• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft BW on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

So I've got Windows 7 on bootcamp where I play WC3 and occasionally Starcraft BW.

I've been informed of the problems of doing this, namely the power consumption is terribly inefficient (roughly 1 hour 30 minutes of battery life on windows side versus 6 hours on mac side).

However, what is really strange is that when I play SC, my mac heats up like an oven. My Mac is far cooler, however, when playing WC3. Why is this?

SC BW is almost a decade older than WC3, so shouldn't it require less resources?

Level 15
Well I can't run either game natively on OS X, so they are both running on bootcamp Windows 7. WC3 always causes a rise in heat, and during play it does make the computer hot. SC BW makes it always very hot, though! And running WC3 on Wine is even worse.

Windows 7 is very inefficient when used on bootcamp AFAIK.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
However, what is really strange is that when I play SC, my mac heats up like an oven. My Mac is far cooler, however, when playing WC3. Why is this?
I am guessing that there is no frame limit or vertical synchronization. Basically the process will use 1 core at 100% all the time as it has an infinite work load.

WC3 is graphically accelerated using Direct3D 8. This means that most of the complicated graphic calculations are done on the GPU which does them several fold more efficiently than the CPU. On the other hand SC1 was probably before graphic standardization took off (most computers had no graphic accelerator, those that did had one of many different competitors) so will be using the CPU to generate the graphics. Without a frame limiter or some form of vertical synchronization the game will render an infinite number of frames per second limited only by resource availability, using all free resources. The combination of extra CPU work and no GPU work will mean the processor has to run at full clock speed and do more work.

There is also a chance that SC1 is less optimized for modern hardware than WC3. Specifically if SC1 used a lot of CISC assembler this could be the case. All the old 16 and early 32 bit instructions were marked as deprecated after major design revisions required for high speed operation and as such modern processors are no longer optimized to execute them. In fact, many very old instructions are run using internal micro-code instead of fixed hardware units. Calling these functions excessively (like an old program with infinite resource demand) could cause the processor to run hotter than usual since it is using features not well optimized or not even used by recent programs. This would especially be the case with the software graphics as those were often highly optimized for hardware at the time using features that were deprecated for inefficiency. Yes the game works fine but that is what >3GHz more clock speed (entire orders of magnitude) does, it does not mean it is working as fast as it should with the available resources however.

Neither computer should get hot from those games. Maybe if you play a map in WC3 which has a lot of units on screen, they might get hot, but else they shouldn't.
Laptops will always get hot as they prefer passive cooling as active cooling uses power. Also the fact he is not natively running Windows (running it virtualized in MAC OS) and MAC OS graphics itself is not the best (all Linux based graphic systems are not that efficient due to some design flaws from old main-frame days) will mean more resources are used than should be. The difference in temperature is due to the difference in hardware being used to run the process.

The best example I can give is with the recent SC2 game running on a GeForce 8800 GT. That card can run WC3 with max AA and everything perfectly and remain cool. It can also run TES Oblivion maxed out, even with AA and still remain cool. However as soon as you run SC2 at any setting that pushes the card (shaders above low) it quite literally overheats and people even had it catch fire. The reason can only come down to SC2 using Direct3D 10 (only of those 3 games mentioned) which when the 8800 GT was designed was still new (GeForce 8 was first to support it!) so hardware was not yet fully optimized for it. Running these D3D 10 calls caused more power to be used resulting in heat beyond the designed capabilities of the card so it would burn out.

Similar could be happening with SC1 on his mac where the processor, being modern, is designed around running newer/specific instructions fast and efficiently while old instructions are only there for compatibility. I am not sure the people at Intel even consider operating power when running legacy programs as a problem as they should use so few clock cycles that even if it works inefficiently the processor will still operate within its specified power consumption. However a badly written legacy program, running inefficiently in a virtualized operating system without any limit on resource consumption could cause a problem.

My suggestion is to install a parallel OS, Windows 7/8. Instead of virtualizing Windows in MAC, restart the computer and boot into Windows directly. This avoids unnecessary overhead and also allows for more efficient operation.

It could be something dumb like because SC1 uses software render, it generates a lot more interrupts which are expensive to handle (need a lot of resources) due to virtualization.

Level 15
Many thanks for the discussion DSG. I am guessing it's nothing that be fixed, short of monitoring my computer.

Strange though, since Blizzard does still sell SC BW AFAIK.

My suggestion is to install a parallel OS, Windows 7/8. Instead of virtualizing Windows in MAC, restart the computer and boot into Windows directly. This avoids unnecessary overhead and also allows for more efficient operation.

This is what I have, Windows 7 has its own partition of the hard drive and has to be booted into.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Strange though, since Blizzard does still sell SC BW AFAIK.
It still works? It might not work as well as you would like but it still is perfectly playable for a 20 year old game. The short battery life was not a problem since it was never meant to be played on laptops anyway (you are using it outside its designed purpose).

I do agree that Blizzard really should re-relase SC1. Specifically so that it is GPU accelerated and "Battery" friendly. Even a smartphone should have no issues playing it with todays technology, although tough screen interfaces might not be good for gameplay.

Level 15
SC1 works out the box on Windows 7, though I believe it requires a little bit of tinkering to work on Windows 8. I haven't tried it with Wine, but I think it would work (WC3 does, though its disastrously hot).

And a remastered re-release would be nice. It's something Bungie has done quite a bit for Halo, and I think SC1 has been more popular than Halo, at least when calculating the Korean fan base.

Level 5
I think the whole reason behind this is that StarCraft BroodWar was never meant to be made past windows 95... I mean, the graphical errors started rising as soon as Windows Vista surfaced, and now we are sitting at Windows 7 with a bigger issue with graphics rendering. It happens more often than Windows Vista. Then we also have Windows 8, but I don't have that copy and from what I see you don't either, so we won't go farther than 7.
Now, you are also using a bootcamp software (Sorry I don't use Mac at all, but I'm going through with my assumptions) that obviously runs your windows memory and cpu as well as the mac memory and cpu, so that would mean you are running a lot of tasks at once. More processes take up more battery and generate more heat. But, you don't have this issue in WarCraft 3, but this game is compatible with Windows 7 from what I see, no errors at all.
So obviously, it will have to do with the graphics rendering. From my research, StarCraft is a game all generated off of the CPU rather than the GPU. WarCraft 3 is a game that has a balance of the two. So, obviously, rendering through cpu + windows cpu + mac cpu = heat and power loss.
Have you tried closing programs that you don't use while you use the bootcamp?

Also have in mind, if you want to run StarCraft Broodwar as efficiently as possible, follow these:
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del
ending Explorer.exe
(This gets rid of the color error)
---
Click Start (Windows Key), then Control Panel.
Click Display, then click Adjust Resolution.
Adjust the Screen Area to 640x480 and click OK.
(This gets rid of the border around the game - due to resolution issues)
---
If your video card doesn't support the game's resolution, than you can try this:
In Screen Resolution (from above), click Advanced settings.
Select the Adapter tab, then click List All Modes.
Select 640x480, x Colors, x Hertz (select the lowest value for x)

I know it may have gotten off topic tying this up, but I want to see if these issues will be solved by taking these steps.
Maybe setting the graphics to fit the native resolution will help.
Maybe fixing the coloring issues with help.
So much more.
If its fixed please come back and let us know which portions helped.
If its not fixed, then come back and I'll see what else we can do.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Also have in mind, if you want to run StarCraft Broodwar as efficiently as possible, follow these:
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del
ending Explorer.exe
(This gets rid of the color error)
---
Click Start (Windows Key), then Control Panel.
Click Display, then click Adjust Resolution.
Adjust the Screen Area to 640x480 and click OK.
(This gets rid of the border around the game - due to resolution issues)
---
If your video card doesn't support the game's resolution, than you can try this:
In Screen Resolution (from above), click Advanced settings.
Select the Adapter tab, then click List All Modes.
Select 640x480, x Colors, x Hertz (select the lowest value for x)
Or just right click the executable before running it and turn on the appropriate compatibility flags. About 100 times more easy than what you suggest.

pyf

pyf

Level 32

[...] So I've got Windows 7 on bootcamp where I play WC3 and occasionally Starcraft BW.

I've been informed of the problems of doing this, namely the power consumption is terribly inefficient (roughly 1 hour 30 minutes of battery life on windows side versus 6 hours on mac side).

SC BW is almost a decade older than WC3, so shouldn't it require less resources?

Quoting the SC/BW 1.16.1 Patch information:
"Feature Changes

- In-game Speed Options menu now has a "Enable CPU Throttling" checkbox.
Enabling this option will allow StarCraft to consume fewer CPU cycles. By default this option is off."

Did you enable it?

Status
Not open for further replies.