you weren't listened to, that you were ignored by your parents. This is because you were stupid, and in your case, are.
What you're experiencing is just a leftover from these feelings. You think you're smarter than you actually are due to the fact that you're growing up. You grow taller, you get pubic hair, your voice becomes deeper and you start to feel like an adult. However, this is not the case.

You say you dislike the fact that e.g. your parents will tell you what's best for you, even though you disagree. You dislike that they pretend to know more about you than you yourself do. They do know a lot about you, but that's not what they're trying to do.
It's like if you're playing a video game, and in it there's a platform that will fall if you step on it, making you fall into a set of spikes. Your parents will say "Hey, if you walk over that platform it will fall and you'll end up in a set of spikes. Don't walk over that platform."
This is where your rebellion phase kicks in, and all you hear is "Don't walk over that platform." Either you walk over the platform as a rebellious act, or you don't and grow angry at your parents for trying to control you. It's a vicious cycle.

There is more to this metaphor, however. The reason why your parents know about the platform is because they've played the game before. This is a game of trial and error. Sure, it isn't much fun playing a game if there's someone besides you telling you everything that will happen, preventing you from exploring it yourself. However, a good parent will know when to let their child explore on its own and when to restrict it not to. If you had a said good parent, then by your teenage years you will see a sign next to the platform. The sign will say "Caution: This platform will fall leading to an inevitable death. Do not walk over it." This is because a good parent has already prepared you for this. But even if a good parent has prepared you for the platform by your teenage years, there is something no parent can stop. That's the rebellious phase.

Unfortunately, every teenager will experience it at some degree. It's just a result of being inbetween childhood and adulthood. You don't really have a stance. You don't have anything that defines your character. You don't know whether to swing in the swings or say "Swings? How childish." The funny thing is that the adult will not, or should not, find the swings childish. It's just a delusion by teenagers that certain things are childish, which is why they disregard them in order to sound like an adult. But I digress.
The point is, as I said, that as a teenager you have nothing to define your character, which is why you will try to do so on your own by going through various phases, trying to find "yourself". So, when you get to that platform, you will perhaps see a sign that tells you not to walk over it, and your parents will tell you the same, you hesitate and think: "Is this me? Am I just a robot that follows the rules of others? No... I am special." So you walk over the platform, only to realize that the sign and your parents are trying to help you; not control you. But of course, you will never fully realize this until you grow up and reach full adulthood. Some people actually never grow up out of this, and are stuck in an eternal rebellious phase. That is not a pretty sight.

So do what ever you want. Inevitably, you will grow out of whatever you're experiencing. You will look back, and think "gee, was I stupid".
If someone treats you with less respect, or listens less to you just because of your age, then he is right to do so. It's the same as if a 6 year old walks up to a man trying to defuse a bomb, and says "Hey, cut the red wire, red is my favorite color :-D", and the man takes it into deep consideration. It's stupid.

Last edited:
Adults primarily know more things that teens from experience, and know how to react better. Nowadays, teens are to engrossed in gaming to have viable opinions and ideas about the outside world.

When they are reprimanded or punished in some sense, they think it abuse. Personally, I think corporal punishment is a good thing. Teaches kids to respect rules and regulations, and teaches them to respect their parents. Many teens who think they know more than adults, do not, in fact, know more. They just think they do, but when it comes down to it, they know very little. Grant it, teens nowadays learn more highly ranked academics in school than back in the days of most adults.

This is about the longest and most pointless post I have written in about two years. wonderful.

Level 51
So deep and EDGY XD I am a rebel!! xdddd

Seriously, kids complain that they're not listened to because they don't know any better. As a kid, you were often frustrated that you weren't listened to, that you were ignored by your parents. This is because you were stupid, and in your case, are.
What you're experiencing is just a leftover from these feelings. You think you're smarter than you actually are due to the fact that you're growing up. You grow taller, you get pubic hair, your voice becomes deeper and you start to feel like an adult. However, this is not the case.

You say you dislike the fact that e.g. your parents will tell you what's best for you, even though you disagree. You dislike that they pretend to know more about you than you yourself do. They do know a lot about you, but that's not what they're trying to do.
It's like if you're playing a video game, and in it there's a platform that will fall if you step on it, making you fall into a set of spikes. Your parents will say "Hey, if you walk over that platform it will fall and you'll end up in a set of spikes. Don't walk over that platform."
This is where your rebellion phase kicks in, and all you hear is "Don't walk over that platform." Either you walk over the platform as a rebellious act, or you don't and grow angry at your parents for trying to control you. It's a vicious cycle.

There is more to this metaphor, however. The reason why your parents know about the platform is because they've played the game before. This is a game of trial and error. Sure, it isn't much fun playing a game if there's someone besides you telling you everything that will happen, preventing you from exploring it yourself. However, a good parent will know when to let their child explore on its own and when to restrict it not to. If you had a said good parent, then by your teenage years you will see a sign next to the platform. The sign will say "Caution: This platform will fall leading to an inevitable death. Do not walk over it." This is because a good parent has already prepared you for this. But even if a good parent has prepared you for the platform by your teenage years, there is something no parent can stop. That's the rebellious phase.

Unfortunately, every teenager will experience it at some degree. It's just a result of being inbetween childhood and adulthood. You don't really have a stance. You don't have anything that defines your character. You don't know whether to swing in the swings or say "Swings? How childish." The funny thing is that the adult will, or should not, find the swings childish. It's just a delusion by teenagers that certain things are childish, which is why they disregard them in order to sound like an adult. But I digress.
The point is, as I said, that as a teenager you have nothing to define your character, which is why you will try to do so on your own by going through various phases, trying to find "yourself". So, when you get to that platform, and you will perhaps see a sign that tells you not to walk over it, and your parents will tell you the same, you hesitate and think: "Is this me? Am I just a robot that follows the rules of others? No... I am special." So you walk over the platform, only to realize that the sign and your parents are trying to help you; not control you. But of course, you will never fully realize this until you grow up and reach full adulthood. Some people actually never grow up out of this, and are stuck in an eternal rebellious phase. That is not a pretty sight.

So do what ever you want. Inevitably, you will grow out of whatever you're experiencing. You will look back, and think "gee, was I stupid".
If someone treats you with more disrespect, or listens less to you just because of your age, then he is right to do so. It's the same as if a 6 year old walks up to a man trying to defuse a bomb, and says "Hey, cut the red wire, red is my favorite color :-D", and the man takes it into deep consideration. It's stupid.

Nice explained dude :)

Look buddy, I live in New York.

I'm a Teenager.

I'm a fucking MORON, and so are you.

You're wrong most of the time. Face it. You can be the little rebel, or you can try to grow a pair, and be responsible, respectful, and less bratty.

And I don't respect my parents because I've been brought up in a strict environment, its because my parents are honestly great people. People, including your parents will overlook your opinions for a good fucking reason, and that reason is experience. You are young, inexperienced, and you have to deal with that. Its how it works, Adults have good reason for disrespecting young people, and why shouldn't they, they were once in your shoes.

This thread is a prime example of what we are talking about, and impulsive, defensive outburst. Your parents know you so well. They know all the things that you have done in your life, they changed your bloody diaper, and wiped your ass. The average single child costs their parents in the range of 100 to 200 thousand dollars. Give them the respect they deserve. Is that a gift or a loan?

EroticSideburns said it euphemistically, (More than i have patience for.) but with great eloquence. He got it right.

EDIT -

Don't listen to Mid, hes crazy. Except for the not knowing more bit.

TWIF, there is one minor, incorrect thing in your post. The average child by the time they turn eighteen, have cost the average families parents about a half a million dollars.

Your parents may support you in many cases, but they are not there to support you in all. They are there to enforce rules, teach you manners, and get you ready for your life in the real world. Hell, your parents aren't even required by law, at least in the USA, to be nice to you. They only have to provide Food, Shelter, Clothing, and a place to sleep. They can be complete dicks to you by law, and have few repercussions. Personally, when I have children, I will take my time in prison for the right to spank my child when they are bad. It's my personal opinion, and my freedom.

I personally think many kids nowadays need to go to military school, or to the military itself, that way they learn some respect for adults, and others. As well as respect for their country.

TWIF, there is one minor, incorrect thing in your post. The average child by the time they turn eighteen, have cost the average families parents about a half a million dollars.

I just finished reading a Dissertation that said otherwise Midnighters.

Your parents may support you in many cases, but they are not there to support you in all. They are there to enforce rules, teach you manners, and get you ready for your life in the real world. Hell, your parents aren't even required by law, at least in the USA, to be nice to you.

Your parents have no legal obligations other than to have you educate you until grade 6 (Changes based on state) in america. Of course without breaking the law too, I.E. keep you reasonably healthy. If we are talking about social responsibility, then Midnighters is expression a conservative christian viewpoint of parenting responsibility.

They can be complete dicks to you by law, and have few repercussions. Personally, when I have children, I will take my time in prison for the right to spank my child when they are bad. It's my personal opinion, and my freedom.

These people believe in physically forcing their viewpoints upon their children, through physical repression/beating ect. And usually results in violent children like midnighters, who feel the need to join the military and kill shit. (Fighting wars in countries with people his religion teaches him are nas-ty) :) Be happy you rage by posting threads and not people.

Be an adult, troll.

Level 11
Its very important that the parents and the government do their best to teach and educate the new generation to keep the society going.

After all, we gotta clean up their mess for the next decades -.-

Last edited:
Level 27
So what I wanted to talk about in this topic is discrimination of teenagers. In this world it's like adults are more powerful than teens.
True.
When you have an argument with an adult you're always wrong and the adult is right.
False.
Everyone believes an adult's word over a teen's.
True.
Adults can humiliate you and easily get away with it. They can hurt you in any other ways and no one says anything to them.
False.
When you think about it you realize just how unfair the world is.
False.
This has happened to every single teenager in the world, but they just hadn't given it a thought.
False.
So I just wanted people's opinions on this.
False.
If you give teens a chance they have greater ideas and better potential than adults.
True.
You're too young to understand why this thread is worthless.
True.
A lot of times they aren't.
True.
It's something which will not change,
False.
You should always go your own way though,
False.
listen to adults as guide lines.
False.
Working on your own path and succeeding is the best way to show an adult your right.
True.
Life is unfair.
False.
That doesn't matter much to me.
False.
Adults know more about life,
False.
They think they know everything
False.
and whats good for teens.
True.
They don't want their kids to make same mistakes as they did but when you don't go through something yourself you don't understand just how bad it is. Adults go too far to help their kids go the right way.
True.
Sometimes you gotta let them see it for themselves, otherwise how are they gonna learn?
True.
True.
Most times they actually know what's good for the teens,
False.
You must understand them.
False.
You are their baby, their everything.
True.
If they would make it like this: Just let him try, he will learn it by himself, they would be idiotic.
False.
They just don't want that you are getting hurt or so whatever.
False.
They just want the best for you.
True.
I understand what you're trying to say.
False.
In every argument there's always more than 1 side and everyone tries to prove their point without actually trying to understand the other side of the argument.
True.
I didn't give a crap if the adults showed me even a bit of respect or not.
False.
Everyone will believe the adult's word.
False.
If teenagers have been given a chance they can be just as responsible as adults are.
Faaaaaaaaaalse.
False.
You'll have to fight and learn to debate with more reasonable arguments.
False.
Adults telling the young what to do is not discrimination, it's essential for a functioning society.
FALSE.
If you lived a life without challenges, you wouldn't be able to defend yourself if you suddenly encountered one.
False.
There's no shortcuts in life.
False.
Adults generally know best
False.
because they've struggled to a point in their life where they don't want to be pestered by a little kid who tells them that they are wrong.
True.
Kids complain that they're not listened to because they don't know any better.
True.
You think you're smarter than you actually are due to the fact that you're growing up.
False.
Your parents will say "Hey, if you walk over that platform it will fall and you'll end up in a set of spikes.
False.
Don't walk over that platform."
True.
There is something no parent can stop. That's the rebellious phase.
False.
You don't have anything that defines your character.
False.
If someone treats you with less respect, or listens less to you just because of your age, then he is right to do so.
False.
Adults primarily know more things that teens from experience, and know how to react better.
Argh, yes, it's true.

But children are often far superior than all others in terms of "how to react."
Teaches kids to respect rules and regulations, and teaches them to respect their parents.
False.
Nice explained dude :)
True.
You're wrong most of the time.
False.
People, including your parents will overlook your opinions for a good fucking reason, and that reason is experience.
False.
You have to deal with that.
...False.
<.<
>.>
Its how it works,
True.
Adults have good reason for disrespecting young people,
False.
Is that a gift or a loan?
True.

I mean gift.
Don't listen to Mid, hes crazy.
False.
They are there to enforce rules,
False.
teach you manners,
True.
and get you ready for your life in the real world.
False.
False.
That way they learn some respect for adults, and others. As well as respect for their country.
False.
With this sort of thing it only matters what the subject is about,
True.
Its very important that the parents and the government do their best to teach and educate the new generation to keep the society going.
FALSE.

I was a lot more naive yesterday than I am today. In some ways, you could say I was "stupider" then, or "smarter" now. This is every day of my life. But, unlike more people, there is no point in time at which I have been wrong.

See, I went through a perhaps different phase than most people. I believed children would do a better job at running the world. Yes, that is incorrect, but I was not wrong. I simply hadn't realized yet that it wasn't adults that were the problem. It was people all along. I wasn't wrong; I was just out of focus; my focus was too specific.

And then I ran out of time and had my train of thought hijacked so you had better reply to this so I can get back on track. >:V

True.

False.

True.

False.

False.

False.

False.

True.

True.

True.

False.

False.

False.

True.

False.

False.

False.

False.

True.

True.

True.

True.

False.

False.

True.

False.

False.

True.

False.

True.

False.

False.

Faaaaaaaaaalse.

False.

False.

FALSE.

False.

False.

False.

True.

True.

False.

False.

True.

False.

False.

False.

Argh, yes, it's true.

But children are often far superior than all others in terms of "how to react."

False.

True.

False.

False.

...False.
<.<
>.>

True.

False.

True.

I mean gift.

False.

False.

True.

False.

False.

False.

True.

FALSE.

I was a lot more naive yesterday than I am today. In some ways, you could say I was "stupider" then, or "smarter" now. This is every day of my life. But, unlike more people, there is no point in time at which I have been wrong.

See, I went through a perhaps different phase than most people. I believed children would do a better job at running the world. Yes, that is incorrect, but I was not wrong. I simply hadn't realized yet that it wasn't adults that were the problem. It was people all along. I wasn't wrong; I was just out of focus; my focus was too specific.

And then I ran out of time and had my train of thought hijacked so you had better reply to this so I can get back on track. >:V

False. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 9
we kids are treated like trash in shops. despite the gigantic sign, "The Customer is Always Right". We get ignored, people cut in front of us.

you people have severely confused poor Malygos.

good thing I know karate.

Level 6
I don't understand the point of your post, HAKEEM. Everyone here is only expressing their opinion about the subject, and an opinion cannot be true nor false. Although my style of writing may make it look like I'm basing it on facts (which is actually intended), I provide no sources of what I claim, so obviously it is my opinion, or my philosophy.

Instead of saying "I don't think so", or "In my opinon...", you just claim statements as either true or false. Maybe you mean to portray it as what you yourself find true or false, but then again you do not try to refute or reason with anything. If you want to present your counter-opinion over something you need to at least back it up with why you feel like it is false, and try to explain your disagreement.

Maybe your post is supposed to be a joke. It's your comedic way of expressing your opinion regarding the matter. However, you do so very condescendingly towards the other posters, as if you are superior and go by a "my opinion > your opinion" attitude.

You also constantly contradict yourself. You agree with a lot of statements that teenagers can have more potential than adults, and yet you also agree with a lot saying the opposite. From this I can gather that you base your true/false statements on yourself, and your own personal experiences. I'm guessing this, of course, but it would make a lot of sense. Then again, I can't know! I can't know because you provide so little material, which is why I can assume you contradict yourself.

What bothers me about your post, whether you're posting it as a comedic expression or not, is, as I said, how belittling you post. Especially how you will differently use "false", as "False", "FALSE", "Faaaaaaaalse", etc.. It is as if you are trying to say that this statement is more false than the other, but you do so in a very childish way.

Your post has no point. At least none to those other than yourself. No one is interested in your opinion if you don't explain it.

Level 26
True.

False.

True.

False.

False.
ect.

Granted. I never stated that when the adults tell the young what to do, that the young always listen. My point was this. They tell you what they want you to do, you choose if you want to listen to them. Then about, roughly the age of 14, they begin to ease you into taking care of yourself. They'll still tell you what to do, but they do it less. Then about the age of 17 they'll basically stop. They'll give you an advice a little now and then and ask you to do some basic chores but that about sums it up. Although you'll most likely be so preoccupied with school to notice.

I can't really agree with all the true or false answers though. This is more of a battle of differing views, different upbringing and different cultures in general.
Just as an example, sending kids to military school in my eyes, is a douche bag move, something that I would never do.

Last edited:
Level 27
@MiniMage: I found nothing in your latest post that I disagreed with or considered false.

Also I have no idea what you were responding to, on account on not using complete sentences in my post. Posts like mine are hell for the way the quoting mechanism on this forum works. I'm sure gonna think twice before pulling that stunt again. <_<
But is the disclaimer about the disclaimer sarcastic?
Technically, yes. But the way in which it is sarcastic is such that it does not invalidate my disclaimer.
I don't understand the point of your post, HAKEEM.
The point of my post was to elicit a response. There are two main ways you could respond to a post like that. You appear to have chosen the meta route; talking about the post itself. Not an invalid approach.

(I say "appear" because I haven't yet read your post at the time of writing this parenthetical. I skimming it slightly and decided I was going to respond to it, so I didn't bother reading it in full until now:)
Everyone here is only expressing their opinion about the subject, and an opinion cannot be true nor false.
True is an opinion that conforms with reality; false is that which doesn't. Your opinion either coheres to reality more or it coheres less. I'm not sure in which manner you're claiming they can't be true or false, but suffice it to say an opinion that is beyond criticism is an opinion that is detrimental to possess.
obviously it is my opinion,
Yes. Then I question you:
Instead of saying "I don't think so", or "In my opinon...", you just claim statements as either true or false.
If it's obvious, why should I say what I'm saying is what I believe?
You do not try to refute or reason with anything.
No, not in that initial post, I didn't. If you would like to hear an actual explanation behind any of my assertions...

Why don't you ask me about them? ;)
You need to at least back it up with why you feel like it is false.
False.
Try to explain your disagreement.
I generally do, you see.
Your post is supposed to be a joke.
False.
It's your comedic way of expressing your opinion regarding the matter.
Comedic? Eh, I didn't really see it that way, though there is a certain inherent humor in the way in which I have done it.
You do so very condescendingly towards the other posters, as if you are superior and go by a "my opinion > your opinion" attitude.
Do I?
You also constantly contradict yourself.
Show it; don't state it.

I believe these 5 words form the entire wisdom you're attempting to convey with your post that I am currently quoting. What use does the presently quoted section have, then? You are asserting that I contradict myself. Sure, you go on to explain it, but you still assert it, much as I asserted my beliefs with single words.
You agree with a lot of statements that teenagers can have more potential than adults, and yet you also agree with a lot saying the opposite.
False.
I can't know because you provide so little material, which is why I can assume you contradict yourself.
Why cop out and assume me illogical when I have not demonstrated as much? Can you see no way for my statements to all be my true beliefs without there being a contradiction in my set of beliefs?
You are trying to say that this statement is more false than the other.
True.
You do so in a very childish way.
False.

Nah just kidding.

This one is actually true.

It is very childish.

Or...

Am I not emulating the behavior of an adult?
Your post has no point. At least none to those other than yourself. No one is interested in your opinion if you don't explain it.
You seem intent on prying it out of me. I daresay you are immensely curious. Especially now that I'm discussing properly.

I personally think that military SHOULD be mandatory in the USA, it teaches you what really goes on, and gives you more insight into what the government is doing behind our backs.

TWIF, you views on physical punishment is your opinion, I was raised with spankings and paddlings, and am perfectly fine. It taught me to respect people. I may not always seem respectful to some of you here, but I was raised with the quote, "Do unto others as you would like done unto you," as well as, "An eye for an eye." I treat you the way you treat me, and expect at some point, people will do the same.

Physical punishment, IE. Spanking/Paddling, is not "beating." It is a form of reprimanding one for their actions. Mental punishment, such as sticking your nose in a corner, or taking things away, doesn't work with everyone. I honestly couldn't give two fucks about people taking my things away, I will find other ways to occupy my time. Physical punishment is the only way to get through to some kids.

Another thing, I am not going to the Marine Corps to go "kill shit," I am doing it to serve my country, and for my grandfather. I view it as a form of giving respect to my grandfather, for his time in the Marine Corps.

Regardless, to each his own. This is simply a thread full of opinions, and people getting trolled for said opinions.

I feel as though it does Hakeem.

and:

TWIF, you views on physical punishment is your opinion, I was raised with spankings and paddlings, and am perfectly fine.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

"Do unto others as you would like done unto you," as well as, "An eye for an eye." I treat you the way you treat me, and expect at some point, people will do the same.

So you spanked your father when he pissed you off?

Physical punishment, IE. Spanking/Paddling, is not "beating." It is a form of reprimanding one for their actions. Mental punishment, such as sticking your nose in a corner, or taking things away, doesn't work with everyone. I honestly couldn't give two fucks about people taking my things away, I will find other ways to occupy my time. Physical punishment is the only way to get through to some kids.

False.

Another thing, I am not going to the Marine Corps to go "kill shit," I am doing it to serve my country, and for my grandfather. I view it as a form of giving respect to my grandfather, for his time in the Marine Corps.

"serve your country?" The one you complain about? to fight in wars you don't agree with?

Regardless, to each his own. This is simply a thread full of opinions, and people getting trolled for said opinions.

We are trolling you because we think you are full of shit?

Level 6
HAKEEM said:
I'm not sure in which manner you're claiming they can't be true or false
The elementary one. An opinion is not a factual statement, and thus can't be claimed true or false as a factual statement, either.

HAKEEM said:
If it's obvious, why should I say what I'm saying is what I believe?
Your reply was rude. I was explaining why it was rude.

HAKEEM said:
Why don't you ask me about them? ;)
I should not have to. That's ridiculous.

HAKEEM said:
EroticSideburns said:
You need to at least back it up with why you feel like it is false.
False.
Not a very good place for sarcasm if you want me to take you seriously.

HAKEEM said:
Show it; don't state it.
I found it difficult to maneuver through your post, as it was very repetitive so it was hard to find the appropriate quote. Maybe an excuse for laziness, but if you look through your post yourself you can see what I was talking about.

HAKEEM said:
Why cop out and assume me illogical when I have not demonstrated as much?
I created that scenario in order to emphasize my point of your reply being pointless. I had the right to assume anything since you gave me so little to work with. I can easily drag out that you're contradicting yourself since you say perhaps "A == B; A =/= C", and then something like "B == C". That's obviously not right, but maybe there's more behind A, B and C. I don't know though, so I can safely say that it's faulty.

HAKEEM said:
You seem intent on prying it out of me. I daresay you are immensely curious.
Yes, well, I found your post inappropriate as I've said before. But sure, I was unnecessarily provoking this discussion out of not as much curiosity as boredom, as a forum I visited rather frequently found it coolio to ban me.

HAKEEM said:
Especially now that I'm discussing properly.
*More properly.

Level 26
First of all I wanna point out that I made this thread cause of my own feelings (no one cares) but because these things happen to some of my friends and some other guys I know. Second, I never said anything about parents being bad to their kids.

But back to my point: I mainly made this thread because I don't understand why these guys don't speak up.

Mostly these things happen to us in the: a) Libraries where the staff treats you like you're doing something criminalistic most of the time. Of course they can't do that to other adults.
b) Stores where the owner (adult of course) think every teen is a shoplifter or a criminal. I know that most of the time they're right to think so but they have to be reasonable. In my case that's really offensive (especially when they throw those suspicious looks) because I've never shoplifted in my life.

And it's not just me of course.

So to summarize, you're not really arguing about them "discriminating you for your age" but you're actually just complaining that they look at you funny?
Your typical generalization that all adults are evil isn't practical. The tired owners look at kids with grubby fingers to make sure any future shoplifting doesn't happen. Meaning, it has happened before.

Adults tend to rob the cashier and run off with the money, shoplifting is generally done by kids.

Librarians doesn't treat you like you're a criminal, but they do want you to follow the rules and be quiet. As the librarian is grumpy and tired. The reasonable conclusion is that she/he has suffered due to chaotic and energetic kids wreaking havoc in there. Thus, they'll be extra specific when the next group of kids get in there. Warning them that if don't stay quiet they will be kicked out.

You argue about seeing it from different perspectives. If you were in their shoes, wouldn't you do the same?
Also, these examples demonstrates situations when the kids are to blame. Technically speaking, the parents to these kids are at fault for their bad parenting, but that's kind of a stretch.

Level 27
It teaches you what really goes on, and gives you more insight into what the government is doing behind our backs.
What? So they can find some other way to go behind our backs? Think longer term.
An opinion is not a factual statement,
Unless that opinion is, in fact, a factual statement. Suppose I were to say, "I think the world is flat."
You could retort: "No, you do not think that the world is flat."
Obviously people are more liable to believe I than you on the matter of what my beliefs are.
Suppose I were instead to boldly assert, "The world is, in fact, flat."
You could retort: "No, the world is not flat."
And you would, in fact, be correct.
Your reply was rude.
Is it rude omit the obvious? That when asserting I am voicing my opinion and not objective fact?
I should not have to. That's ridiculous.
Is it? Suppose I've grown weary of debate and having my opinions brushed off. Suppose I don't actually care about communicating reason anymore because nobody appear to listen. Because it looks like it benefits nobody, not even myself, because I've reached a point at which it is no longer possible for my opponent to say something I hadn't thought of.

Would it be unreasonable for me to put out mere assertions and let those open minded and wanting to know pick out the ones they want me to take the time to explain to them?

Yes, it is tedious on your part to have to pick the ones you want to talk about, instead of just getting the explanation up front. But, why should I bother explaining if nobody was going to pay attention in the first place?
Not a very good place for sarcasm if you want me to take you seriously.
Not sarcasm; logic. There is no need for me to back up anything that I say. I can simply assert and leave the thread. Yes, it is entirely destructive to debate, but debate itself wasn't a necessity to begin with. Again I cite that debate is not effortless.
I found it difficult to maneuver through your post,
Posts like mine are hell for the way the quoting mechanism on this forum works.
I don't know though, so I can safely say that it's faulty.
Depends on what you mean by "safe."

Yes, I understood what you meant by your saying. You are saying I did not expend enough effort. I am offering you the same challenge; if you wish to understand me, then you should spend your own effort trying to see where I'm coming from. I do not alleviate myself of blame with this, but can you say you yourself are entirely innocent in your assumption that I believe inconsistently?
A forum I visited rather frequently found it coolio to ban me.
That's really annoying. I hate it when that happens. (OT here though; can discuss on chat.)
*More properly.
Just because it's not proper all the time doesn't mean it's any less proper.
I mainly made this thread because I don't understand why these guys don't speak up.
As somebody said earlier in the thread: You get what you fight for. And I don't see them fighting very earnestly.
Just because it's not proper all the time doesn't mean it's any less proper.
False.

OH F--

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Adults are purly a legal definition. In the UK you are an adult by default at the age of 18. You can however be classed as an adult as young as 16 if there are parental issues (you have none / they are holding you back). Being an adult means you have the right to marry, vote, complete control over your finances and to have to submit seperate paper work when applying for visas/passports/citizenships.

Being an adult does not automaticly allow you to do everything adults seem to do. Geting a high paid job takes a great deal of extra education than can run on easilly until you are 30. The consumption of alcohol is 18, meaning that you can still be an adult and not allowed to drink if you gained independance early. Being an adult does not automaticly mean you can drive, you need a separate driving education and to be 17/18 to do so. Being an adult means that you are responsible for all your paper work and have to fill in a tax return every year if you earn.

The major difference is it acts as a general divide in mental capabilities. People who are adults "should" be able to think for themselves. This obviously is highly subjective as many adults certainly are not more mentally capable than some non adults who are close to adulthood but has good origans. Imagine if babies/todlers/young kids could vote, they would vote for whichever person wears their favorite colour or does a funny dance rather than for the politics behind the candidates (even though that is often as imformative).

I do agree that teenagers are exploited. They have a lower minimum pay than adults even if the teenager in question is more than qualified for a position. This is purly capatilist exploitation to get the same work done cheaper. It only is allowed because of the legal definition of adults being that they can vote so obviously an adult has more legal say than a non adult teenager so they have to be paid more. Unfair mechanics of society at work here which I would personally like changed so that the same job has the same pay for any age aslong as they perform the same work.

Also be aware that you are an adult and a teenager for atleast 2 years (18 and 19). Which sort of contradicts your argument slightly... Legally you are looking at the treatment of dependants by adults as everyone is a dependant until they are an adult. Alternativly you can look at the target group as adolescents, young teens and middle teens.

The problem is that adolescents often bring the whole mistrust upon themselves. When they throw food at random people, behave like animals and destroy property it is obvious that adults who do not do this kind of thing will treat them badly. I certainly would not treat an adolectent who laughes at me walking quickly to an appointment seriously as that is just not a civilized thing to do. I would however treat an adolescent who appears lost and is asking polietly for help seriously.

Do remember that bad adolescents often become bad adults. As such they might just treat you badly as an adolescent because they are ********. Also remember that teachers from highschool are there to do a job, so they frankly just might not care about any of their pupils, especially if they do not like the job.

Just because you become an adult does not mean you are treated well. I am 19 but can not buy any alcohol from shops because I am under 21 (or was it 24?!) despite legally being allowed to drink it. Infact they are so unfair they demand do see proof of age to buy drinks despite me being legally allowed to drink them. Only your passport, drivers liscence (if you have one) and special club cards can be used as a proof of age which is even more unfair. Further more if I was to get a drivers liscence and actually drive I would need to pay 2000-4000£ insurance a year for even a cheap car (about 20 times the value of the car). How is that for fair treatment and I am an adult.

Frankly, as an adolescent my experience of adults was more positive than my experience of other adolescents. The teachers mostly were kind and understanding and ironicly I got on better with them than the stupid adolescent teenagers around me.

HAKEEM said:
Which part?

Actually, I was just kidding. I agree with you on every single one of those. (Yes, I took the time to read them)

Dr Super Good said:
I would need to pay 2000-4000£ insurance a year for even a cheap car (about 20 times the value of the car)

Oh, now you're just exaggerating.
Unless you're talking about used cars ;o

Nah, that isn't discrimination. I say they just do what they think is right for teenagers. As others say here, adults were once teenagers so they know much of how teenagers act. Teenagers can do whatever they want. You are? Do it but regrets never comes ahead, he is always late. When you say its right think a hundred times if that is really right; actually everyone knows which is right or wrong. Sometimes you say you're right but, is it really right?

Teenagers are not discriminated.

Level 24
People call everything discrimination these days, sigh.

Discrimination doesn't include you being too retarded to understand what's best for you.

Grow the fuck up and realize that when your father told you that it's not okay to drink at the age of 13 or smoke a joint instead of going to school he was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.