• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Playdoughrevisited's 2D Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Tentative Map Name: Playdoughrevisited's 2D Battle
Name of the creator:
- Hive ID: Playdoughrevisited
- Most common BNet ID: Powderedmilkman
Current stage of the map: Alpha Stage
Summary of the map gameplay/objectives:
- Objectives: Eliminate other players, most kills win
- Gameplay: Using the arrow and a few other easy to remember keys (because they'll be the same as a basic NES emulator), one moves around in a "2D+" environment, shooting, jumping, running, dying, etc...
- Controls:
o - Side Arrows - To move back and forth
o - Right Click or Space Bar - To fire weapon
o - Up Arrow - To jump
o - Down Arrow - For special move, the next Right Click or Space Bar will perform special or crouch
o - Shift - Select
o - Enter - Start
o - Z - B
o - X - A
o - A,S,D,W - Left, Down, Right, and Up, too.
Map features:
  • 2D environment, mimicking common NES play
  • Hero battles
  • Strategic Items
Miscellaneous Info (credits?): n/a yet

Hi, for all future work on my "2D" game that I'll be working on (and anyone helping of course), this will be the main thread. I will edit first post regularly to make more reading convenient.

My intent is to use a bird's eye view camera angle to mimic the 2D feel in such classic games as Super Mario Bros and Mortal Kombat. Credit goes to Exilus for the inspiration to do this after playing his Soldiers game. After this game is finished and all triggers worked out, I intend to make those said games, also.

First Difficulties and Solutions (with creds to who gave em)...

1. Rotating character, at hip, to appear sideways...solution? by the_Reborn_Devil. You can rotate it the way you want by changing this in the object editor: Art - Maximum Roll Angle to -90. This will make it lay on the ground facing left when turned 180 degrees. For right you need to change this: Art - Maximum Roll Angle to -270 and set the facing to 0.
By darkrider. you need to modify unit's pitch angle and roll angle. those are in object editor in every unit. EDIT: perhaps you should know that you must use negative values. Those are entered by holding down SHIFT+ double click on the field you are about to change and then enter the negative value.
2. Creating Gravity, a southward direcitional, that accounts for the raised terrain as platforms. By Purplepoot originally. You can detect terrain height differences using GetLocationZ(someLocation). Still need to solve the gravity part.
3. Arrow key movement, tutorial by OneEight7even is helpful but not what I'm looking for. Used Wimpycow's youtube tutorial. Part 1 and Part 2. It goes more in depth with everything.
4. Unit is half sunk into the ground as it moves about, changing the unit's height in the object editor fixes it in the editor, but when testing, it is half in the ground.
footyoo9.jpg
Solved by making a hovering unit.

unsolved notes:
5. How to make unit face only left or right, but still be able to move in any direction. So, if the left arrow key is pressed then the character moves left and the model does too, until the right arrow is pressed then it faces right...

People on list for Beta testing:
DarkAngelAzazel

Last edited:
Level 3
thx

2. if you store the vertical velocity of the unit, then every interval where you move them subtract the acceleration due to gravity per interval from the velocity (then, set velocity = 0 when they hit a platform, of course).

great idea, thanks, that just makes it a basic physics 1 trajectory problem :]

Last edited:
Level 13
Hey,

this seems to be an interesting project.

You really should take a look at this map: http://war3.incgamers.com/?p=mod&m=11041
It feels & looks very 2d, has platforms etc and looks quite cool! I think it's engine would be great for a mario based game and I'd prefer it to the soldier's engine. It's open source.

I've done a nearly 2d-like project in the past too: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f202/arcade-rpg-2d-52935/. You could take a look at it too, but I had only very basic or even zero jass knowledge when I worked on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.