• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Map Idea: Twilight Islands

How does the idea sound?

• Good Idea, but a little unpolished

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Okay Idea, but rather rough

• Very rough, needs serious work

• Not good, the whole idea won't work

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've almost finished a map, "Twilight Islands" and am just wondering what it's overall popularity is likely to be. The map has for "bases", in the corners, but of a fair size. The team primarily works at the beginning cleaning up their own "base" as trouble has gotten there just before the game begins.
Basic Idea: There are four teams, and three players in each team, each playing a different power in the team, sorta like H&E.
Players: One plays a command role, controlling a town hall and a few peasants, you can probably get a rough guess about after that. Another plays a "hero" or RPG role, commanding at first one hero, working up to three, roughly protected by the command player, and helping the commander in certain places. Finally the last player controls a "Deity", who is not able to enter the field often, but is lethel when he does.
Objectives: The empire player just harvests resources and builds buildings to get on his feet, while the hero player kills local creeps.
Later, the players work to unlock the center, enabling the empire players easier access to other teams, (explained below) the hero players quick access to most anywhere as well as the purchasing of powerful items and resource trading. (wood to gold and vica-versa)
Finally, toward the end, the deity player is able to incarnate himself, but requires all of the major upgrades from all allied players and himself, and afterwards, he has a tail-kicking hero-like thing, which he must get to a certain level and send to the center.
Economy: The empire player harvests wood with peasants and gets gold every few seconds, (the amount and rate of which can be increased with certain upgrades) the Hero gets both gold and wood from killing creeps and other enemies, while the deity gets a small amount of gold and wood from every unit that dies (more though from hostiles than from freindlies) and cannot get food by themselves, as they require sacrafices from the empire to show loyalty. (1 food per level of sacraficed creature)
Center: At the start of the game there is an area known only as "the center", surrounded by water, blocked by force fields, and guarded by powerful hostile creeps, to open the force fields, one must activate one of the circles of power at the four sides of the islands, killing a respective guardian dragon to do so, and than the one who activated it must go to the force field facing the activated circle, but only the owner of the circle may open the fields, so if another takes the circle in their absence...
The command player, after the center is unlocked, can get generals, (but must sacrafice a dragon first) who are rather powerful and automatically respawn after a period of time.
At the start of the game, invulnurable anti-air towers prevent any units from crossing through the center, but are destroyed when the center is unlocked.
Four warp gates, connecting to importent locations on the main island area, start the game dormant, but open when the center is unlocked.

Also, please post comments on where it can use work and questons about it.

Level 6
well i think the map is very interesting.. .a bit complex at first... the only thing i see is that the deity player doesnt have much of a roll which may result boring to the player eventually it would leave... perhaps add minor rolls to the deity until it can come out

Level 3
Most likely, I'll probably need to go into a bit more detail there...
The deity player starts out with 0 food, they, themselves cannot acquire any food, each unit they can produce costs at least 5 food, with the exception of the "Incarnation", which costs 10 food.
The empire player though, has an ability called "sacrafice" which targets a unit they control and kill it instantly, giving an amount of food to the deity equal to the level of the killed unit.
So, the deity player's ability to enter the field actually depends on the empire's ability and willingness to sacrafice their own units.
Another thing I forgot to mention, a unique factor of this map is that the results of one player's researches carry over to both other members of their team, which not only might explain how some previously mentioned factors work, but is also relevent in a research category of the deity player's, humanoid upgrades, just a few upgrades benefiting most empire units as well as heroes
Anyways, I don't mean to drag anyone else down, but thanks for mentioning that, there are several things I always forget to mention, and this is a good way to remember them.

Level 3
When it's done I intend to upload it onto this site, so it should be readily accessible to anyone, but I'm also wondering about something else, I'm debating sending 2 versions, one "protected" and optimized, and one free, but terrain flattened and something else that doesn't hinder learning but makes it impossible to copy, as a map, or just simply send it, I'll probably go with "protected" and learnable, partially becuase I don't want it stolen, but more because it has an obnoxious loading time.
Or, I could send a not quite completed piece, missing something importent but not vital, put it in for a few months, and if it doesn't get popular, I doubt retards will be interested in stealing it, and if it does, I doubt anyone will be fooled by cheap imitations...
The idea also being that, if it is stolen during the trail period, I can send my improved version and say: HA! Also, if that happens, I will have to go with the afore mentioned plan.
I also feel it's missing something, but can't put my finger on it, any help would be appriciated...

Level 6
well you have my email so contact me anytime... hehe i put on halt my other project and iam currently working on a map where santa crashed in azeroth and you have to defend him until he fixes his um... how do you call it... anyways... just a map for the holidays =) but i have time :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.