• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

vJass Spells or Systems Maker looking to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So, I would like to run a thread here where I can have something to do.

I have made a few systems here or there, nothing major so far, as the map I made doesn't really require anything fancy. Even spells are somewhat boring in it.

And yet, here I am making another map. But to further my skills and give back to the community that has taught me so much, I would like to attempt to fulfill your requests.

Submit here requests for spells or systems or whatever. If it's something to be triggered, but you don't know how to do it, post it here, and I'll see what I can do about it.

Just don't go posting something without making sure it's thoroughly explained.

And bear in mind, I won't furnish any GUI stuff...but I will make vjass spells, and when I do so, know that my code will have plenty of comments to help you figure things out.

So that's it, just know that I will do my best to make your request be usable, but you are expected to explain everything I need to know about what you need up front. If you can't do that in a single post, don't bother posting.

I'll be using the pastebin to put your requested resource(in .w3x format) up for you to download, and I'll update the original post here with a link to the pastebin, as well as the code in a spoiler tag. One more thing, I'm expecting you to also post a link to a pastebin of what you got going in your map (just post the whole map) so far so I have a base to work on in triggering whatever it is that you need triggering.

Note: If you do not know what vjass is, please do a google search and don't ask about it in this thread.

Level 3
well I was thinking if you could help me a lil in GUI trigger, coz when it comes to JASS it becomes too complicated for me since I am still a newbie and still reading lots to learn, I have been having troubles when it comes to giving a trigger skill "levels"

since I can't find a condition that is something like, "hero skill level = 1 = true"

and another problem that I have been facing is that, when I create/spawn a dummy unit to a certain targeted unit, it doesn't automatically "face" the target I want it to face, If it is possible to help me out here, it would be a great help.

It is sure nice of you to make a request thread, I just hope you would still help create GUI triggers, THANKS!

Level 13
i could create a gui trigger...but it wouldn't make any sense to do so. i can make a jass trigger that you can edit...you only need to be able to read english to edit a JESP jass trigger.

but in fact, you haven't asked me to make a trigger at all. you just asked for tips on creating triggers...

about your questions...
numbers are referred to as integers and reals. integers are also used with hex codes like when you press ctrl d in object editor you see 4 digit codes for objects...those are actually hex numbers. i actually don't know how to convert them into regular numbers, but i've seen that order id integers are not hexed are are regular numbers.

when creating units, it's generally best to use the
CreateUnit() function. using the standard create function given to you in gui is not effective. if you use CreateUnit(), the last value is the facing angle real. 270 is facing down, and 90 is facing up. 0 is facing to the right, and so on.

but please don't continue to post here asking questions about the editor. this is a requests subforum. you post here to ask for resources. i can give you knowledge but that isn't what i was offering. i was offering triggers. of course, it's good if you learn how to make triggers by answering questions...but i think you can learn a lot more by looking at my examples. that's why i'm not going to give you any gui triggers...because you'll learn by reading them in jass. if i tell you to go make a trigger in jass, you'll fail...but if i give you a trigger in jass and tell you to use it, you'll do just fine.

it isn't really a discussion thread...but i'm curious...why would you even want a dummy to face a particular direction? isn't it supposed to be invisible, anyway? just tell me the exact trigger you want, and i can try to make it.

i guess i'll just write you the lines of code you need. you can implement them in gui by inserting custom text script.

since I can't find a condition that is something like, "hero skill level = 1 = true"
if GetUnitAbilityLevel(herovariable,abilityidvariable)==1 then

herovariable might just be GetTriggerUnit(), and abilityidvariable might just be GetSpellAbilityId()

so...
if GetUnitAbilityLevel(GetTriggerUnit(),GetSpellAbilityId())==1 then

keep in mind, that is not very efficient, AT ALL... it's much better to do something like this:

local integer lvl=GetUnitAbilityLevel(GetTriggerUnit(),GetSpellAbilityId())

later on, you put in...
if lvl==1 then
elseif lvl==2 then
elseif lvl==3 then
endif

this is much more efficient as it does less function calls, and is less typing for you to deal with. another thing to keep in mind is that you can use math to make extra levels have increasing effect.

jass is better than gui just because you can code things faster, because drop down menus take so long to deal with.

i'm not sure what you were trying to do with the dummy unit...but i can give you some lines of code that could be useful.

call SetUnitFacing(dummyunit,GetUnitFacing(targetunit))
targetunit might be GetSpellTargetUnit()...obviously if you're using a dummy unit, it's going to need to have a variable. you don't have to stop with the dummy unit though, you can make the caster, target and others variables too.

Last edited:
Level 3
ok mate, thanks alot for the awesome heaps of helps you just gave out, when I think of the spell for you to make, I will do so, please wait :) I do plan studying JASS in the future, thanks for being cool

---

ok how about using the assassin/warden model as a hero

when the 'hero' casts the spell, an exact copy of the unit appears/created in front of the caster, the exact copy of the 'hero' would 'walk' animation towards the targeted unit then damage the targeted unit when the exact copy performs one attack animation on the targeted unit, while this is happening the casting 'hero' will be channeling and would be doing a 'victory stand' animation.

only that simple, since i can't do it in GUI, and please give it 4 levels, increasing in damage

Last edited:
Level 13
uhm...that's an interesting request. do you want the copy to home in on the target or just walk towards where it currently is? do you want it to just keep going after the target like a regular unit? or do you want it to walk over other units or obstacles...etc.

Level 3
the copy would walk towards the target, but if you can make it look fast movement i only used walk = for animation, and make it move like a regular unit, but let it pass through units but not on obstacles

---

are you still working on this? it's been a "while"

Last edited:
Level 13
i really don't understand why you want it to walk over units but not obstacles...does this mean you do not want it to walk over, for example, a cliff?

now, you didn't answer my question about the target. it sounds like it's a unit target spell so you meant you want me to make it home in on the target.

ok, i'll probably code this very soon.

so basically, if i got this right...you want this ability to be like a melee hero's way of damaging from a farther distance. sounds kindof creepy, what's the name of the spell, if you don't mind my asking?

just so we're clear...since this spell does not go over obstacles, do you want it to only work on straight line trajectories(if obstacles are in the way, then you get a warning as if you are casting a spell on a magic immune unit or other error message), or do you want the hero image to go around the obstacles that are in the way?

if you want it to go around the obstacles, do you want the channeling time and the time to hit the target to increase...or stay the same...? if it stays the same we'll possibly have a really crazy fast phantom(absurd)...if it gets extended(which would be realistic), it could be bad for the hero to stay in channeling mode...both options sound a bit odd but i can't think of any other way to deal with going around the obstacles. so i asked, do you wanna make the spell be cancel if try to cast on target with obstacles in the way?

sorry for late reply...i have been looking for a real job lately and nothing's turned up yet.

Level 5
How often do you check this, dewd? Kinda long spaces between posts here it seems :/

The request: Currently I'm making a hero with a spell that tracks the location of the cursor to only require one click instead of clicking to cast and then again to target. I threw a map together today to try someone else's suggestion and created a dummy spell for the hero to cast. I went into the GUI (ohs noes, not GUI) since my knowledge of jass is limited, and lo and behold, trying to save a trackable handle to (last created hashtable) is crashing my editor. Am I using the wrong event, is my editor trashed, or is this not possible with GUI?

Will edit post to contain map later, gonna throw in some comment triggers to explain what I need, if the post wasn't clear enough.

Level 13
uhmm...
ubran, have you heard of keyboard shortcuts? you can hotkey the spell so it only takes one click plus a keyboard button. are you saying you want to cast a spell where the cursor is at when you press the keyboard button?

you don't make much sense to say you want one mouse click but you described clicking on the ability...

or do you simply mean that you need a spell that targets units on it's own? i can make that, that's easy. just give me the specifics.

for example, castable range...what targets are valid, what targets are invalid. is there any target preferance parameters. and of course, what does the spell do to the target. finally i have to confirm you want to target a unit only, or an area around a unit, or what exactly...

i believe there might be somesystems coded or attempted to be coded to track the cursor point, but i've never tried to use them. i'll look into it if that's what you meant.
as far as hashtables, i honestly don't know how they work...i would just use a system that someone else coded which would use hashtables for me.

Level 5
Well, I was typing fast yesterday, so understandable lack of good communication xD

-by one click to cast it, I meant the hotkey, yes.
-ever played League of Legends? Karthus's Lay Waste ability more or less
-should deal aoe damage around the cursor after a 0.5 second delay
-needs a special effect of some kind to signify where it will explode, as a warning for other team (gotta keep it fair)
-should only deal damage to enemy units
-in theory could be done with a second spell cast at the cursor's location like Flame Strike, since spawning a dummy unit to cast it might screw with casting range.

I'm sure I could learn to do this myself if my editor wasn't being a jerk about the trackable idea someone else gave me, or had the time to get good at jass.

Level 13
i'm not sure but...well...let's do a google search, eh...

hmm...
http://www.playdota.com/forums/265428/vector-targetting/

if those guys are right...then you're asking me to do something nobody can do, and you are missing the point of the thread. the point of the thread is for me to make some trigger that you can't do, but i can do. i'm not super coder. i'm just a regular jass coder with some time on his hands. i'm not interested in doing coding miracles.

unless my searches are bad, it looks like nobody's got anything worthwhile made up...

it sounds like you want a shooter. don't bother me with this.

now if you want me to attempt to code something that would be a smart casting system so you can cast spells and have them automatically be casted, i can give that a try...

but ability cast with user targetting and without a click on the terrain or unit just sounds bad. they said something about doing something laggy with trackables...

if your map is tiny, that might work, otherwise, forget it, and go with my alternative.
as it is, idk anything about that cursor tracking stuff, i'm not super coder.

UPDATE:
as for cozythrias' request:

i'm going to make it so since you asked that the spell not go over obstacles, what i'm going to do is code it so that the image will bounce back to the caster. i might later add on an option for the spell to cancel itself and display an error message if there's obstacle in the way.

Last edited:
Level 3
Liqueur Strike would be the name of the skill mate, thanks for replying at last

btw take your option w/c doesn't loook buggy, I'll be using your codes for my study and credit you when I finish my map.

you can make it go through obstacles, and it is a target unit spell.

UPDATE:
as for cozythrias' request:

i'm going to make it so since you asked that the spell not go over obstacles, what i'm going to do is code it so that the image will bounce back to the caster. i might later add on an option for the spell to cancel itself and display an error message if there's obstacle in the way.

well I liked this too, just do what you can and prefer, I hope the idea is still there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.