• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making an effect larger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I have downloaded an effect that I like, but I need to make it bigger. I know very little about modelling, but I can open it up in War3ModelEditor and look around. The node manager has two BlizParticles. Each "rendering" lists a different texture.

Is there a way to make the whole model bigger? Ideally I just need to stretch it along the x and y axis (i.e. it doesn't need to be taller, just wider and longer). I played around with some numbers but nothing I changed seemed to make it larger or smaller. Do I have to change the size of the textures?

Level 14
I'm not sure I did it right (I've never made a bone before). But I created one, put the others attached to it, but I couldn't scale it. Again, I'm not sure I did it right, sorry.

Would making the .blp files larger work?

Level 18
No, scaling bone only works on meshes (the solid parts of a model or what you can see in the "Windows > Model Editor" in Magos).

To enlarge a particle emitter, you need to make it emit larger particles, which is done from Windows > Node Manager > your emitter > right click > Edit. In the middle of the pop-up window you see three boxes titled "Segment 1", "Segment 2" and "Segment 3". Each contains a field named "Scaling" the value of which you need to multiply by 2.

That, however, will make the effect look like it's been sped up. This is because the particles exist for the same amount of time as before, but expand to a twice bigger size. To correct this, go in the box "Misc > Life Span" and double it too.

Level 14
No, scaling bone only works on meshes (the solid parts of a model or what you can see in the "Windows > Model Editor" in Magos).

To enlarge a particle emitter, you need to make it emit larger particles, which is done from Windows > Node Manager > your emitter > right click > Edit. In the middle of the pop-up window you see three boxes titled "Segment 1", "Segment 2" and "Segment 3". Each contains a field named "Scaling" the value of which you need to multiply by 2.

That, however, will make the effect look like it's been sped up. This is because the particles exist for the same amount of time as before, but expand to a twice bigger size. To correct this, go in the box "Misc > Life Span" and double it too.

Worked beautifully! Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.