• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Sequence with duration 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hey guys,
I made a small effect that always spins around the Z-axis, using a global sequence with a duration of 500 (1000->1500).
Originally I used a stand animation, also with 500 duration.
I noticed that it stucks for like 0.01 seconds every half second and assumed that I made some mistake in the global sequence, but it turned out it was the stand animation reset that made the spinning stop for a short time.
I wanted to increase the stand animation time to 1000->10000 so you won't notice it since it'd only appear once in 9 seconds, made a typo and accidentally set it to 1000->1000.

Turns out it never stucks with 0 sequence duration.

The question I now have:
Does it somehow affect performance if it has to play the stand animation basically infinitely often as long as one of these models is around? Are there potential other issues?

Edit: Just did a performance check, it seems to lower the performance.
With 800 instances of the model I had a difference of about 3 FPS.

Last edited:
Level 17
mind share the model in question ? doesn't the animation loop ?
and that about performance isn't necessarily cause of the animation, if you had 800 instances of a model the fps is bound to drop either way.

and I kinda don't get it, can't you just remove the stand animation now that it's 0 duration anyway ?

Level 8
mind share the model in question ? doesn't the animation loop ?
and that about performance isn't necessarily cause of the animation, if you had 800 instances of a model the fps is bound to drop either way.

and I kinda don't get it, can't you just remove the stand animation now that it's 0 duration anyway ?
The animation loops, of course. But as I said the global animation shortly stops when the stand animation "resets", so if it goes from, like, 0 to 500, it runs smooth until it reaches 500, stops for like a millisecond while jumping to, then works fine again.

I know that there is an FPS drop simply due to the number of models, but I tried a version with the sequence going from 1000 to 10000 and one with it going from 1000 to 1000, and there was a difference (stabilized at around 18 FPS with 1000->1000, 21 with 1000->10000).
I'm using a 0->10000 now (moved the death animation somewhere else)

If I removed the stand animation
Wouldn't it only display the death animation then?
Can't test that right now, it's a bit broken atm.

Edit: Tested, it just uses the death animation then.
So it needs the stand animation, but the stand animation doesn't need a duration.
Well the super long duration should solve any potential problem.

Last edited:
Level 8
Do you have the same frame at the start and end of the sequence?
You mean if the start and end of the global sequence are equal?
They are, they fit into each other quite well and it works.

The main issue is solved anyway since I just gave it a long stand animation (also for some other reasons). The model is working perfectly fine.

However, I'm still interested in the fact that 0-duration-sequences are possible. They can make some stuff easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.