• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #14 - Racial Settlements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
kari0003 final entry: Ogre Village

112248d1332617073-terraining-contest-14-racial-settlements-wip5.png

Credits:

UTM
Herio-san for the awsum barrens rock
And the helpful hive members, who gave me suggestions -Thanks!

Level 4
I know it's easier to just judge than actually do things. I'm not trying to be bad here, just want to point out my opinion.

I've seen many contest here at Hive's and probably this is the first one that i have to dissapoint. If you take a look at first page, the description of the contest will say something like this...

Participants are to capture a race from the Warcraft lore's special style of construction and portray how it interacts with their habitat/natural enviroment.

I've seen the progress of this contest and the final entries of everyone, like 2 post before this one, and i know this is supposed to show more creativity than anything else.

But if you take a look on details on every image, there is always something that makes no sense with the Wc3 race /style of construction. But specially none of of the entry's show how it interacts with their habitat/natural enviroment. :thumbs_down:

Out of this personal point of view, congratz to all the participants, while 2 of you didn't showed me a new style, sure made me like some WIP's. :grin:

I know it's easier to just judge than actually do things. I'm not trying to be bad here, just want to point out my opinion.

I've seen many contest here at Hive's and probably this is the first one that i have to dissapoint. If you take a look at first page, the description of the contest will say something like this...

I've seen the progress of this contest and the final entries of everyone, like 2 post before this one, and i know this is supposed to show more creativity than anything else.

But if you take a look on details on every image, there is always something that makes no sense with the Wc3 race /style of construction. But specially none of of the entry's show how it interacts with their habitat/natural enviroment. :thumbs_down:

Out of this personal point of view, congratz to all the participants, while 2 of you didn't showed me a new style, sure made me like some WIP's. :grin:

I understand what are you saying, and you are mostly right. Anyway, I tried make it look like my elves are living in ahrmony with their forest. I think it doesn't show in the picture, but I made many connections between the trees and the platforms on which the houses of the background stand.

@FLADDERMASKEN:
When will the poll be open?

Excuse me, but does the contest allow entries made before the beginning of the competition?

Mr. Goblin made his entry a long time ago.

Also, I remember him saying that he used Photoshop because it is impossible to create the right atmosphere with only Warcraft III World Editor.

Please, do not take this as an offense of any kind, but I think that it isn't right to allow his entry.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/terrain-mr-goblin-212457/

This is the post. In it, Mr.Goblin clearly says that he used Photoshop.

If I may quote the rules of this contest:
No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain (however you may use them to crop).

I don't have anything personal against Mr.Goblin, I actually like him, but I really think that his work shouldn't be allowed in this contest.
Again, please, do not take this seriously.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Excuse me, but does the contest allow entries made before the beginning of the competition?
He didn't do it before the launch, he did it mid-way.
Also, I remember him saying that he used Photoshop because it is impossible to create the right atmosphere with only Warcraft III World Editor.
Yep, I was hoping he would post the version that hasn't been tampered with. I won't include the photoshopped version.

I'm fine with him entering by these premises, but if there's strong opposition then I will exclude him.

Level 22
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/terrain-mr-goblin-212457/

This is the post. In it, Mr.Goblin clearly says that he used Photoshop.

If I may quote the rules of this contest:

I don't have anything personal against Mr.Goblin, I actually like him, but I really think that his work shouldn't be allowed in this contest.
Again, please, do not take this seriously.

Yes he does indeed. Also, when did he even start this? And 2 screenshots? Unacceptable.

Edit: As far as I can tell he started this before the contest started, yet another breaking of the rules.

Level 22
The contest launched 02-16-2012, 11:55 PM.

He posted his terrain 02-27-2012, 02:23 AM.

Only one will be included.

The un-shopped one.

When he posted doesn't state when he started. I could post a terrain on the 25th of April that I started in 2009, and didn't finish yet.

Second off, he didn't post a single WIP. Yet another neglect of the rules. So how can we just take him on his word, that he started during the contest, if he has no dated WIPs.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
When he posted doesn't state when he started. I could post a terrain on the 25th of April that I started in 2009, and didn't finish yet.
This applies to every single entry.

Sure, there's the theme to consider. But we're passing more and more of it off as coherent enough to be accepted anyways. That rule is only there to promote the idea, I don't know of any case where it's actually been/had to be enforced.
I clearly been lazy about it.. I'll remove my post and post a proper submission.
Make it in hidden tags or as a thumbnail, you wretch.

:]

Status
Not open for further replies.