• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #14 - Racial Settlements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
well here is my progress so far:
Murloc Village.jpg
any suggestions?

Level 19
@xorkatoss:
Well, I would make some river in the foreground, tint the grass to match the ground, add more doodads (more grass, rocks, mushrooms, plants, lily pads, cattails), make some visible background terrain, and finally add a matching fog :)

thnx for your help:D
btw this is the first time i enter a terraining contest and this is also my first attempt so that's the reason it's so bad xD

Level 22
well here is my progress so far:
View attachment 111664
any suggestions?

Shorter grass, lots of it, small enough where it looks realistic. Get rid of that tent it's for Barrens terrain sets and looks cheesy with Murlocs. Also, Murlocs wouldn't have walls, they would use their natural swampy environment as their advantageous home, if it were me I would have started this as a elevated chunk of land in a dense, foggy swamp with an encampment of Murlocs using a large tree as their home.

Stick to Sunken models.

Edit: I think I'm doing Humans, living in a port city by the sea bordering the ocean between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms (Lordaeron and Azeroth).

Level 19
Shorter grass, lots of it, small enough where it looks realistic. Get rid of that tent it's for Barrens terrain sets and looks cheesy with Murlocs. Also, Murlocs wouldn't have walls, they would use their natural swampy environment as their advantageous home, if it were me I would have started this as a elevated chunk of land in a dense, foggy swamp with an encampment of Murlocs using a large tree as their home.

Stick to Sunken models.

Edit: I think I'm doing Humans, living in a port city by the sea bordering the ocean between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms (Lordaeron and Azeroth).

thnx for all the suggestions!! but im sort of trying to make this:
Murloc Village.png
well im not trying to copy every detail of that, but im mostly basing it on that pic

use the utm, there u could find a beter wall,tent,watch tower and a rive,and search for HQ models of murlocs
hmm ok, ill take a look at the utm

Level 22
thnx for all the suggestions!! but im sort of trying to make this:
View attachment 111684
well im not trying to copy every detail of that, but im mostly basing it on that pic

hmm ok, ill take a look at the utm

If I were mimicking that I would get a better tent,
there are better tents here on the hive, and I would definitely scrap the wall. And use WoW Murlocs if rules allow it.

Level 19
there are better tents here on the hive, and I would definitely scrap the wall. And use WoW Murlocs if rules allow it.

hmm...im not sure about the WoW Murlocs...does the rules say that they are not allowed ONLY in maps? also i found some wow models a while ago but no wow murloc models...and i don't know how to extract them from WoW and make them usable in wc3(plus i don't even have WoW)

EDIT:
well i decided to remake the murloc village(not basing it on a pic this time)...here is a new version of it, i tried to add background mountains but i don't think it turned out well, in fact i find them really really bad but oh well it might just be me o.o
Murloc Village Remake.jpg
feedback is much appreciated!!:thumbs_up:

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Blafurgh, I wanted murlocs.

Well, I sentence you to exsanguination and death for plugging my concept pipeline. Something slow and painful, like taking a dozen slivers to both eye sockets.

>.>
<.<
hmm...im not sure about the WoW Murlocs...does the rules say that they are not allowed ONLY in maps?
I think we've allowed ripped resources in terraining contests in the past. It's not like we publish the maps or anything, and it's not really that controversial anymore since you could run your hand through pretty much every ditch on the internet and come up with plenty. You should probably run this by M0rbid though.
feedback is much appreciated!!
Great that you dug out a background, it was looking pretty boxed in and cramped. Know what I'd do about now? Focus on a lead motive. You've got an average little camp right there, cozy and cordial. So now you bring out the big guns and up your game by a decimal or two. Check out some of the best terrains we've got to offer and wring out something better.

That's the mentality you should go for.

Oh and some of the formal stuff, like fog, natural environments and lighting. The center one should help you with those mountains you're worried about.

Originally Posted by xRiotZx View Post
hmm...im not sure about the WoW Murlocs...does the rules say that they are not allowed ONLY in maps? also i found some wow models a while ago but no wow murloc models...and i don't know how to extract them from WoW and make them usable in wc3(plus i don't even have WoW)

EDIT:
well i decided to remake the murloc village(not basing it on a pic this time)...here is a new version of it, i tried to add background mountains but i don't think it turned out well, in fact i find them really really bad but oh well it might just be me o.o
well,this is way much better,but morlocs live next to sea shores and ocean
so u don't need to make background of mounts,just make a see using he water and the sunken ruins sand

edit____________________________
i took a deep look at ur picture and i can tell that u have something great, but there is a bug, get the fireFX from our model section and find some better towers\watch towers
and take a look at the UTM,the palms there and other trees are really good
just go under enviroment-->select ur tree u like
and place it;)

Level 19
Blafurgh, I wanted murlocs.
hmm...is it against the rules for somebody to choose the same race as smdy else?

I think we've allowed ripped resources in terraining contests in the past. It's not like we publish the maps or anything, and it's not really that controversial anymore since you could run your hand through pretty much every ditch on the internet and come up with plenty. You should probably run this by M0rbid though.
thnx for the help, ill ask M0rbid asap

Great that you dug out a background, it was looking pretty boxed in and cramped. Know what I'd do about now? Focus on a lead motive. You've got an average little camp right there, cozy and cordial. So now you bring out the big guns and up your game by a decimal or two. Check out some of the best terrains we've got to offer and wring out something better.
what are the big guns supposed to be? xD
also i have no idea how to make the camp bigger without starting it all over...

Oh and some of the formal stuff, like fog, natural environments and lighting. The center one should help you with those mountains you're worried about.
ill give a look at those thnx;p

st onneash;2110530 said:
i took a deep look at ur picture and i can tell that u have something great, but there is a bug, get the fireFX from our model section and find some better towers\watch towers
and take a look at the UTM,the palms there and other trees are really good
just go under enviroment-->select ur tree u like
and place it;)
well for some reason i prefer to make murlocs that live in a forest, not in an island...the problem is there aren't many murloc models for me to use and neither HQ ones so im not sure if ill keep this race...

[b[General Question:[/b]
Is it against the rules to change a race after picking one?

EDIT
I tried to improve it as much as i could, here is the result:
Murloc Village Remake 2.jpg
i know it can still be improved but i really have no idea what else to add/change...
guess ill just wait for a miracle to happen;D

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
hmm...is it against the rules for somebody to choose the same race as smdy else?
Nope, just makes it less original. But I don't really care, I'm going to carry my murloc concept anyways.
I'll just include some quirks and a different atmosphere.
what are the big guns supposed to be? xD
Hell, I don't know. Shear the regulator stem off an air cylinder or something. It's a figure of speech, just butt it from average to interesting.
also i have no idea how to make the camp bigger without starting it all over...
If you want it bigger, you could just push more layers into the background and make it a murloc district.

Level 19
to your general question: You can change as often as you want to, just make sure to post WiPs and clarify on what is your entry.
about the other question: I am fine with it, as long as you do not share the models here at hive.
good to know these
Nope, just makes it less original. But I don't really care, I'm going to carry my murloc concept anyways.
i see..
Hell, I don't know. Shear the regulator stem off an air cylinder or something. It's a figure of speech, just butt it from average to interesting.
lol
If you want it bigger, you could just push more layers into the background and make it a murloc district.
hmm ill try that thnx

Level 2
hi, I'm new :D
I just want to ask something about your murloc village, if murlocs are water lovers and live in a mix between earth and sea why there is a camp fire on their village??? D:
No one will take the gnolls?

Level 21
Well here's what I have so far, gentlemen.

sleek & sexy landscape, nice
now you just need a race :- )!

i'd be quite careful around proportions though since your walls are quite small compared to the trees and they don't seem to be incredibly large. that combined with the walls being a "large looking" model kind of makes for a bit of a wonky scaling already
but very good start

Level 19
hi, I'm new :D
I just want to ask something about your murloc village, if murlocs are water lovers and live in a mix between earth and sea why there is a camp fire on their village??? D:
well obviously they started a fire so they can cook a human;) isn't he visible?
No one will take the gnolls?
you could give them a try;D
Well here's what I have so far, gentlemen.
wow, very good terrain!!

EDIT:
I just finished expanding my murloc village...probably my final entry unless i think of something else to add...

Murloc Village Remake 3:(current entry)
Murloc Village Remake 3.jpg
Murloc Village Remake 2:(before expanding the village)
Murloc Village Remake 2.jpg
well, ver 2 is just for comparing it with ver 3, feedback is always appreciated!!:thumbs_up:

EDIT 2:
hmm...i was wondering, how come besides me and Azurot nobody else showed their current progress and ask for feedback or smth?
maybe they already know what they are aiming for and w8 until the final days to submit their entries?

Last edited:
Level 22
well obviously they started a fire so they can cook a human;) isn't he visible?

you could give them a try;D

wow, very good terrain!!

EDIT:
I just finished expanding my murloc village...probably my final entry unless i think of something else to add...

Murloc Village Remake 3:(current entry)
View attachment 111746
Murloc Village Remake 2:(before expanding the village)
View attachment 111745
well, ver 2 is just for comparing it with ver 3, feedback is always appreciated!!:thumbs_up:

EDIT 2:
hmm...i was wondering, how come besides me and Azurot nobody else showed their current progress and ask for feedback or smth?
maybe they already know what they are aiming for and w8 until the final days to submit their entries?

I actually really like this... Good job.

Level 19
I agree. Fog tint should be green, blue is best for cold environments.
well i mostly used blue fog tint bcz i wanted to make it look like it's night, but if you didn't notice it's raining, so that means it is a little cold;D (using common sense, there can't be hot weather and raining at the same time, so raining = cold)
xorkatoss, This is really a peaceful place but some kind of aggressive murlocks are inhabiting. The environment seems cold.
aggressive murlocs? where? o.o

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
(using common sense, there can't be hot weather and raining at the same time)
Of course it can. Anything spring to mind? You know, this part might even be a hint.

Warm temperatures is partially what causes evaporation and condensation to begin with. The temperature might drop slightly, but it's mostly just a growth in humidity.
Hell, why do you think rain forests are situated near the equator?

Level 19
Wow, so many outstanding Entries.. just wish i still had the time i used to have, to take part in this event. Good luck to all you guys who are taking part :)
by "so many entries" are you referring to the 3 entries? xD
too bad you don't have the time to participate in the contest;/

Warm temperatures is partially what causes evaporation and condensation to begin with. The temperature might drop slightly, but it's mostly just a growth in humidity.
Hell, why do you think rain forests are situated near the equator?
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?:D

xorkatoss, This is really a peaceful place but some kind of aggressive murlocks are inhabiting. The environment seems cold.
sry for late answer, i sort of missed you comment...
anyway, by using blue fog tint i tried to make it look like it's night...i really don't know what color to use=/

Level 13
This is what I got so far.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_030812_140813_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_030812_140813_01.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 203
Level 22
This is what I got so far.

Reminds me so much of LOTR or Warhammer, best entry yet.

well i mostly used blue fog tint bcz i wanted to make it look like it's night, but if you didn't notice it's raining, so that means it is a little cold;D (using common sense, there can't be hot weather and raining at the same time, so raining = cold)

aggressive murlocs? where? o.o

Excuse my language but here I go anyway, it rains in the rain forests all the time, that's why they're called rain forests for fuck's sake. xD

I still say tint should be green... It looks way too cold to be in the tropics.

Someone please give me a race to do, because humans are way too dull for me, quickly though, I'm running out of time.

I am making elves, already started. And yes, ELVES, not NIGHT or BLOOD or HIGH elves, but simple old-style elven race.
And one more thing: Please do not steal my idea :D

xRiotZx:
Someone please give me a race to do, because humans are way too dull for me, quickly though, I'm running out of time.

You can make humans, and it doesn't have to be very dull. Just forget about WC3 concept of humans and make something out of your own imagination. Imagine a castle on a cliff, with some village in front of it, guards on the walls, maybe some catapults or ballistas, proud knights riding in front of the castle... well, you get the point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.