• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My First Terrain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
From all the things you can make with the World Editor, terraining is the one that attracts me most. I've never terrained before, but now I decided to try and learn...
Here are some images from an island I made today, and I would like you to give me some constructive criticism so I can improve. Thank you.

Attachments

• Island - Front View.jpg
    Island - Front View.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Island - River.jpg
    Island - River.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 166
  • Island - Through the Forest.jpg
    Island - Through the Forest.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 165
Level 11
not bad at all for your first terrain.
1) i like very much this one, but definitely needs a fog
2) it's just my opinion but the sky doesn't match very well with the environment (at least from that angle)
3) use more the smooth tool after you have raised/lowered the terrain
good job for your first terrain

Level 13
Update! I've experimented a little with fog, and I've seen that grey fog is ideal for rain ^^ Now the Island is under a storm... Added another image from a terrain I made in 5 min... Poor dwarves, I must say...

Attachments

• Island - Front View Heavy Rain.jpg
    Island - Front View Heavy Rain.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 559
  • Island - Tornado.jpg
    Island - Tornado.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Undead assault.jpg
    Undead assault.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 162
Level 7
Decent but:

A. Don't spam that many trees. And don't ever use just one type of tree like you do.

B. On the newer pictures there's a big chunk of crazy on the right side of the middle image. ctrl+scroll will take care of that.

C. For 'terrain art' don't use cliffs. Perfectly fine for ingame but not if you're going for the sole purpose of terrain. Or cinematics.

Level 13
Decent but:
B. On the newer pictures there's a big chunk of crazy on the right side of the middle image. ctrl+scroll will take care of that.

Agree with all exept this... it's not a camara view error, it's a tornado D:.

Status
Not open for further replies.