View Full Version : 1st terrain - small island in the middle of nowhere

Squiggy
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Well, this is my first try.. could look a bit crappy but whatever ^^

//Edit: Here my 2nd try - Starfall Bay
Don't mind the purple cube - forgot to disable it -.-

operator
05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Even though it's not good technially. I like it :) Reminds me of those early days of wc3 modding

Mr.100
05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Looks well um weird and pretty plain and the portal doesn't really fit in:D

TheDivineBoss
05-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Looks empty but it's quite a good start for a newbie.

Belgarath
05-20-2008, 08:03 PM
The first one isn't so great, but I still like it, like operator, reminds me of what you'd do when you want to create some epic map for me :)
The second one is a great improvement. It looks very nice. Only plainly see able bad thing is the cube :P

Naze
05-20-2008, 11:56 PM
The second one is much better then the 1st one. Yes, those starfall models looks pretty nice...

Well, as you already have some terraining skills, I'll suggest you these things:

1) If you're going to use something in mass (as you did with the flowers, in the 2nd terrain), never show space between the doodads. I mean, next time you'll make a terrain like that, place the flowers (or shrubs, whatever you want) closer. It is going to look cooler!
2) Don't use cliffs!! Repeat with me > DO NOT USE CLIFFS! No! Never! Try to do this (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=388402&postcount=10) instead of placing those cliffs (it will look a lot better)
3) Don't give up, keep terraining! Practice, and you'll be earning lots of reputation in a short time!

_______

:D

Gilles
05-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Have you checked out other peoples terrain? Studying others can help a lot. I recommend someone like frsotwhisper or Belgarath, for starting out. Later when your a little more advanced check out Tassadoom, MadseN, Void (his new stuff), and Correx.

2-P is another good one. He uses doodads so well.