• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Role Playing Game] The Cataclysm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
The Cataclysm

223963-albums7409-picture87688.jpg

Note: The name "Cataclysm" is not based on WoW also because many might think so that it is and the story is outside of the Warcraft Lore as well.

[TD]
Introductions
[/TD]
The Cataclysm is a 3-player RPG map based on my last project, Last Stand (but this is not a remake of it) with a different approach and aims to be better than it. You are to control 1 out of 3 heroes based on your Player slot and explore the dark castle in search of Valcon's Will that is being held by the Death Knight. Fight through hordes of monsters and abominations, survive countless traps, fight bosses and defeat the Death Knight who is holding the Valcon's Will.
[TD]
Story
[/TD]
Valcon's Will is known to be a dark artifact that can summon an unknown demon said to be very powerful once it's fully summoned onto the earth's surface. Because of this, the Humans, who found this artifact kept it and made sure that it is heavily guarded. However, the time came when the Undead have also sought this Artifact. The Undead have also found out of its whereabouts; under the Humans' protection. They attacked the Humans to steal it and were successful in doing so.

The leader of the Undead known as the Death Knight - the strongest of them - stole the artifact and killed the humans who dared to oppose him. The Death Knight and its forces left, leaving the area in ruins. Because of the artifact being stolen, the King of the Humans sent three heroes to search for the Undead and their whereabouts. The Heroes are to start a war against the Undead if necessary just to retrieve the artifact. Who knows what will happen if the Death Knight succeeds in summoning the demon onto the earth's surface?
[TD]
Author's Notes
[/TD]
The project might sound too ambitious again but I have set myself a goal to finish this project even if it would take long because of pause and breaks for School days.

As of 7/11/15

Sorry for the long hiatus again trying to grab some motivation, it's closed for the time being but as soon as I got a free time, chances of this continuing is highly possible. Just a heads up, guys!
[TD]
Gallery
[/TD]

223963-albums7409-picture85398.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85400.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85399.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85401.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85397.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85403.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85402.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85639.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85640.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85641.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85642.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture85643.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86010.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86011.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86012.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86013.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86079.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86080.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86204.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86205.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86231.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86232.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86233.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86234.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86973.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86974.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86975.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture86976.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture87296.jpg

223963-albums7409-picture87297.jpg
[TD]
Project Signature (Support!)
[/TD]

Resized Version

223963-albums7409-picture86054.jpg
Code:
[plain][url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/cataclysm-253760/][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/223963-albums7409-picture86054.jpg[/IMG][/url][/plain]
Original Version

223963-albums7409-picture85798.jpg
Code:
[plain][url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/cataclysm-253760/][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/223963-albums7409-picture85798.jpg[/IMG][/url][/plain]

Last edited:
The Stone of Havoc is known to be a dark artifact that can summon an unknown demon that is said to be powerful once it's fully summoned onto the earth's surface. Because of this, the Humans who have found this artifact kept it and made sure that this artifact is heavily guarded, but the time came when the Undead have also searched for this Artifact. The Undead have also found out of it's whereabouts which is under the Humans' protection. The Undead attacked the Humans to steal this artifact and were successful in doing so.

The leader of the Undead known to be as the Death Knight and the strongest of the Undead stole the artifact and killed many humans who dared to oppose him. The Death Knight and it's forces left, leaving the area in ruins. Because of the Stone being stolen, the King of the Humans sent three heroes to search for the Undead and their whereabouts. The Heroes are to start a war against the Undead if necessary just to retrieve the Stone. Who knows what will happen if the Death Knight would be able to summon the demon onto the earth's surface?

So this is your new project. :)
As it is a 3-player rpg now, will you take usage of a save/load system? (your last one only used normal wc3 save, or?)

About terrain:
Will you only work with these dungeon envirionment style, or will there also be a "free world".
I think it's always enjoyable to run through nature and exploring the world. :csmile:

Story seems legit and good... wish you to finish it in a gratifying way. :thumbs_up:

Level 30
It's just a small type of an RPG so I'm not sure of it having a Save/Load System. As for the terrain and having a free or natural world, I am thinking of it having some sort of a natural world but only a short part of the terrain seeing that the map and the story as well revolves in the Castle.

I also wish that I can finish this and not just finish it but make it as good as possible. Thank you for the comment, it really means a lot to me!

+rep

For outdoors you could make some gardens (wild gardens if you're aiming for a grimmer look with some shacks if you want some people around/ monsters; either way should do the trick) around the castle and have them littered with small quests and rare items. The bag system sounds good btw (that way the players won't be restricted to that damn default inventory).

Level 30
For outdoors you could make some gardens (wild gardens if you're aiming for a grimmer look with some shacks if you want some people around/ monsters; either way should do the trick) around the castle and have them littered with small quests and rare items. The bag system sounds good btw (that way the players won't be restricted to that damn default inventory).

You just took the words out of my mouth again. That is what I'm planning to be honest, a corrupted garden of some sort.

Dude, change the text color a bit, it's almost impossible to read ~_~

That colored text is hurting my eyes, oh my eyes..
squidward.jpg

any info about the features?

Changed to SeaGreen from DarkSlateGreen. How about that?

Thanks for the inputs anyway guys!

Level 14
So this would be like straight-forward dungeon crawler RPG of sort? However the terrain still could be improved, it'll be better to not use multiple brick tile on a pathway as it doesn't looked realistic.
attachment.php

Putting some scattered stones (with the use of that dalaran brick tiles as the texture) around would made a better effect too. Also purple fog would fit in with those dalaran ruins tilesets rather than green one imo.

Level 22
Oh, this projects sounds really interesting, the story is really good and attractive, the terrain so far is good, but still can be improved, place a fog/mist, it's loos like more dark, and btw the terrain greatly remember Dungeons of Dalaran lol

I will be following this project xD
Good luck!

@andreariona, the picture is broken, at least for me.

Level 30
Ooh, this is awesome. For the name being a placeholder, how about 'The Apocalypse'?

It looks good but the name that I would change it is something involved with the Stone of Havoc and to be honest, the stone's name is also bound to change to something shorter and so I was thinking and brainstorming for the demon's name inside the stone. I will base the stone's name with the demon and so follows the map's name.

EDIT: I think that "The Cataclysm" as a game name seems good so I think I will stay with this name (I know it's quite sudden but I find it quite good when I think of it) but the name of the Stone is bound to change though.

So this would be like straight-forward dungeon crawler RPG of sort? However the terrain still could be improved, it'll be better to not use multiple brick tile on a pathway as it doesn't looked realistic.
attachment.php

Putting some scattered stones (with the use of that dalaran brick tiles as the texture) around would made a better effect too. Also purple fog would fit in with those dalaran ruins tilesets rather than green one imo.

Yes, t would be a straight-forward dungeon crawler RPG. I would definitely take that scattered stone and the fog but any ideas because I can't see the image?

Oh, this projects sounds really interesting, the story is really good and attractive, the terrain so far is good, but still can be improved, place a fog/mist, it's loos like more dark, and btw the terrain greatly remember Dungeons of Dalaran lol

I will be following this project xD
Good luck!

@andreariona, the picture is broken, at least for me.

Thanks for the compliments.

Level 28
Looks.. okay? Dunno, it sounds too generic at the moment. Maybe a list of any special features? It lacks replay value and flexible gameplay with the map only set to have 3 heroes.

Can't comment much with that vague description other than the terrain being uhhm.. warcraft-ish(its up to you if you take that as a good or a bad thing)?

Sounds like your everyday Dungeon Crawler so far.

Level 30
Yes, as for now, I'm yet thinking and processing what features it would have (I don't want to sound ambitious with the features, only the things that I can achieve).

It sounds quite generic and your everyday dungeon crawler but I will try giving it some touches (first, finishing the terrain then other things will follow. I like it to be done in a neat way). And I'll take the warcraft-ish terrain as a compliment if you wouldn't mind, lol.

Anyway, thanks for your comment about the project.

Level 30
You mean those Black Citadel Statues? If that is, I actually planned it to be somehow related to traps and etc and they would serve some purposes.

Updates coming later. I'm still finishing the second Prison room which is quite big.

Level 30
Traps? Maybe some spikes coming from the walls and/or floor would be an idea. Of course they would need to be activated when one steps on a switch or gets too close to a statue.

They are quite generic but as for my idea regarding the Black Citadel statue, one of those many statues shoots a firebolt projectile which stuns/burns (will decide which of those two and this is not also final!) but do not fear, they are charging and it would be easy to notice.

But as I've said this is not final (I'm still thinking if this is doable). But you know even the simplest of ideas can be good so I'll take note of that!

Level 30
That seems to be a good idea but maybe revising those, how about the statues either shoots a green firebolt or red projectile? The Red damages and stuns while the green damages and continues to damage for an amount of time (dps).

Level 30
The Cataclysm - Progress Update #1

Okay, deleted my last post to make way for the very first update (must avoid double posting) and also to bump the thread in a way.

Here are three early WiP terrain screenshots. It might feel pretty empty at the moment but there would be many things to make out of it yet such as andrea's suggestions which is about the scattered stone (but a question, sorry if I am looking dumb here but is this scattered stone a tile or doodad? I need some clearer information about it, thanks) but I changed the fog to purple as suggested and I agree it pretty much fits.

Attachments

• Terrain Screenshot 8.jpg
    Terrain Screenshot 8.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Terrain Screenshot 9.jpg
    Terrain Screenshot 9.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Terrain Screenshot 10.jpg
    Terrain Screenshot 10.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 126
You can break those 'roads' with other tiles but adding doodads at their margin (that's what andrea suggested) to make the transition smother and further add a detailed touch to it.
Don't be afraid to add corpses and cauldrons with heads on those ways. It will distract the player a bit from the monotony.
Edit: Also you can add some smoke when you put those corpses or cauldrons/heads etc to give it a darker look. Also you could tint those skulls a lil' bit darken so they won't stick out that much.

Level 30
I feel like the road is too clean, lol. I will take note of that and at least, I got a clearer view of it. Thanks for the explanation but is it like what I did in the past about the scattered tiles inside a tile with doodads in it?

Thanks for all the suggestions, +rep.

I would like to point some minor mistakes or lack of emphasis:

Valcon's Will is known to be a dark artifact that can summon an unknown demon said to be very powerful once it's fully summoned onto the earth's surface. Because of this, the Humans, who found this artifact kept it and made sure that it is heavily guarded. However, the time came when the Undead have also sought this Artifact. The Undead have also found out of its whereabouts; under the Humans' protection. They attacked the Humans to steal it and were successful in doing so.

The leader of the Undead known as the Death Knight - the strongest of them - stole the artifact and killed the humans who dared to oppose him. The Death Knight and its forces left, leaving the area in ruins. Because of the artifact being stolen, the King of the Humans sent three heroes to search for the Undead and their whereabouts. The Heroes are to start a war against the Undead if necessary just to retrieve the artifact. Who knows what will happen if the Death Knight succeeds in summoning the demon onto the earth's surface?
-----------
In parentheses are words I removed, and underlined are the words I added/modified.

*optional

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 30
Hello~
Any news from the project?

I can't assure to update you guys everyday seeing that I have school. But don't worry, I'm working with this!

I would like to point some minor mistakes or lack of emphasis:

Valcon's Will is known to be a dark artifact that can summon an unknown demon (that is) said to be very powerful once it's fully summoned onto the earth's surface. Because of this, the Humans, who (have) found this artifact kept it and made sure that (this artifact) it is heavily guarded. However, the time came when the Undead have also (searched for) sought this Artifact. The Undead have also found out of its whereabouts; (which is) under the Humans' protection. They (Undead) attacked the Humans to steal (this artifact) it and were successful in doing so.

The leader of the Undead known (to be) as the Death Knight - (and) the strongest of them (Undead)- stole the artifact and killed (many) the humans who dared to oppose him. The Death Knight and its forces left, leaving the area in ruins. Because of the artifact being stolen, the King of the Humans sent three heroes to search for the Undead and their whereabouts. The Heroes are to start a war against the Undead if necessary just to retrieve the artifact. Who knows what will happen if the Death Knight (would be able to summon) succeeds in summoning* the demon onto the earth's surface?
-----------
In parentheses are words I removed, and underlined are the words I added/modified.

*optional

Ah, thank you very much! +rep.

Level 30
So, how with the terrain so far?
Any new systems included?

Terrain, well, I just resumed this project today and just right now due to being busy in school so there's nothing much. But I created a new small area which is a Hallway again, full of Black Citadel Statues which means, another area full of deadly traps and it also leads to the Library area of some sort (For those who played Last Stand, you guys should have noticed that it's almost the same place with here)

As for the systems, I'm not yet implementing some but I already have some systems that I will surely use such as Bribe's DDS, Unit Indexer and the another which I forgot it's name. But they are to be implemented when everything in the terrain is finished which means that there's still a long way ahead of us.

Level 30
The library would be full of bookshelfs and magical things and sources (such as runes and etc). I can't say yet for I don't have an exact image of how I'll do it.

But I assure you that if I'll start working on the Library terrain, I'll get some idea on how I'll visualize that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.