• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Learning Jass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey guys.
I've just read quite a few tutorials to help me move from GUI to Jass. I've noticed that most of the tutorials are 7-8 years old.
Just wondering if there are newer more modern techniques out there that these tutorials don't cover.

Also can someone please suggest a place to learn intermediate level Jass? I've read and understand most of the basics but advanced stuff is a bit too complex for me (eg. systems). I've read in many tutorials and manuals that some people use X technique but is outdated and now people use this (eg. structs, Gamecache, ___vars). Just want to know what people are doing these days.

Thanks.

Level 17
Learn JASS 'basics', and practise. Best way to learn.
Then go the same for vJASS.

JASS hasn't changed for 12 years (close to 13) and the syntax, natives, BJ's and stuff haven't changed. All said in a 7 year old tutorial are still true. All limitation is your imagination, in the base of JASS (talking of JASS, not vJASS, Zinc, Wurst or others).

Level 7
Have a look into tutorials under "JASS" category here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...lemental-definition-guide-274346/#post2773772
If you have already elemental understanding of how a programming/scripting language works
then you can/should also try to learn coding with using vJASS syntax, as it can simplify a lot of things.
I don't really get the difference between Jass and vJass. I'm reading the vJass manual now but it gets a bit complex 25% through. The tuts you linked are pretty awesome. Didn't know some of the stuff about GUI. Reading through them now.

To be honest learn Zinc rather than jass.

The syntax is simply easier to use for 99% of all people. Thus less confusing.
Does Zinc offer more? I feel like there is a lot more support for Jass and vJass here on hive.

Learn JASS 'basics', and practise. Best way to learn.
Then go the same for vJASS.

JASS hasn't changed for 12 years (close to 13) and the syntax, natives, BJ's and stuff haven't changed. All said in a 7 year old tutorial are still true. All limitation is your imagination, in the base of JASS (talking of JASS, not vJASS, Zinc, Wurst or others).

Ok, its just that I want to start practicing now but unsure how to start. Eg. I want to remake my missile system. Do I still use hashtables or do I save the data in structs. I don't know the advantages/disadvantages of the different techniques. I think I can achieve similar end results but would like to know what is best/preferred by most people.

Level 19
Zinc is basically a slightly limited version of vJASS with a c-like syntax.
[jass=Jass]function foo takes nothing returns boolean
call BjDebugMsg("Hello World")
return false
endfunction[/code]

[jass=Zinc]function foo () -> boolean {
BjDebugMsg("Hello World");
return false;
}[/code]

(I personally dislike the arrow)

I like Wurst because it is, imho, very user-friendly. A lot of the things you would typically need to download/copy/recreate every time you start a new project are included in the standard library. It also has a nice indentation based syntax which usually leads to nice readable code.

Wurst:
function foo () returns boolean
    print("Hello World")
    return false

Of course, it may (and most likely will) takes some time to get used to but that pretty stands for the rest as well.

Also, jass tags actually work now? Cool :D

Level 17
Ok, its just that I want to start practicing now but unsure how to start. Eg. I want to remake my missile system. Do I still use hashtables or do I save the data in structs. I don't know the advantages/disadvantages of the different techniques. I think I can achieve similar end results but would like to know what is best/preferred by most people.

Dude! Don't start with big things! Missle systems can still be a challenge for vJASS pro.
And if THAT'S what you are asking, then the title is a bit misleading in my opinion. It should be like "Best Techniques" since techniques can be used in all programming languages like even GUI (I know GUI isn't a programming language but as an example) for example Hashtables can be used in GUI, JASS, vJASS, Zinc, and other stuff (Table by Bribe is better than Hashtables, just saying).

Level 7
I think I'll just stick with Jass. I've spent so long reading tutorials about it. Kinda waste to switch now.

Dude! Don't start with big things! Missle systems can still be a challenge for vJASS pro.
And if THAT'S what you are asking, then the title is a bit misleading in my opinion. It should be like "Best Techniques" since techniques can be used in all programming languages like even GUI (I know GUI isn't a programming language but as an example) for example Hashtables can be used in GUI, JASS, vJASS, Zinc, and other stuff (Table by Bribe is better than Hashtables, just saying).

Sorry, but a title that says best techniques is too broad and might not attract the right attention. I wanting to know what the next part is in learning Jass. I've learnt the basics and now I want to know what do most people use for certain things. Eg. Like getting a toolbox and learning how to use most of the tools but not sure which tool is the most effective to solve a certain problem. Will look into this Table by Bribe now. This is the sort of thing I am looking for. So basically if this table is better, I can forget about hashtables and only use Bribes table thingy. I want to know other things that people use that are better or things that people just don't use anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.