• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Legendary Terrains

Level 1
Whoa! those terrains are epic, "Great job!" to the creators. Personally, i like the outdoor castle , Hell, and the waterfall castle the most, because the outdoor castle could easily be playable, and the other two could be very useful for a wide variety of situations cinematic-wise. The only thing that bugs is that almost none of them would be playable for much if any types of game, which is why i think there should be a thread for Legendary playable terrains, because it says in the descripton it is partially meant to be inspirational, but thats hard when, No offence to creators, there are just pictures of terrains that themselves can't be used for actual game purposes, which means they inspire people to make terrains that can get in here,which will inspire others to make even more unpayable maps, when they could be making a good map that can actually used to play WC3, instead of just having a pic in this thread.

Level 14
A lot of the great "Screenshot terrains" actually helped inspire me to not only make more "Screenshot terrains" but also with my playable terrains. And when you're looking at a terrain from such a scrutinizing angle as most pieces are set at then you start to look at the finer details making for a better terrain.
However, I'm all for a playable terrain thread, but there really isn't too much demand for it. Especially since you wouldn't be too inspired by a screenshot of a certain area from a larger playable area, as it would be too much of a hassle to attach the map of a playable terrain, possibly even a protected map. It's really just too hard to make a "Legendary Playable Terrain" thread as you say, too much hassle without enough to see from the game view angle.

Level 3
6871881.jpg

7366198.jpg

1403792.jpg

Level 18
Here are just 5 nominations. Theres more out there but i dont have time to search for them all =)

i had to reformat them so that i can attach them as attachments

when i come back ill give you the names and titles for each terrain (sorry atm im in a rush ^.^)

1) Goris - "Surrounded"
2) Fladdermasken - "Eye on the prize"
3) Fladdermasken - "????"
4) Kirsi Salonen - "Limbo"
5) Oziris - ????

Attachments

• nomination 1 (Show).jpg
    nomination 1 (Show).jpg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 227
  • nomination 2 (Show).jpg
    nomination 2 (Show).jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 195
  • nomination 3 (Show).jpg
    nomination 3 (Show).jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 160
  • nomination 4 (show).jpg
    nomination 4 (show).jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 186
  • nomination 5 (show).jpg
    nomination 5 (show).jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are just 5 nominations. Theres more out there but i dont have time to search for them all =)

i had to reformat them so that i can attach them as attachments

when i come back ill give you the names and titles for each terrain (sorry atm im in a rush ^.^)

1) Goris - "Surrounded"
2) Fladdermasken - "Eye on the prize"
3) Fladdermasken - "????"
4) Kirsi Salonen - "Limbo"
5) ???? - ????

I would agree for the first one, but not for the rest, because even tough the rest are good terrain, it's mostly Light colour effect spamming.. in most of the case..

Level 13
I wouldn't agree for the 1st one being as it's mainly really HQ models nothing truly terrain like at all but 2 and 4 I believe would work.

Level 12
I definitely agree with thedeathunterxx's nomination of Fladdermasken's "Eye on the Prize" terrain. It's one of my alltime favorites and a personal inspiration to my own terrains.

I'd also like to add two nominations of my own. The first is a self-nomination (massive ego moment) of my Terrain "Light."
94380d1292586366-light-light.png

The other is Oziris' terrain for Terrain Contest 11.
96450d1295445185-terraining-contest-11-battlefields-tc11final1.jpg

Level 23
@nikkin: Please next time use spoiler tags and add something like a comment or information to your terrain. You did post like this twice now and we cannot really see what you want us to know, if you do not clarify about what you mean. (I added the spoiler/hidden tags for you)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Right, as a member of the jury (how about that start for emphasis?..) I am hereby suggesting a couple of terrains I deem fit to be in this here thread thingy.
... and... whore! GO!

(In the correct order as they appear above, left to right)

Mind's Travel (Keiji)
Inventive, well executed, badass. Characteristics that are prerequisite for a top-10 thread nominee.

Egyptian Sandstorm (Azurot)
That sun is just a blast, really is. Overall the background is first-class.

[REACTION=http://axon.blogg.se/images/2009/tony-the-tiger-frosties_31694328.jpg]

Post Cataclysm (CoBrA b)
'Why hasn't this been mentioned till now? It's grrrrrrrrrreat.[/REACTION]

Battlefield (Keiji)
Yeah, another Keiji terrain, sue me.

That's my suggestions for now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

#3 and #4 aren't working. Is it just me or is it like that for everyone?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
You might be used to a different atmosphere than I am. It's a pretty straight forward criticism and I wouldn't say it's rude.

Cut a little short probably (the joke wasn't all that witty, either) but I don't see the point in evaluating given that you're not the author anyways. But for great justice, I can expand and say that the rocks aren't well composed, the red esque tint on the trunks doesn't really contrast well with the pale atmosphere, the waterfall flat out disappears into the ground without leaving a scratch and the whole scene is quite one-dimensional given no particular depth or any glimpse of anything beyond the ledge in the midground.

Pick your favorite.

Level 8
Ugh, those trees are stretched like my legs. Are you pulling my legs?

This, is rude, not too rude like "fu this sucks", buts its not polite either.
And its not criticism.

But for great justice, I can expand and say that the rocks aren't well composed, the red esque tint on the trunks doesn't really contrast well with the pale atmosphere, the waterfall flat out disappears into the ground without leaving a scratch and the whole scene is quite one-dimensional given no particular depth or any glimpse of anything beyond the ledge in the midground.

Pick your favorite.

This is, is criticism.

And in anyways i just made a suggestion of a terrain i liked.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
This turned in to more of a squawk than I intended it to. So I'm going to drop it after this post.
And in anyways i just made a suggestion of a terrain i liked.
Then why are you on my case about it for?

I responded as a sitting member of the Terrain Jury which handles this thread. My job isn't to review the piece properly here more than it is yours to motivate why you recommended it in the first place. I wasn't aiming to be constructive, but I still happened to point out in passing something that the author can tend to if he cares for it. So yes...
This, is rude, not too rude like "fu this sucks", buts its not polite either.
And its not criticism.
... I still find it to be criticism. I don't know why people don't think of sarcasm or irony as criticism.
Read between the lines

• The problem: Tree trunks are stretched.
  • Solution: Compress them.

Constructive criticism doesn't have to be a long rant where you list everything you can think of that you want gone or fixed. In fact, that tends to be counterproductive as people are more prone to nod, agree and not think about it for another second (let alone do something about it). Stack Overflow. There's only so much you want to evaluate in your head when dealing with criticism, and doing it step by step is a pretty gentle approach.

Level 8
... I still find it to be criticism. I don't know why people don't think of sarcasm or irony as criticism.

Constructive criticism doesn't have to be a long rant where you list everything you can think of that you want gone or fixed. In fact,

Yes it does.
Comments,
Criticism
Constructive Criticism,
Sarcasm,
Irony,
Different things.

And i am not all over your case man, i just made a comment. Peace