• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Dungeons and Dragons Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So my family's been wanting a D&D game to be created and my Dad doesn't particularly want to make one. I've gotten the idea, and now i'm curious if anyone has any ideas to add to it. Here's the basic story.

In the City of Water's Way, our party starts out in an Inn titled 'The Dancing Ghost Inn' (A hint of what the theme is). After interacting with the inn's inhabitants, the Town Crier comes out, stating the Mayor is asking for volunteers to go fight some bandits who have been attacking the Residents of 'The Shore' (Named so due to it being the farthest from the river.) Of course, nobody really volunteers except the party as they're all either too drunk, or not adventurous enough. After the party deals with the bandits, they return to the city to see everyone walking to one center area in town. In the middle, a wizard is screaming things like "They've slaughtered them all!" "Those things in the river nearly got me!" "I barely made it out!" and other such concerned (and worrisome to the citizens) things.

After a short while, the guards take him away. When the party collects their reward from the Mayor, they see the wizard there as well, rambling on about how the entire academy was taken over. The Mayor explains to them that across the river from Water's Way is an Academy called 'Averann's Society for Mages, Sorcerers and Casters of all Kinds' or 'Averann's Academy' for short.

He states how the Wizard is claiming it was overrun by a gifted student of Averann's named Selleth and a band of necromancers. He obviously doesn't believe this, but is kind enough not to say it in front of the raving wizard. He asks the party to check it out and see if this rumor is true.

They discover they have to cross the river to get to Averann's Academy. What they may or may not know (If they ask the Wizard more, they'll know. If not, they'll be in the blind most of the way.) is that the river is infested with Water Ghouls or Lacedons. There are 3 little docks with which to cross the river. The furthest north is the shallowest water, meaning not many Lacedons, if any, but because of this, he's hiked up the price the highest. The middle dock is vulnerable to Lacedons, but is the middle price. The furthest down is absolutely cheap, but only because the water is completely full of Lacedons since it's such deep water.

No matter how they get across, they'll discover a few fishing huts (With villagers stating they can't fish because of the things under the water) and a Church next to what seems to be a massive crater. Everything in the tomb seems to have mysteriously disappeared (It's a Corpse Gatherer raised by Selleth and taken back to the Academy.)

That's all I have so far. Any suggestions of things I could add? Encounters, Monsters, Events, etc.

Level 21
Having never played DnD with a group(I've played some similar mindgames alone) I'd say that you got a quite promising plot.

Some points about it:
*The plot is fairly linear. I assume players are expected to follow it.(not a necessity afaik)
*I don't understand the last paragraph. What is a corpse gatherer? What was taken back to the academy?
*I assume the players have access to standard equipment at first. I'd recommend spicing it up with some kind of special items from plot-related NPCs.
*Why would the mayor not believe the wizard?
*How hard is the campaign intended to be? Can players fail fatally by making a strategic misdecision(e.g - crossing the river by the south entrance), as opposed lots of tactical ones(bad choices in combat)?
*Do you want to play the game as a thought-game like DnD classically is or do you want to make the game happen in some medium? (e.g - computer game)

Level 4
Having never played DnD with a group(I've played some similar mindgames alone) I'd say that you got a quite promising plot.

Some points about it:
*The plot is fairly linear. I assume players are expected to follow it.(not a necessity afaik)
*I don't understand the last paragraph. What is a corpse gatherer? What was taken back to the academy?
*I assume the players have access to standard equipment at first. I'd recommend spicing it up with some kind of special items from plot-related NPCs.
*Why would the mayor not believe the wizard?
*How hard is the campaign intended to be? Can players fail fatally by making a strategic misdecision(e.g - crossing the river by the south entrance), as opposed lots of tactical ones(bad choices in combat)?
*Do you want to play the game as a thought-game like DnD classically is or do you want to make the game happen in some medium? (e.g - computer game)

- That's mostly it yeah. It's my first one, so giving them a massive one that I can't control probably isn't wisest.

-A Corpse Gatherer is basically a walking Graveyard. It eats corpses and is generally used for Necromancers as a sort of Meat Shield and in case of it's destruction, free corpses. It's got Tombstones for weapons, so the stone will definitely be hurting. Selleth has used it as his own personal defender.

-I do intend to have specialized items, like the Archmage's Ring, or such. There's not going to be much in terms of plate, mail, or leather, but I'll fit in possibly a small militia house that was abandoned?

- It's mostly a matter of personal opinion. The townsfolk have a thing against Elves and Magic Casters generally. He believes the Wizard is just mad.

- I do intend for them to possibly die, but I don't intend to have something like a Beholder (A creature that can kill you with his multiple eyes.) in the middle of it. Slowly i'd move forward into harder and harder creatures.

-I'd like my players to definitely think about it, but it will likely be set in a certain zone. I don't expect them to leave the village grounds, and i've made it so they have no way to get across the river without boat or fording on foot (Which would likely kill them)

Edit: I would want to do it Table-top. It's with my family and they're new to it so making them learn a new thing like that would make it harder for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.