• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Realistic HQ Terrain Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I was terraining for years and since I visited this sites, I finded many terrainers expertised at terraining, such as M0rbid, I don't make quality maps and I don't know how they made that. I have seen that these terrainers who have such quality terrains, use custom tiles. And my question is where can I download those tiles? And they use some realistic doodads, where can I find them also? I've searched the resource sections but I never found any tree/doodad or tileset that looks realistic. And those terrain artists make it high quality. How can I make high quality terrain? Where can I get the custom realistic tiles? Where are all realistic trees or doodads? Or are those terrain pictures just a illusion? Are they polished with photo programs? How can I make special effects like they do there? What do I need?

Level 19
Are those terrain pictures just a illusion? Are they polished with photo programs? How can I make special effects like they do there?

Lmao. They are never polished with photo programs..

to start off, you can check the UTM or Ultimate Terraining Map, and yes indeed, those HQ tiles and doodads aren't here on hive since most of them are exclusive on the site where the resources originally came from. search wc3c.net, and others.. they have tons.

If you lurk on this forum (terrain board) you'll also see some people releasing the actual map, if they give you the permission to use the resources inside that terrain and do so. Others releases packs of HQ models for public use.

Just explore. I have tons if you need some HQ doodads, just specify what but talk to em through VM or something not on this thread.

Apologies for my grammar

Best Regards,
RaijinSpark

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Illusion? Bah, I reckon you could refer to it as such.
Not by using photoshop though, no sir.

There's an entire arsenal of techniques used, most of them openly shared in tutorials.
This guide is a blast - provides the basic knowledge one might need to start terraining: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...e-terraining-hives-terraining-section-184427/

In the end however, it all comes down to imagination and creativity :p

EDIT: I don't know how many times I've linked that guide, can't people just make it a rule of thumb always to examine the stickies before asking these questions?..

Status
Not open for further replies.