• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modern Warfare

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Modern Warfare]

If you are interested in reading the background story of Modern Warfare, please go here. There will also be exta little stories written through the eyes of soldiers in the war inside of Russia as well.

Overview
Modern Warfare is a cooperative modern war map for WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne featuring two teams, the United States of America and Russia, battling each other. The players are in command of their team’s entire army via shared units.
Resources (credits) are gained by a periodic income and by destroying/killing enemy forces. The credits are needed to buy new units and weapons for your team.
The battlefield is a highly destructible urban landscape with almost every doodad being a destructible you are able to level with the ground. There are also areas well vegetated with trees, bushes, grass, rocks, and water as well. Forests mainly surround the city and can prove to be a very handy ambush rally point.
The goal in this map is to defeat the opposite team. This is accomplished by destroying all enemy structures.

This mod will feature many cool aspects that will make the game interesting, exciting, challenging, and entertaining. The features we plan to include are listed below:

Features:
  • BattleNet and LAN compatible.
  • Supports up to 10 players (5 vs 5)
  • Unique cooperative gameplay.
  • Dynamic Weather/Fog Effects.
  • Tactical & Special Weapons
  • Highly destructible environment.
  • Complete camera customization in-game.
  • A lot of custom imports, including: Models, Sounds, Music, Complete UI, Terrain Art.
  • Tank turret rotation system.
  • Unit naming system.

The Development Team
The Development Team: (Names in Red are former members & names in Orange are contributers)

Leaders:
Illidan(evil)x (Lead Game Designer/Project Leader)

Terrainers:
Illidan(evil)x (Lead Terrainer)

Modelers:
Illidan(Evil)x

Texture Artists:
Illidan(evil)x

JASS Programmers:
Illidan(evil)x

Music/Sound Composers:
Bill Brown

Web Support:
Carbonex
Craka_J

Graphics:
Illidan(evil)x
F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions):

Q: Is Modern Warfare a Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne map/mod?
A: Yes it is.

Q: Does Modern Warfare require Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne to be installed? Or can it work with just having Warcraft III: The Reign of Chaos installed?
A: Modern Warfare requires Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne to be fully installed.

Q: Who is currently leader of this project? Who is/are the developers of Modern Warfare?
A: I (Illidan(evil)x) am the founder and leader of Modern Warfare. I am also the only developer working on Modern Warfare.

Q: Do you plan on recruiting other good developers for Modern Warfare?
A: I currently have no plans of finding other developers for Modern Warfare. My plan is to finish the project alone, like I had planned in the past when I started Modern Warfare.

Q: What is the release date for Modern Warfare?
A: It is too early to say still. But progress is moving pretty fast, so hopefully I'll have at least a prediction of when it will be released. Though, I doubt I'll have an official set release date for the public version of Modern Warfare.

Q: Will there be Alpha and Closed BETAs? How do I get in?
A: Yes, absolutely. In order to get into the Closed BETA of Modern Warfare, you must post a valid application in our forums here. I will then decide if you are needed or not. People with low-quality computers can also get into the beta as well as Macintosh computer users. So don't be afraid to give the BETA application a try!

Q: Will the public version of Modern Warfare be totally bugless?
A: As much as I would like that, I have high expectations that there will be a few, if not, more bugs and glitches that get by the BETA. I will attempt to fix as many bugs as possible, so hopefully Modern Warfare's BETA testers do a good job reporting bugs successfully.

Q: How many players will allowed (Maximum) into a hosted Modern Warfare game?
A: Ten (10) players will be able to join the game. The other two slots are filled by computers which do a lot of A.I. work. The map allows a total of five (5) versus five (5), plus the two computers, one on each team.

Q: Will you add smart A.I. for computers to play against offline?
A: Yes. Players can play single-player matches against bots and with them in Modern Warfare.

Q: If a player leaves the game, will an A.I. computer take over?
A: Yes. So if players end up leaving during a match or in the beginning, there's less to get fussy about. However, the A.I. is still a work-in-progress, but it works!

Q: Can Modern Warfare be played on LAN connections?
A: Yes.

Q: Can Modern Warfare be played on BattleNet (BNet)?
A: Yes, of course. That is what this mod was intended for in the first place![/B]

Q: Can you host Modern Warfare with real players and A.I. controlled slots that actually work?
A: Yes.

Q: Are there different difficulties for the A.I. controlled slots in Modern Warfare?
A: Not yet.

Q: What are the two factions that face each other in Modern Warfare?
A: The United States of America and Russia.

Q: What is the story behind Modern Warfare and the war between the USA and Russia?
A: The story is too long to be said in a conversation. You can read it here.

Q: Are any of the units in Modern Warfare more powerful than the one(s) on the other faction?
A: In order to balance the game properly, they're all pretty much copies of the other faction units. Only noticable differences are the models used and their names.

Q: What will it require to use a 'Tactical & Special Weapons' against your enemy?
A: 'Credits' and 'Special' points.

Q: How are 'Credits' and 'Special' points obtained?
A: Credits are gained by a periodic income, while Special points are earned by killing and destroying enemy units and structures.

Q: Are Nuclear Missle launches given a limited range? Or can they target anywhere on the map, including the enemy's base?
A: Any special/tactical weapon can be launched anywhere at the map. But you cannot target the enemy base if the enemy Radar Defense Tower is intact; You have to destroy the Radar Defense Tower in order to target the enemy base.

Q: Will Modern Warfare include an Anti-Map Hack protection system from hackers, like in DotA?
A: I might add an Anti-Map Hack system in the future, but there currently is none added.

Q: Will there be any NAVY units in Modern Warfare such as a Transport Ship or Aircraft Carrier, etc.?
A: No. Modern Warfare will only feature ground and air combat.

Q: Will biological warfare elements be present in Modern Warfare?
A: Not yet decided. This idea is still pending.

Q: Will Special Operations type units such as Snipers be able to take advantage of the environment and hide in open structures such as a destroyed Church tower?
A: I'm still experimenting with this kind of functions for infantry units. Hopefully, I will be able to make it work.

Q: What is currently the file size of Modern Warfare and what do you plan will be the file size when the project is completed?
A: The current file size is 2.65 MB. I expect it to be above 3.5 MB when completed.

Q: What is the size of the playable area of the map?
A: n/a

Terrain Showcase:
Some WIP screenshots of the terrain featured in Modern Warfare. The models/textures and terrain formations are not final.

A_CameraCustomization.jpg

A_DestructableEnvironment.jpg

A_TacticalWeapons.jpg

CustomChat3.jpg

InGame11.jpg

InGame7.jpg

screen10.jpg

screen11.jpg

screen13.jpg

screen3.jpg

screen15.jpg

screen4.jpg

screen8.jpg

screen9.jpg

ModernWarfareHeader_x.jpg

ModernWarfareSignature.jpg

modern.jpg

Website & Contact
The current official website for Modern Warfare is: http://modernwarfare.co.cc/forum/index.php
You might be able to find more detailed information at the website, fan-site, and forum than in this single post.

If you wish to contact any of the current team members then you should PM us at the Official Modern Warfare Forum.

-

Ooh, nice to see my models being used for once. I've been updating some of them, including the large explosion, so if you want the new versions (better smoke and fire), just ask. Also, some of the new models are less laggy, so you could use more of them at a time (like the turret's attack (dust Explosion), for example).

I can't wait to play this though. The gunship part looks amazingly fun, just like the missile control thing (that's what the first screenshot is, right?). Good luck.

EDIT: Just saw the videos... Goddamn, this is amazing! You have got to finish this!

EDIT2: On your website, I don't know who wrote the About Map section, but not only is he wrong about the map, the text isn't informative at all and is badly written...

Last edited:
Ooh, nice to see my models being used for once. I've been updating some of them, including the large explosion, so if you want the new versions (better smoke and fire), just ask. Also, some of the new models are less laggy, so you could use more of them at a time (like the turret's attack (dust Explosion), for example).

I can't wait to play this though. The gunship part looks amazingly fun, just like the missile control thing (that's what the first screenshot is, right?). Good luck.
Your explosion effects is the most awesome around, of course those made it into Modern Warfare. Your new ones is less laggy and looks better? Awesome. Could you please send them over?
The "missile control thing" you're talking about is actually the camera customization feature. Take a look at the new video at the fan-site or the ModDB account to see how it works.

EDIT2: On your website, I don't know who wrote the About Map section, but not only is he wrong about the map, the text isn't informative at all and is badly written...
carbonex is to blame, I'll notice him right away.

Is that what the first screenshot is? Lol I just htought it was some crazy screen. Lol this must be some crazy hard JASS coding, I cant even imagine how I would do this in GUI :p
You simply can't do this in pure GUI and still have it working smooth and MUI.

Glad to see you guys likes Modern Warfare so far. :smile:

Level 8
Hmm...
I've followed this on Gamerisle, until, well,
It was decimated. <w< Anyways, the project itself is very epic looking,
Some suggestions, A Unit Experience system? Much like if a certain unit sees more combat than others, they receive special medals/bonus.
There more likely to be prepared for combat and ready to go. =]
Can't wait for This. Great Project, Continue working on it!
-Calvin

Level 12
I've been waiting for this map for.......

Can you just please upload it here or somewhere I can download from? Because that site is useless to me. "Cannot be found".

If you don't want to upload it here for some reason, you could pastebin it to me? Or if you don't want to, could anyone else pastebin it to me?

Level 25
Illidan(evil)X has made a video that displays the background storyline of Modern Warfare with music and brief images to help you stay interested in the story and visualize it better. The video is only five minutes long, so please take that time to watch the video. Thank you!

Video Link

~Craka_J

Level 25
The pre-alpha BETA really isn't much. But there's a couple things in it that might interest you a little and help the pain of waiting such as the Squad System that is implemented.

If this alpha impresses you, then the new one will blow you away!

~Craka_J

Level 3
Uhhhh..... some technical difficulties have occur during, .....the process of transfer...
It rather we cry and beg for help, which will take days..................or we reformat the whole forum. I'll have to consult with illidan with this major issue

Status
Not open for further replies.