• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Questions about game messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can they desync? If so does GetLocalPlayer fix them on top of creating empty existing strings then using those for local player?

Also does this desync and if so why?
[trigger=]
Events
A player types -clear as an exact match
Conditions
Actions -
Cinematic - Clear the screen of text messages for (Player group((Triggering player)))
[/trigger]

It shouldn't desync since it is already using a local.

By the way is there by any chance a list of desync's for some of the functions Blizzard unsafely handed us?

Game messages won't desync as far as I know. There is a rumor about string table desyncs, which goes as followed:

When a string is used in wc3, it will be entered into a string table. When the string is accessed again, wc3 will look in the string table instead (saves performance). The rumor is that if a string is entered locally, it'll mess up the table and cause a desync.

However, this issue kinda sprouted up without any justification. I tested it a while back, and it doesn't seem to desync. I didn't test it incredibly thoroughly, though. But I believe it is just a rumor that spread around. Even if the table ends up out of sync, it doesn't seem to be enough to cause a disconnection (at least not by itself).

Clearing a screen of text messages for a force won't desync. The general rule of thumb is that visual effects tend to be safe. Creating/destroying things usually are unsafe. But there are actually more specific rules (as noted in my tutorial in my sig).

By the way is there by any chance a list of desync's for some of the functions Blizzard unsafely handed us?

Camera - Smart Camera Pan
There might've been another one. I forgot. But that is the main one to look out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.