• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #14 - Racial Settlements

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
the%20hive%20workshop.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
4.png

160036-albums4747-picture55867.png

Racial Settlements
Participants are to capture a race from the Warcraft lore's special style of construction and portray how it interacts with their habitat/natural enviroment.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited and be "approved" by the contest host.
  • Map may be based on the Ultimate Terraining Map. The host must clear any additional imports.
  • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain (however you may use them to crop).
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Belgarath
  • the mighty fladdermasken
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Creativity
Measurement of displayed creativity in terms of execution and/or concept (theme)./15

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./15

Technique
Measurement of executional quality, techniques, tricks and overall terraining capacity./15

Aesthetic
Overall quality of the terrain in terms of appearance./20
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 18th February 2012 and conclude on 25th March 2012, GMT

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Thanks for taking my job, fladdermasken. (interpret that however you want, fool :p)
Oh that's okay, it was completely legitimate since you're dead and I was listed as sole benificiary to everything not listed in the very thin »matters of no concern to fladdermasken« margin. Good news is, YOU'RE NOW OFFICIALLY A GOOD MAN AND AN ORGAN DONOR.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
One day I'll force you to make a sky that fits to a terrain and not the other way around.
Haha, I usually redo it completely whenever I'm done with the major stuff. Generally staring into the far end of a blank box calls forth the idle side in me.
I acutally liked the first one more, but it depends on the race you will choose after all.
Yeah I'll leave it for now.

Level 21
on the topic of the judging scores - i don't quite get the usage of detail when there is a section of Aesthetics and Technique. All of the example things come into either of the above categories and, tbh, i don't see the point of using 2 separate things and then a hybrid of both. also, in creativity, "measurement of displayed creativity in terms of, leaving execution out, concept (theme)"? Is that meant to be in terms of how the concept is creative under the jurisdiction of the theme or overall or what? Because of that, especially since that judging says Creativity also judges on the execution, I'd be pretty clueless as to where exactly I'd actually put the scores relative to the theme.

as an alternative suggestion, i'd use theme/technique/aesthetics/...creativity? not quite sure, but the current one has some flaws imo

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
i'd use theme<snip>
The theme criteria is a total jinx. Sure you could jot down a couple of words about it, maybe even pass along your basis on how well the theme was portrayed. But as grounds for scoring?

Meh. The only way I'd approach it is an exclusive disjunction; an entry either does or does not follow the theme.

Level 21
lol yeah theme isn't exactly brilliant although there have been somewhat ambiguous terrains back in the day where such a criteria has helped. those 4 were just simply the old scoring systems i dug out of some pms.
just that detail scoring thing bothers me, though i really have no idea what i'd replace it with.

Level 35
I'd say the description given in the box behind the criteria is good enough:

Detail - The judge's criteria is based on the detail work of a said terrain, not only how much there is but also how well placed these details are, to a sertain extent the "doodad placement" term could apply for that.

Aesthetics - The judge's criteria when he leans back in his chair and simply regard the terrain, what he feels about the overall feeling of the terrain, and to that point I'd like to question why this one in particular should have the most points given. Considering that of all the criterias this is by far the one with a highest likelyhood of being biased.

Anyways, I've got a little WIP for you, nothing much, only bare ground and fog for the moment. Though I thought I'd give you a jest of the fact that I am actually somewhat working on something closely resembling a proximity of an entry.

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 281

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I'm sure this is a dumb question but do i have to register somewhere to enter or just post my terrain ?

Level 6
Can someone post copies of their map as they go, so I can learn how to terrain. I have read the tutorial/s here, but I think I could learn better by looking at the actual terraining in progress. I never really understood how to create a sun and clouds. I think I know the doodad from the Ultimate Terraining Map for the sun, but I have yet to tamper with positioning it. I don't think I ever found the correct way to create a fog effect for clouds and waterfalls. I really want to re-terrain a map I have been making for years, I just haven't gotten around to that step, yet.

Thanks and have fun everyone. I'm sure I will enjoy seeing all of your submissions.

I'm sure this is a dumb question but do i have to register somewhere to enter or just post my terrain ?

Just post it, easy as that.

Can someone post copies of their map as they go, so I can learn how to terrain. I have read the tutorial/s here, but I think I could learn better by looking at the actual terraining in progress. I never really understood how to create a sun and clouds. I think I know the doodad from the Ultimate Terraining Map for the sun, but I have yet to tamper with positioning it. I don't think I ever found the correct way to create a fog effect for clouds and waterfalls. I really want to re-terrain a map I have been making for years, I just haven't gotten around to that step, yet.

Thanks and have fun everyone. I'm sure I will enjoy seeing all of your submissions.

You can view at the end of the contest every entry. But you'll have to ask someone to post WIPs for you.

Level 14
This will probably be the basic terrain, though I have yet to find suitable doodads and theme for the terrain as of yet. Still working on that though!..

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_022712_174211_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_022712_174211_01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 293

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
suggestions please
Feedback in 8 words: Try not to fling ugly textures at us.

Sure, I'll elaborate. Most models you're using are generally nice and decorous, but up close they really look disgusting. Part of what you strive for in terraining is pulling attention away from this, and sticking them where they're basically highlighted is a slip in the wrong direction.

By the way, which race are you portraying?

Feedback in 8 words: Try not to fling ugly textures at us.

Sure, I'll elaborate. Most models you're using are generally nice and decorous, but up close they really look disgusting. Part of what you strive for in terraining is pulling attention away from this, and sticking them where they're basically highlighted is a slip in the wrong direction.

By the way, which race are you portraying?
forest trolls in there natural habitat, i will browse the net for some HD&Q FT models
please tell me egzactlly what u wont me to fix\add\delete\move\replace??

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Fern (replace, relocate, recolor), grass in the foreground (... exterminate), palm in the foreground (relocate slightly, possibly rescale). Then I'd probably mow the hills a tad, clear some space. Also I guess you're cropping this quite alot, you might consider leaving some space for the head motive.
forest trolls in there natural habitat
Try picking up on some inspiration from Hinterlands, might do you some good.

Status
Not open for further replies.