• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bg/Rpg Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Roughly a year ago I started a project for a battleground like map with rpg elements
(2 factions waging a war for control, and 4 neutral that can side with player team via
separate questlines, each involving dungeons and boss fights), since then I haven't
had much time to work on it, but just recently done some major terraining and could
use an honest opinion on my terrains, and suggestions on how to and where to improve.

Guardian Rise.jpg
Guardian Rise2.jpg
Evergreen Plaza.jpg
Marketplace.jpg
Harbor.jpg
Workers District.jpg
Arsenale.jpg
Royal District.jpg

Rebelion Base Camp.jpg
Rebelion Base Camp2.jpg
Royal Highway (Winterhold).jpg
Swamp.jpg
Swamp2.jpg
Village.jpg
Village2.jpg

Dreadlands.jpg
Duskville.jpg
Duskville2.jpg
Ruined Tower.jpg

Mountains.jpg
Mountains2.jpg
Glacier.jpg

Winterhold.jpg
Winterhold2.jpg
Winterhold4.jpg
Winterhold Glacier.jpg

Instance2.jpg
Instance3.jpg
Instance4.jpg
Instance Fissure.jpg
Instance Chasm.jpg

Just a question there if it's any good for an RPG map (I'd like to use it as such in the future),
I've noticed many of them are using high quality doodads, and are quite large mine's 226x307
in size (around 90% covered with land, of which most is walkable)There's 2 pics with Minimap for refference.

Refference.jpg

Refference2.jpg

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
So here goes. Some reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy stretched textures in that ancient dwarven city. Take a closer look at these rocks and see if you can't do something about them. Now, while you're at it, weed out some disasters. For instance, you don't want those dead trees to root anywhere even remotely close to anything that holds aesthetic value. Moving down the ladder, I'm not sure how I feel about such steep cliffs. I'd cover them up with something less awkward looking. Some rough edges and impurites beyond that, but nothing really unbearable unless you want to pick it clean with binoculars and tweezer.

Now for the good parts, and don't you just love it? Tiles are smooth, effective and coherent. Patchily a bit monotonous in the snowy areas, but you saved it fucking well with those pointy peaks. I might just emphasize it while I'm at it; those snowy peaks are scrumptilicious. And squeezing out that last bit of cajolery, great job actually pulling off that cluttered city vibe without overdoing it.

You can really tell how much work you've put into this; fladdermasken approves.

Level 6
Yeah i kinda ran out of tiles when it came to snow terrains, already had a maximum of 16, as for the stretched textures - point taken, already started replacing some of the bigger doodads and I will look into those cliffs aswell, thanks for advice :).

Level 11
Good job & I can see a whole lotta effort is gone in making it.
But really dude its too much to take in at once, theres a lot of chaos in there.
especially the cityscape, its too hodgy podgy for my taste or maybe I'm just a fucking
claustrophobic.....

Status
Not open for further replies.