• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

1.24's effect on Maps and Spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
With 1.24 coming out sooner or later, there will need to be some changes to the maps and spells sections. Naturally, incompatible maps and spells will need removal, but the two sections will handle it differently:

In maps, it will be primarily a user based initiative—please report any maps you attempt to play that do not work with the new patch via the Maps Moderation Forum or the Report Post feature. We may additionally write a script which attempts to find such maps, but this is not guaranteed.

In spells, the entire section will be purged, both due to the high volume using 1.24-incompatible code and that there will be a simultaneous tightening of the spell rules. The purge will work (when it comes about) by the spell's uploader having two weeks to confirm their resource's acceptability under the new rules—at the end of this period, all resources not marked with this will be deleted. After this point, users are encouraged to report any resources which still do not conform to the rules but whose authors kept them anyways. A news announcement will be posted when the purge (that is, the two-week counter) begins.

The new spell rules will come into effect as of the release of 1.24, but please do not post spells incompatible with them even before that. The changes will be:

• 1.24-incompatible spells will not be acceptable.
  • Spells requiring WEU, UMSWE, or any other third party GUI modification will not be acceptable.
  • Spells must be fully multiinstanceable, and done so competently (IE no "indexing systems" which just populate a massive array and count upwards until they hit a maximum, then restarting from the first possible value regardless of whether the position is taken).
  • Spells not created by the submitter will be rejected regardless of permission.

Level 6
PurplePoot said:
Spells requiring WEU, UMSWE, or any other third party GUI modification will not be acceptable.
As I don't know if JNGP is GUI or not, having never used it. Will spells using this be accepted still?

Personally I don't get all this JNGP stuffs, especially as it apparently requires you to install somthing...

As I don't know if JNGP is GUI or not, having never used it. Will spells using this be accepted still?

Personally I don't get all this JNGP stuffs, especially as it apparently requires you to install somthing...

Jass New Gen Pack

I'll let you figure the rest out.

Last edited:
Level 7
When 1.24 officialy out, i will update my map.

(IE no "indexing systems" which just populate a massive array and count upwards until they hit a maximum, then restarting from the first possible value regardless of whether the position is taken).

SPELLS ON STRUCTS DOESN"T ACCEPTABLE?

Level 10
1.24-incompatible spells will not be acceptable.
How can I know the spell is compatible with 1.24 or not?
Spells must be fully multiinstanceable, and done so competently (IE no "indexing systems" which just populate a massive array and count upwards until they hit a maximum, then restarting from the first possible value regardless of whether the position is taken).
Something like this?
  • Actions
    • Set Integer = (Integer + 1)
    • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
      • If - Conditions
        • Integer Greater than <Some Number>
      • Then - Actions
        • Set Integer = 0
      • Else - Actions
    • Set Spell_Variable[Integer] = <Something>
other Indexing System is allowed, am I right?

And, can somebody give me link to download patch 1.24? Is JNGP compatible with that?

and done so competently (IE no "indexing systems" which just populate a massive array and count upwards until they hit a maximum, then restarting from the first possible value regardless of whether the position is taken).

Since the indexing techniques used in popular "refresh" quite fast, there are no regular GUI spells affected with any new kind of rule.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Basically, any third party form of GUI will not be axcepted. Any GUI using stupid index systems with O(n) efficency or unnescescary index slot usage will not be axcepted as you can use hashtables which are only slightly slower than array handle index lookups to store stuff. Thus with GUI, you can still use arrays to hold data, but they must be used efficenly (no variable[variable[12]]) crap that I see so many spells do nowdays.

You can attach values to units and other objects using hashtables now, so instead of looping from 1 to 100 for your spell in all indexes it uses, you could simply enum through a group holding all units casting the spell and get their array index via hashtables ofthe unit itself. If you do not care about speed, you do not even need variable arrays and could run the whole thing off hashtables.

vJASS will still be allowed, so will structs as they are not stupid index systems. Unlike most of you believe, what people do in GUI is generally not how structs work. Structs have static indexes until they are destroyed and recycle indexes like below.

create struct returns 1
create struct returns 2
destroy struct 1
create struct returns 1
create struct returns 3
etc...

A lot of GUI systems do not have this feature and so clog up large numbers of indexes and even can leak handle indexes until recast 100s of times.

Level 16
So basically GUI spells that use Paladon's indexing system are not allowed? Paladon's indexing system uses smart loop and stops the loop when all is over (as good vJass spells do also), but it does not recycle the instances. Though when you use it well, you check with a boolean, or real comparison if the instance is still running, if not, it is immediately going to the next one,,

It still is quite a good indexing system, but recycling in GUI is way harder then in vJass, in vJass you move the struct variable to the destroyed spot,, in GUI, you have to move every variable you use to the destroyed spot!

So basically GUI spells that use Paladon's indexing system are not allowed? Paladon's indexing system uses smart loop and stops the loop when all is over (as good vJass spells do also), but it does not recycle the instances. Though when you use it well, you check with a boolean, or real comparison if the instance is still running, if not, it is immediately going to the next one,,

It still is quite a good indexing system, but recycling in GUI is way harder then in vJass, in vJass you move the struct variable to the destroyed spot,, in GUI, you have to move every variable you use to the destroyed spot!

I lol'd.

No. Anything GUI still blows, even if it uses Paladon's indexing system. OMG SMARTLOOP!!!

Level 16
xD,,
I just mean, it does not loop until some random number, but until the maximum instance number (unfortunately including stopped instances),, And when there are no more instances the number to which the loop runs (the number of Total instances) is set to 0.

And you are right, it still 'blows' as you say, but for the GUI people who dont want to learn the whole JASS package this is probably the best way to do this,,

Level 21
Regardless of your opinion of GUI spells, it's just a really stupid reasoning to forbid spells that require 3rd party GUI tools, but allow spells that require 3rd party jass tools. Either allow both or allow none. Please be consistent in what you say because IMO that's one of the big problems of this site.

Level 19
Regardless of your opinion of GUI spells, it's just a really stupid reasoning to forbid spells that require 3rd party GUI tools, but allow spells that require 3rd party jass tools. Either allow both or allow none. Please be consistent in what you say because IMO that's one of the big problems of this site.

There are too many 3rd party GUI extension tools which are too messy and incompatible with the regular editor compared to 1 single scripted language(vJass) which is is JNPG.

Level 21
I can think of 3, and I guess that's about 99% of all "extended" GUI's that are used:

UMSWE
WEU
EGUI

I don't know about EGUI, but I know for sure that UMSWE and WEU are compatible and both work in world edit newgen. UMSWE even comes with JNGP on default, just like jasshelper. So basically, they come with the same package but they're not allowed? Stupid.

Also note how there's also cJass, an extension to vJass. I don't see any rules about that either, so I really think the rules are inconsistent, as usual.

Level 40
I was wondering whether the MUI rule counts for systems related to heroes, like inventory stuff and so
Yes.

Even if it's of approvable quality right away?
Yes.

What's this kind of stupid rule? Next thing you do is prohibitting vjass because it requires jasshelper?
No. JassHelper is a standard and is widely available, and additionally the map does not instantly crash upon loading if you do not have it. Finally, such editors are becoming fairly obsolete, especially WEU (the big one).

SPELLS ON STRUCTS DOESN"T ACCEPTABLE?
Structs don't just blindly count up—they efficiently recycle indices. GUI spells which act similarly are fine.

How can I know the spell is compatible with 1.24 or not?
Test it in 1.24?

Something like this?
Yes.

other Indexing System is allowed, am I right?
If they aren't badly implemented like the one that you provided above as an example of a badly implemented one.

And, can somebody give me link to download patch 1.24? Is JNGP compatible with that?
Open Warcraft and change your server to Westfall (ClassicBeta), then log in. JNGP is compatible, although you need to replace its common.j.

I know what it stands for and I understand that it adds a more C++ like structure to the coding, I was just wondering if spells written under that would still be accepted. :smile:
No GUI third party editors. JassNewGen is not GUI.

I would have to examine it in detail, but if it does indeed actually competently recycle indices then it would be acceptable.

Also note how there's also cJass, an extension to vJass. I don't see any rules about that either, so I really think the rules are inconsistent, as usual.
I completely forgot about cJass; I should add a mention to that, thanks. I'll have to look into it more to see how stable/near to completion it is and how widespread it is, but I'm not convinced it will be supported.

Level 9
Any other way to download it? I can't open battle.net currently.

im having a similar problem cause i can´t even enter westfall since i have only acces to german versions of wc3.
Will v1.24 be released in the whole world at the same time ? What is if for example people form USA have the new version of wc3 before the people in europe do ? It would be kind of the staff if they wait until everyone has acces the new version, elseway this will cause a lot of problems since THW is an international website.

Level 19
im having a similar problem cause i can´t even enter westfall since i have only acces to german versions of wc3.
Will v1.24 be released in the whole world at the same time ? What is if for example people form USA have the new version of wc3 before the people in europe do ? It would be kind of the staff if they wait until everyone has acces the new version, elseway this will cause a lot of problems since THW is an international website.

Blizzard has always released all of the versions at the same time. I'm sure they're currently testing the English version.

Level 17
Well, I guess old spell using indexing systems such those in the tutorials of Kingz and PurplePoot shouldn't be deleted off the server.

I mean yes hashtables would be better, but I think some of the people who made old GUI spells might not be around anymore to update. And even those around might be too lazy to re-update; laziness is no excuse, but I guess you know how some people could be...

Level 16
I am sorry, i have made a mistake in my upper post, due to that I was not up-to-date on Paladon's indexing system. It, as seems, does recycle, when you use the Dynamic Recycle Indexing System ( I hope i name it right).
Thanks Paladon, for correcting me ;),,

Status
Not open for further replies.