• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Round Table of Arkain

Level 29
Normally when you have an Ogre with 9k hp, 400 damage, fast attack speed, over 20 armor, immunity to magic and he doesn't take even 1 damage from a purificator cannon blast as your ally, there is absolutely no way you can end up in the same situation as the first book. :p

That ogre was no mere ogre. It was the Ogre God given a physical form so that mortals of Arkain could bask beneath his might!

Oh, so you think you are invicible because you have the powerful elven magic, the unholy magic of the undead taught by Aridon himself, Hamos and his entire order of mages and Brian's shadow magic? Well, you thought wrong, because none of those things can do a damn thing to this physical deity!

The cannon is basically Arkain's version of a nuke and it doesn't do a damn thing!

Killing him should be the MAIN mission, because even demon lords are child play compared to him!

Level 6
That ogre was no mere ogre. It was the Ogre God given a physical form so that mortals of Arkain could bask beneath his might!

Oh, so you think you are invicible because you have the powerful elven magic, the unholy magic of the undead taught by Aridon himself, Hamos and his entire order of mages and Brian's shadow magic? Well, you thought wrong, because none of those things can do a damn thing to this physical deity!

The cannon is basically Arkain's version of a nuke and it doesn't do a damn thing!

Killing him should be the MAIN mission, because even demon lords are child play compared to him!

hmm could dreadlord or demon lord can kill an Orge God?

Level 29
hmm could dreadlord or demon lord can kill an Orge God?

With brute strength alone, because magic is useless.

Maybe Shar has made that ogre too OP. That guy should have become the Dominion's supreme ruler because Rangul, as a spellcaster, is nothing compared to him.

Level 29
Can Largot give nithmare inside orcs head?

If demons could do that, then orcs would have become their pawns for centuries.

Demons could have sent nightmares on orcs and make them go on a rampage against the humans, to weaken the imperial forces before the demons arrived.

LickMyEyeBall

L

LickMyEyeBall

Okay, my knowlegde of legal issues is quite limited, but let me get this straight. There is a Shar Dundred who wants to make something related to Arkain, but because Arkain was created in the WC World Editor, Blizzard could lay claim to the campaign? I mean, this isnt the first time I see something like this. Has anyone heard of Dota 2? Im pretty sure everyone has. So the problem there was that original map, Dota Allstars was created in WE too, but Valve somehow managed to take the credit for Dota2 trademark for themselves, and get the copyrights. I mean to some degree they have the rights to your Arkain universe, but I think there is a good chance you good preserve the copyrights for everything else for yourself. Well, with the exception of the campaign itself. Once again, Im not much of lawyer, but I do think the situation might have a positive outcome for you.

Level 16
Well, the pity way is to build new things on old things...
You could make something else with a lot of similitudes (plot, situation...) but major differences (names, places...).
But it's not what you want, I guess.

Level 21
The TOS is meant to target monetization of IP created in their editor.

Semi-speculation on my part, but if you were to make any sort of different Arkain media:

1) The maps are Blizzard's, but even that has no direct effect on you unless you ask people to pay for them. You created the Arkain universe outside of the editor and made Warcraft 3 maps based on it. They now technically own those (any everyone's) maps, but not the Arkain universe and what you choose to do with it outside of Warcraft 3. You have short stories already here on Hive.

2) Even if the TOS remains a looming threat, Arkain is not Dota 2 or Nostalrius (respectfully). If it ever heads in that direction of independent popularity, then you may have legal issues, sure, but I doubt anyone from Blizzard will be following up on this or even aware of the existence of something else you make on your own.

To the Bitter End is an example of both (1) and (2) and I'm about 99.9% certain that Soul Reaver has not been hounded about anything.

I'm not trivializing your concern over the apparent issue, but I do have realistic hope that you likely can do whatever you want with Arkain in another medium without any sort of action taken by Blizzard relating to WC3 TOS, even if someone has spoken to you from there saying "it's against the TOS". That is the only answer they're allowed to give you, but I don't think their top legal minds are thinking about custom single player content.

I crossed the street today without waiting for the walk signal, which is illegal jaywalking. If I asked a police officer if it was jaywalking, they would say yes; they have to, it's the law. Yet, I didn't get a ticket because who actually cares so long as I'm not impacting traffic?

In any case, best wishes to you and whatever you decide to do moving forward both inside and out of Arkain!

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
blizzard legal.jpg

Then they should mention that their Custom Game Acceptable Use Policy does not only apply to StarCraft II?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Interesting point, but mind that in the EULA is a link to this, stating that it applies to "the following Blizzard games (including their expansion packs): Blackthorne™, The Lost Vikings® I & II, Warcraft®: Orcs & Humans™, Warcraft® II: Tides of Darkness™, Warcraft® III: Reign of Chaos®, World of Warcraft®, Diablo®, Diablo® II, Diablo® III, StarCraft® and StarCraft®: Brood War®"."
Yet, I do not disagree with you there.

I am, by now, considering those things not appliable in this case; still it is a scummy move by Blizzard, whether it is enforceable or not.
I have also yet to be contacted by Blizzard again. If the silence continues, I will disregard the statement that I've got and do whatever I want with Arkain.

Level 3
I am, by now, considering those things not appliable in this case; still it is a scummy move by Blizzard, whether it is enforceable or not.
I have also yet to be contacted by Blizzard again. If the silence continues, I will disregard the statement that I've got and do whatever I want with Arkain.

Although you do not believe it, this from the dirty blizzard movement to this.

since you do this for and for people, talk about it with my friends, they said blizzard has the right to claim the reason is use their "platform" (in my opinion, use your work as you want, anyway it is new content to something and OLD making the game more fun) even though it seems to me that they and you can reach an intermediate point where no side is castrated, and so you can continue with the books (clear without the adaptation of warcraft III TFT)

I defended with my friends the point that blizzard is being very strict, and not only with you, but with all the perzonalized campaigns.

Last edited:
Level 11
Wow even the leadership affect the story? Nice! Thanks for the help

Yeah, I noticed that with the Whispers of the Dark.
Gameplay wise, I think the Frenzy ability for the Golden Guard is pretty cool, and the shadow orb is alright, though I don't know if using that bonus more then the 3rd chapter does anything, like upgrading the orb or giving her a 2nd one. Storywise, she starts learning much dark powers, including absorbing the lifeforce and power of the sister of Lord Rekta (I forgot her name, sorry :\), and when you get to the end (King Gardon won the war in this ending), it's revealed that Cora would later join Aldon and the undead, implying that the dark whispers are from him.

Level 10
I honestly don't see the link of Aedeale to the story (if you choose Gardon instead of Van durce). Sure, he gets betrayed by Saphirewind, but eventually wins and establishes Zaiynor kingdom by using the 4 kingdoms he claimed, but what about the emperor? Is he going to attack him later on to be king of everything? and is he going to encounter Aedaele (Lisara) later at some point? I hope their story is not finished. His ending was sweet, even if you let Lisara consume Aedeale(I keep spelling it mistakenly lol).
Van Durce's ending was shocking, but at least Adeale's story linked to the story, when she killed them all with her Reign Of Chaos. And we also learned that the emperor is Largoth!!! what the hell.
Why is the Undead always controlling how the events proceed??! Does the writer favor their faction or what? They always seem to be superior in wits no matter the opponent. They controlled everything, in their first book, Orc's first book, both Human books.
So many questions...

Level 29
I honestly don't see the link of Aedeale to the story (if you choose Gardon instead of Van durce).

Not everything has to be connected. Throwing a rock in some place will not cause a tsunami in another area.

Sure, he gets betrayed by Saphirewind, but eventually wins and establishes Zaiynor kingdom by using the 4 kingdoms he claimed, but what about the emperor? Is he going to attack him later on to be king of everything? and is he going to encounter Aedaele (Lisara) later at some point? I hope their story is not finished. His ending was sweet, even if you let Lisara consume Aedeale(I keep spelling it mistakenly lol).

These questions might never get answered.

Gardon's story might not be that sweet. Because most likely a new war already lurks in the horizon. I don't think his new kingdom will manage to outlive him for a long time.

Why is the Undead always controlling how the events proceed??! Does the writer favor their faction or what? They always seem to be superior in wits no matter the opponent. They controlled everything, in their first book, Orc's first book, both Human books.
So many questions...[/hidden]

The undeads are more intelligent than both imperials and orcs, that is it.
Orcs' and humans' strategies revolve around crushing their foes. Undeads use more subtle methods, are very good in manipulating and acting behind the scenes...

Level 22
No idea if there is still people watching this or a are interested, but I'd like to let you know that I am doing some writing again and plan to add some lore stuff like Character Sheets etc.
Might also publish some short stories if I like the stuff I am typing .
Cool. Consider adding some stuff to the orc character sheet, since by reading it, you can sort of piece together a storyline. It just needs extra details, like the chronology of all the events.

Level 10
No idea if there is still people watching this or a are interested, but I'd like to let you know that I am doing some writing again and plan to add some lore stuff like Character Sheets etc.
Great! Reading the story would be as fun as playing it, but since you're done modding and whatnot, at least finish the story in your own time as I'm sure it would be amazing.

Level 29

Good to hear.

Looking forward to it!:thumbs_up:

Level 6
NC-ND Doesn't allow any changes so swapping a texture would already break the use of the editor. So blizzard is less harsh than that. Which is not the case or it wouldn't have been installed along with the game. In very tough legal situations it's possible to abuse a non-profit location in a foreign country with basically only having a mailbox in that country. And I must admit with the way trump is running the US to the ground against small business owners. In favor of corporate. Not falling under US jurisdiction can be a great way to enhance your own legal position.

One of the important things to note about the Dota1/dota2 licensing with blizzard vs valve as well was that dota 1 maps used many things from hive and other websites which no longer can be traced to their original creators. This also applies to the creation of spells. Some spells were based of fan of knives since it was instant but did many different things. Character design doesn't only mean their backstories and visuals but also how that is conveyed through play. But since this is for a lot of lawyers also new terrain. And not much of the lawsuits about it between Valve, Riot and Blizzard is open to the public since none of them would benefit from setting a precedent in any direction without knowing the end result. Since a lot of arbitration is done with previous case studies.

You could come to the conclusion your craft falls under either CC BY-NC or CC BY-NC-SA. By process of elimination. By not allowing your work to be altered you basically put a more restricting license on it. But if blizzard falls under CC BY-NC-SA or less restrictive they could if they really wanted force you to allow them to alter your campaigns. And then license it to someone else to do it. But without blizzard getting involved here it's near impossible.

Another thing to note if you die, 75 years after your passing any book you write becomes available to the public to publish. Medical patents can last up to a maximum of 26 years (20 years + 5 years +1 year of technical delays ) Medical patents serve the common good. While books and other media serve leisure. So there's less pressure to release them earlier since lives don't depend on their access to it. However another reason why it might be beneficial for Blizzard to launch a remaster for Warcraft III might be that it basically renews their license on it.

CC BY-NC
This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial, they don’t have to license their derivative works on the same terms.

CC BY-NC-SA
This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms.

CC BY-NC-ND

This license is the most restrictive of our six main licenses, only allowing others to download your works and share them with others as long as they credit you, but they can’t change them in any way or use them commercially.

About The Licenses - Creative Commons

I'm no legal aid or anything but it might give your a bit of a better vieuw on the matter.

Level 7
Okay, my knowlegde of legal issues is quite limited, but let me get this straight. There is a Shar Dundred who wants to make something related to Arkain, but because Arkain was created in the WC World Editor, Blizzard could lay claim to the campaign? I mean, this isnt the first time I see something like this. Has anyone heard of Dota 2? Im pretty sure everyone has. So the problem there was that original map, Dota Allstars was created in WE too, but Valve somehow managed to take the credit for Dota2 trademark for themselves, and get the copyrights. I mean to some degree they have the rights to your Arkain universe, but I think there is a good chance you good preserve the copyrights for everything else for yourself. Well, with the exception of the campaign itself. Once again, Im not much of lawyer, but I do think the situation might have a positive outcome for you.
Okay, this matter is serious, it seems, but I do not think Blizzard will do this piece of nastiness. Blizzard has all rights to take the credit, because it is THEIR game and THEIR WORLD EDITOR, but the hard work and idea of the story is OURS. They cannot possibly take the whole credit of that!
If Blizzard takes the credit of the platform on which it was created, and then gives credits to @Shar Dundred too for his story, I think it'll be okay.
If Blizzard can do this piece of nasty just because it is THEIR EDITOR, then this is just major shrewdness. Because a learned computer engineer can create that himself. Obviously, we know how @eejin has created the HiveWE on behalf of the Hive, and if Blizzard intends to do such a thing, where every modder's map will be in danger, then we will also cease modding on WE and make maps on Hive WE instead. We are also capable of doing that.
Last but not the least, best of luck Shar on your journey.
NOTE : I do not mean to hurt anyone through my message.

Level 5
Guys i have a problem When i updated my wc3 my folder of custom campgains was deleted i tried to make new putted campains in it and it didnt worked i tried repairing wc3 again and didnt worked so if anyone know how to fix that i would appreaciate that help :)