• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do you make a forest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
how do YOU make a forest?

Please, share how you make a forest with the world, have fun with it ^.^

Last edited:
Level 10
This is how i make a forest (ashenvale tileset)

1. zoom out fairly far, cover a large area with "grass"
2. set brush size to 2 and make patches and strips of "lumpy grass"
3. set brush size to 1 and make patches and small strips of "grassy dirt"
4. set brush size to 3 or 4 and select the height tool, increase and decrease the height of random places
5. place trees randomly and not too crowded
6. place mushrooms close to most of the trees
7. place rocks and shrubs where it seems empty.
8. use doodads creatively to make caves, etc..

Thats about it.

Here is a screenshots of what the result would be.

Attachments

• sh.jpg
    sh.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 233
  • sh3.jpg
    sh3.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 208
  • sh2.jpg
    sh2.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 214
Level 36
Well, madman, your explanaition was fairly good, but your terrain wasnt :p
Also, lets add:
- Do NOT make the end of the world viewable, use fog.
- Never let tree and tile touch each other in the pic, place some grass in front, cause if you just make a tree and then nothing to cover up the place where it crashes with the tile it will be a too large contrast.
- Also, do not let the grass nor the trees pitch roll following the hills, rather lower them into the ground unthill they dont float anymore.
- If your good placing grass, vines, flowers and shrubs then the tile variation aint THAT important in a forest.

And for a last little tip, dont make a terrain ONLY focusing on the forest, have a plot, like a road or something that you focus on as well, only a forest will get to boring :p

Level 21
Well, madman, your explanaition was fairly good, but your terrain wasnt :p
Not true. The terrain is good, the screenshots are chosen a bit badly. On top of that, this terrain would have a LOT of potential of being playable, and as a playable terrain it looks good.

Also, lets add:
- Do NOT make the end of the world viewable, use fog.
This doesn't make the terrain bad, it makes the screenshot bad. He has used fog nonetheless.

- Never let tree and tile touch each other in the pic, place some grass in front, cause if you just make a tree and then nothing to cover up the place where it crashes with the tile it will be a too large contrast.
I think in his screenshots it's still ok, and not a real problem. As a matter of fact, grass at every tree's roots are boring and even unrealistic.

- Also, do not let the grass nor the trees pitch roll following the hills, rather lower them into the ground unthill they dont float anymore.
Trees aren't pitching. Well, one is, but every forest has those few trees who grow weird for some reason.

And for a last little tip, dont make a terrain ONLY focusing on the forest, have a plot, like a road or something that you focus on as well, only a forest will get to boring :p
madman gave a good example on this one, right?

Level 3
eh, kind of... im wanting everybody to show how they make a forest, that way newcomers (me somewhat, but ive been terraining for a while :p) will be able to view, and learn how people create their forests, rather than simply look at a screenshot.
I also changed my first post to reflect this :p

by the way, how do i change the title of the post to reflect more of what its about?

(if you do change title, please change it to "How do YOU make a forest?" or change "YOU" to any type of specific person targeting, rather than simply "how do you make a forest?" as if it was a question of how to do it.)

Last edited:
Level 34
eh, kind of... im wanting everybody to show how they make a forest, that way newcomers (me somewhat, but ive been terraining for a while :p) will be able to view, and learn how people create their forests, rather than simply look at a screenshot.
I also changed my first post to reflect this :p

by the way, how do i change the title of the post to reflect more of what its about?

(if you do change title, please change it to "How do YOU make a forest?" or change "YOU" to any type of specific person targeting, rather than simply "how do you make a forest?" as if it was a question of how to do it.)
Try the tutorials section as there is already a tutorial on this topic; by HernenG.
Terraining Tut. - Forests

Level 36
Not true. The terrain is good, the screenshots are chosen a bit badly. On top of that, this terrain would have a LOT of potential of being playable, and as a playable terrain it looks good.

This doesn't make the terrain bad, it makes the screenshot bad. He has used fog nonetheless.

I think in his screenshots it's still ok, and not a real problem. As a matter of fact, grass at every tree's roots are boring and even unrealistic.

Trees aren't pitching. Well, one is, but every forest has those few trees who grow weird for some reason.

madman gave a good example on this one, right?

Look man, firstly: who the hell are you?! :p
And secondly, I was stating my opinions, of how I make terrains, so dont go about and bitch about it please...

Level 34
Look man, firstly: who the hell are you?! :p
And secondly, I was stating my opinions, of how I make terrains, so dont go about and bitch about it please...
He's Elendor, a well respected member and a good terrainer. I'd watch it.

I agree with everything he said. Although it isn't just the camera angle, the terrain isn't very good either.

Level 21
I'm not bitching. I'm saying the terrain is good. It's not "madsen" quality, but it's definitely not the worst I've seen here. He has just made a few mistakes such as making the terrain at the border of the map and choosing certain bad camera angles. If it were to be in-game, it would look good. The issues you mentioned aren't really related to the terrain but to the presentation of it. While representation might be important for galleries, I'm sure that
- the original question was not related to presentation of terrains but to make a good terrain
- if those terrains were to be posted at a gallery, a proper presentation would have been made.

Level 36
Oh right, well, I'm a style terrainer, terraining for only showing the pics. So I gave advices related to that. I now see what you meant, and I'm sorry for my reaction.
We were both aiming for different styles when we said what we ment. So, no hard feelings? ;)

Level 3
jeez... dont mean to be rude but reread what i wrote in first post.. "how do YOU make a forest?" not how to make a forest in general, but how you, personaly, make a forest... it will help many others who want to start terraining, and it also shows how different people make forests, rather than a bunch of screen shots and 1-2 tutorials....

Level 34
A) No one was being rude to you at all.

B) We did share all our thoughts on it.

C) Just look at our work, if you study it you can see what we did.

D) It's easier to make a forest and then have people comment than for us to tell people how to do it.

E) This topic will die off and be forgotten, thus not really helping any new terrainers. We have stickies with help for new people.

Level 18
isn't that a little harsh on this thread Gilles?
i mean this person was just tryin to make a thread.

i honestly dont care about the other thread for beggginers because some of us arn't begginers xD

keep this thread alive!!!

here is what i think a forest should look like... i made it in 2 hours

-i began map with random hieght field, then put random patches of grass everywhere. ( took me 1 minute)
-then i changed the world tree so that it had mushroom pathing and that it was smaller and greener.
- next i changed the ashenvale tree to be bigger and greener. Then using the CTRL_+ PGUP , i raised their heights so that it would actually loook like a tree with a nice trunk ( instead of a wierd spike :O)
- after that i created mountains in the background, then added the fog and then the sky.
- then i made a tall mountain and used waterfalls to make a large waterfall.
- next i changed Max pitch angle of felwood Spires to make it seem realler.
- finnally i added shrubs and crap

And here is the end result :D

oops i for got to add a picture of the waterfall xD

sry

Last edited:
Level 34
I wasn't harsh at all, I stated my opinions on the matter. I don't see a purpose in this thread. I'm not going to close it or anything, it's just my opinion.

Oh and I changed the title, since I never noticed you asked me to. Sorry about that.

Level 34
o good, i thought u were gonna get rid of this thread because ur like an administrator :O

thnx 4 keepin it here, i like seein these forests. Might be helpful to some who cant find a good forest picture.
I'm a moderator, huge difference.

But there are thousands of forest pictures. It's the most popular type of terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.