• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

Level 28
Hey Tal, thanks for sharing the turftile. :) Really appreciates it.

Anyway, I'm currently having a problem with it here is a screenshot.
JL - WIP.jpg
As you can see on the screenshot, there are some black areas that I assume are alpha channel since I can see the sky box below when I press K. I actually have no idea why it is there when I used two tiles that are both just plain square. You can even see on the preview box of the model that it works properly and that is also how it looks on magos. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Level 17
Hey Tal, thanks for sharing the turftile. :) Really appreciates it.

Anyway, I'm currently having a problem with it here is a screenshot.
View attachment 140650
As you can see on the screenshot, there are some black areas that I assume are alpha channel since I can see the sky box below when I press K. I actually have no idea why it is there when I used two tiles that are both just plain square. You can even see on the preview box of the model that it works properly and that is also how it looks on magos. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

This looks like the image kept it's alpha channel. Did you use some tileset texture without modifying it ? Ground tiles use only a bit from the tileset texture but this model uses its entirety.
You need to edit the texture.

And actually, I didn't notice any performance loss even while playing with the entire map covered in the tile. Theoretically, it should give you performance gain because the terrain has no texture filtering. Unless there is some arbitrary leak in wc3 with cliff doodads, which is likely but probably not enough to affect my performance in the game.

Last edited:
Level 28
This looks like the image kept it's alpha channel. Did you use some tileset texture without modifying it ? Ground tiles use only a bit from the tileset texture but this model uses its entirety.

I just used Nano's snow tile texture. I didn't modify it since the tile texture is also just square if you use it as a normal tile.

Anyway, I attached the texture so you can take a look on it if you want to.

About the performance loss, I just spammed it on my map and didn't notice any slowdown.

Attachments

• JL_Snow.blp
    550.4 KB · Views: 107
  • JL_SnowDirt.blp
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
Level 17
Try this one then. It should work with the usual terrain tile texture. (square, with only 2 tile variants)
I can make the 4x4 version as well so it is easier to make bigger surfaces with it.

Nevermind, it doesn't seem to be counted towards the doodad limit.

The missing grid is because I put an empty mdx as the turf tile and placed it, it still replaces the terrain mesh but with nothing.
I did that because the terrain mesh is unoptimized, it does not use any texture filtering and it has a bunch of unnecessary polygons. Removing it gives you a lot of performance in high FOV view.

Attachments

• TurfTile.mdx
    1.7 KB · Views: 93
Level 17
Yeah, I use the 2x2 for smaller things like floors in houses.
This one should work with the 4x4 ruined ground doodad.

The only problem with these two that use the regular tile texture is that the seams may become more apparent.

Attachments

• TurfTile4x4.mdx
    3.4 KB · Views: 112

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Actually, I have a request if you feel like doing it
The biggest gripe I have with wc3 terrain it that it is near impossible to do emotive seascapes. Crashing waves, storms and the like are very hard to pull off.
Agreed. I was actually experimenting some months ago with doing crashing waves with the height brush, a water tile and some light effects to cover up the awkwardness of the whole thing, only the water tile looked like shit

If there is ever a nice and smooth water tile I may revisit that
Basically if you can make a seamless water tile (or ubersplat or whatever) that can interact nicely with the terrain gradient, doing intricate wave sceneries may actually be possible. It wouldn't even need to be animated if that's the drag, I want it purely for scenic terrains anyways

Thoughts?

Level 17
Give this one a try, give it a tile path of your liking. (as long as it is the small tile texture not the cliff ones)
Shift it to the very left (so it is first) for it to be opaque or leave it as the second and it will have a 25% transparency and show skybox. (but only skybox, semi transparent tiles won't show anything else underneath because of whatever rendering priority bollocks)
It's obviously pretty crappy, but it is just an example.

185888-albums6426-picture91507.jpg

Attachments

• SampleWaterTile.blp
    748.4 KB · Views: 125
Level 17
In theory, you could also make a really dense mesh of tessellated waves using the tile doodad that would behave like regular terrain just with a lot more polygons for smaller details. But it probably wouldn't blend with the tile well. (you would have to blend the edges with doodads)

Also here is a sample of what other stuff you can use the turf tile for other than using it as brute force tileset extension.
In this example is a small grate turf doodad that has a hole in it and you can slap anything beneath, eg. a sewer, an oubliette or a dungeon.
You can also make things like sinkholes with it that make a hole in the terrain etc etc.
You can also use it as a replacement for alpha tile without actually having to waste a tileset slot for the alpha tile.
And as you can see, the tile shapes like the regular terrain using the terrain brush regardless of its complexity.

185888-albums6426-picture91537.jpg

Level 16
Talavai, I don't know if I can explain the performance problem, must be something I did wrong but I do remember attempting the same thing and the more I used the more the performance loss. Idk, might be my piece of crap pc or something else and I do think you know very well what you're doing but maybe it's worth looking a bit deeper? Do those things shade correctly btw? I noticed they leave a huge gap in the occluded area of the mesh (try darck DNK) Edit: NVM the shading.

Anyway, what you did so far is genius!

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
After a couple of days of using and trying out these models I must say they are just fantastic.

However I can't seem to find the "pillar" models anywhere, where are they?

EDIT: No problemo, I found them. :)

Edit 2: Is there any trees in the pack? I saw some images that had so sketches atleast. So any trees with the same quality?

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
You're a smart guy, you'll do just fine :)

Oh great and I am here like: "What the hell is even MDX Panther?!" ;D

I really am not good when it comes to texture/model editing or thingelings including/near those things.

So I can make the models look snowy with triggers like with snowing(snow rain)? Right, how do I make the models look snowy from the beginning of the map?

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
This project is still under development, right?

So I was going through the models and I am working on a snowy environment at the moment and I am still in need of atleast following models:
Snowy Log Fallen & Stump
Icicles (that you can hang from trees and roofs)
Snowy/Unsnowy Birch tree

Also is there a campfire model yet? Could be nice to have.

Also while I was making houses I found out that I had (i dont know is there) a piece of roof model that is 45o angle so that you can make roofs that are not pitched. ( I think I said it wrong but here is an image to show what I mean)

In short I want to make roofs that are not shaped like A from the ends but instead descend to each wall around them. Is there one model for this already or is it on the way?

Level 10
Hi, I know this was a topic before here, but I guess it wasn't 'solved'.
What I need is a good way to make a natural looking transition from the 'HFMFlooring'-models to normal ground, let's say grass or dirt.

Someone wanted a single brick, but a model of it was not uploaded (only a screen, please correct me if I'm wrong). So this single brick, or 'flooring tile' would help me alot.

Or does anyone have a different solution for my problem:
Transition from Talavaj's flooring model --> normal ground texture

Level 17
Finally got around pinning the shire pack to the OP instead of scattering it randomly around the thread.
It doesn't have test map still though.
There are some models that aren't in any of the packs and I don't know why derp so I'll have to get back that and recollect. (they probably had bugs and the like and I no longer remember)

Back to S&S but update rate will remain slow.

Level 17
Yeah that was the last thing I was working on. It was a bit frustrating because I couldn't get the big rocks the way the smaller ones looked like.

The way the smaller rocks are wrapped and modeled is very specific to minimize the stretching and maximize the texture coverage but it doesn't work when I try to make huge ones.
It will also require larger texture file.
I'll try again ~ stay tuned

Level 17
Yeah I will try.
Also the pack in the OP now has 12 greyscale trees included as well for some extra flexibility if you ever wanna use unusual colors of stuff without having to tint them ugly via the editor.
Simply import the color of the tree that you want, two of the trees have animated colors.
Let me know if you could use any other color theme, I'll make the remaining trees, grass and three bushes like this as well.

185888-albums6426-picture95680.png

Last edited:
Level 14
I think I would definitely use most of them. The different colors are great for giving different regions (or maps in my campaign) a different theme or feeling.

Level 17
any progress on those bigger rock/cliffs models? ;)

No update at the moment, though that may change soon.
I haven't had time to work on the project in the past couple months.
While I would have liked to continue, doing so would always clash with my schedule.

I'm currently working on Unity and related stuff, so whenever I work on wc3 I always end up thinking I could be doing something with "tangible" results instead, which would then lead to loss of enthusiasm and unsatisfactory results.
To combat this, I have come up with a possible solution that would allow me to spend more time on my wc3 projects while also achieving some of those "tangible results"

And that is paid advertising.
What this means is that in the future you may have to view an ad or such before downloading my stuff.
I have discussed this with the admins already, everything will still be hosted here on the hive in this and possibly an other new thread.
This will come in effect with the next updates, hopefully it won't be too much of an annoyance !
What this also means is that I will be able to spend more time on here, make more frequent updates and possibly branch out to other stuff.

So, yeah !
Rocks and other stuff will be coming soon. Also feel free to suggest anything else you would like to see, new packs even.

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Great to hear you found a way to make great quality assets here and get a kickback from it. I will gladly watch any add you throw at me. I am actually curious as to what site/mirror/code you will be using to display the add? Will it be directly through hive or through another service?

As for requests, I am more than glad to throw some random ideas at you. Here goes:
-Desert-ish themed doodads? Wc3's palm tree selection is a bit limited. (Modular Tropics!)
-I've said this one before, asian roofs/walls/vegetation? For those who like eastern-style maps yet lack the proper resources to make them. (Modular Shiro? (shiro "城" being castle in japanase, at least according to wikipedia)
-With the upcoming release of Witcher 3, maybe a texture pack geared towards it? Similar to Skyrim texture pack.
-A windmill fan, making one out of existing assets is a pain :D
-The long-awaited battlements
-Random winter-themed doodads? icicles that can hang from windows (ballistaria in particular), snow piles, little stuff)
-potato salad. Hungry :D