• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Tip's

Level 5
This tutorial is fairly easy to do, so it should only be useful to people who are "new" to triggering. In this tutorial I will explain how to make some "Tips" appear in your game giving the players some advice as well as how to turn them off and back on using in-game commands. This tutorial is very basic and well explained.

Difficulty - 4/10

Step 1 - Making Variables
When you are on your "Trigger Editor" press Ctrl+B, this will open up the variable window. When you are in that window press Ctrl+N (To create the new variable), name the variable "RandomNumber", and change the variable type to "Integer". After you are finished with the first variable make a new one (Ctrl+N) and name it "Tips", after naming it, change the variable type to "String", click the check box below called "Array" and change the Default Number to however many tips you want to be in your game.

Step 2 - Making the Triggers

A - Set up tips
To make your Trigger Editor look neat, make a Category (Ctrl+G) first where you can put all your triggers related to this tutorial into, call it "Tips". After you have made the Category right click on the category and click "New Trigger" and name the trigger "Start Tips". After the trigger is made make a Event (Ctrl+E), choose the event "Map Initialization". Next you need to make a action (Ctrl+R), after you have made the action open up the actions by clicking on the second box to the top and scroll down until you see "Set Variable", click on this. Next what you have to do is click on the red "Variable" text and change it to "Tips", next to where it now says "Tips" it should say "Index", now click on this and change it to 1(This is going to be the first Tip, this is the Array you changed earlier). After you have changed the number to "1" click on the text "Value", and change it to what you want your tip to say. After you have finished this make another event repeating everything i have just explained except when you get to the array change it +1 number from what the last number was(This tip was 1, so the next one would be 2), and then change the Value again to a different tip.
  • Start Tips
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Tips[1] = Being friendly to players, will make you friends!
      • Set Tips[2] = Helping people out when needed will ear you respect!
      • Set Tips[3] = When you treat others badly, don't expect to be treated any nicer!
~~This trigger is now done~~

B - Display Tips
Make a new trigger (Ctrl+N) and call it Display Tips. After you have made the trigger, make a event (Ctrl+E) and choose the event "Time Periodic Event" when chosen change the number where it says Every 2.00 seconds of game time to 30.00 seconds. After this make a action (Ctrl+R) and choose the action Set variable again, when chosen change the Variable to the variable "RandomNumber" and then change the "Value", this time instead of putting text you need to click on the box next to "Function:" and open up a menu, click on "Math - Random Number" and change the number "10" to the amount of tips you wrote down on the other variable (I did 3). Now you have to make another action (Ctrl+R), for this action scroll down and choose "Game - Text Message (Explicitly Timed). Click on the red text "Text" and click the check box at the top next to "Variable" and click the box next to it, change it to "Tips", now where it says [ Index ] click on it, then click the check box at the top next to variable again, click the box next to it and change it to "RandomNumber".
  • Display Tips
    • Events
      • Time - Every 30.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set RandomNumber = (Random integer number between 1 and 3)
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: Tips[RandomNumber]

C - Turn Off
Make a new trigger (Ctrl+N) and call it Turn Off. After you have made the trigger, make a event (Ctrl+E) and choose the event "Player - Chat Message" when chosen change the text "Text" to "-tipsoff". After this make a action (Ctrl+R) and choose the action Trigger - Turn Off, when chosen click on the text "(This Trigger)" and then click the check box at the top next to Variable. Next click the box next to it and choose the trigger "Display Tips".
  • Turn Off
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -tipsoff as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Turn off Display Tips <gen>
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: Tips have been turned off!

D - Turn On
Make a new trigger (Ctrl+N) and call it Turn On. After you have made the trigger, make a event (Ctrl+E) and choose the event "Player - Chat Message" when chosen change the text "Text" to "-tipson". After this make a action (Ctrl+R) and choose the action Trigger - Turn On, when chosen click on the text "(This Trigger)" and then click the check box at the top next to Variable. Next click the box next to it and choose the trigger "Display Tips". This trigger is the exact same as the other one except you are using a different action and string to activate the trigger.
  • Turn On
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -tipson as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Turn on Display Tips <gen>
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: Tips have been turned on!

If you have followed my steps closely and correctly, hopefully you were able to achieve this goal, if so great, if not leave a comment explaining what you don't get or won't work. I am going to attatch a map to this tutorial so you can look over the Triggers.

Attachments

• Tips Tutorial.w3x
    18.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Level 4
I do have a question. how am i supposed to set the turn on trigger for all players. i have player 1 2 4 and 7 in the game and i need them to use that same skill or just have the tips auto say. check back to me on my thread when you can to show my my error

Last edited:
Level 17
  • "Tips", not "Tip's".
  • Use

, and

tags.
    [*]Avoid the colour. It makes it difficult to read.
    [*]Post the triggers using
    • tags.
    • [*]The user would get the same result from copying a tips trigger directly into their map.
    • [*]Use Map Initialization instead of a 0.00 elapsed game time timer (negligible difference, really).
    • [*]Remove your signature.
    • [/LIST]

Level 8
  • "Tips", not "Tip's".
  • Use

, and

tags.
    [*]Avoid the colour. It makes it difficult to read.
    [*]Post the triggers using
    • tags.
    • [*]The user would get the same result from copying a tips trigger directly into their map.
    • [*]Use Map Initialization instead of a 0.00 elapsed game time timer (negligible difference, really).
    • [*]Remove your signature.
    • [/LIST][/QUOTE]
    • I wanted to mention all of the above points, but it seems hvo-busterkomo already did O.o

Level 5
1. I don't know how to use trigger tags.. I should experiment with them...
2. I'm using colors to help people navigate back to a spot if they are switching back and forth between screens...
But thanks for the other suggestions, i fixed "Tip's" to "Tips", removed my signature, and changed it to Map Initialization... I'll get working on figuring out this "Trigger" tags...

And for Iron Elf
I do have a question. how am i supposed to set the turn on trigger for all players. i have player 1 2 4 and 7 in the game and i need them to use that same skill or just have the tips auto say. check back to me on my thread when you can to show my my error
Make another event, then change the player from Player 1 (Red) to Player 2 (Blue), and so on.

Last edited:
Level 17
1. I don't know how to use trigger tags.. I should experiment with them...
Copy and paste a trigger in between them.

2. I'm using colors to help people navigate back to a spot if they are switching back and forth between screens...
But thanks for the other suggestions, i fixed "Tip's" to "Tips", removed my signature, and changed it to Map Initialization... I'll get working on figuring out this "Trigger" tags...
Use GOTO tags.

And for Iron Elf Make another event, then change the player from Player 1 (Red) to Player 2 (Blue), and so on.
It'd be better to have a force (player group) for all players that want to have tips displayed. When a player disables it they are then removed from the force. When they enable tips they are then put back into the force.

Level 5
Well everything has been already said!
But still Difficulty - 4/10 is somehow hard :D
This one is more 1/10 honestly :D
Thanks for the feedback, i rated it 4/10 because i thought this would be a bit challenging for the people who actually needed it, its not hard to people who know how to trigger, but hard for them.

Telling the user how difficult the tutorial is to follow is useless. I think they can conclude how difficult it is themselves.
I agree with you, i just wanted to put that in there so that the people doing it would know its not the easiest assignment, but also not insanely hard to do.

Telling the user how difficult the tutorial is to follow is useless. I think they can conclude how difficult it is themselves.
Well I saw 2 variables and few triggers with less then 10 actions together so I didn't find it hard :D

I agree with you, i just wanted to put that in there so that the people doing it would know its not the easiest assignment, but also not insanely hard to do.
Ok then keep it that way!
But if I can give some suggestion show people how to colorize text, just like you add colors to this tutorial :D
I mean show them some color codes etc

Oh I forget...

Show them difference between quest messages like hint and simple game action show to all players etc!

Level 17
Well I saw 2 variables and few triggers with less then 10 actions together so I didn't find it hard :D
Exactly my point.
But if I can give some suggestion show people how to colorize text, just like you add colors to this tutorial :D
There are separate tutorials for that.

Show them difference between quest messages like hint and simple game action show to all players etc!
That wouldn't be a tip so much as it is explaining something in its entirety.

hvo-busterkomo grrr why are you so hard :D
Why not to write few lines more and give some more examples and tips!

Also why tutorial don't have standard form?
Introduction, Requirements, Main part of tutorial, Few more words, Author notes and so on...

Good colors you could use, that fits THW theme:
#D0F680
#60A600
#CCAA00

instead of white and cyan...