• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Help with Neutral Unit Behaviors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Say I'm using 12 player slots, while using the 4 computer neutrals as towns/factioned armies.

The problem is that the neutral rescue and neutral extra units have neutral behaviors. They flee when low on HP, they don't attack buildings, they run back to their original locations, and they're generally a pain in the ass. I've had to edit the neutral behavior for creeps as well to stop the running back to spawn.

I've already written out the majority of my 'neutral behavior bandaid' and am a few days from finishing it, but I was wondering if there was an easier solution.

Currently I have to script it so that if a building is up and a neutral is near it, they are ordered to attack it- so long as they are not being attacked and so long as there are not any enemy units within range.

Does anybody know of a less lengthy solution?

Level 4
Let me just say what i think. having 12 players in a map is a lot. If you are going to play this on battle.net, good luck getting that many players. That being said, save yourself the trouble with using neutrals and make it an 11 player map with 1 computer. Or 10 players with 2 computers so they are enemies. Don't mean to be harsh.

Doing it this way allows for like 2 factions that you can fully script and if its an rpg type map, you are still able to use neutral hostiles as creep camps, and passive for shops and whatnot.

I'm sorry i dont know a better way

Level 12
If you are going to play this on battle.net, good luck getting that many players.

Finding players isn't going to be a problem. I have a circle of friends whom are all waiting for me to bust this map out.

If I can provide 8+ people to play, finding public filler players to play won't be an issue. The better the map is, the more people are going to want to play it, the more it will be played, IMHO.

The bottom line is: you can always move those 2 computer slots to neutral slots later.

That's true. I just wanted to really test the 3v3v3v3 aspect before really diving into all the trigger work.

I know that if I write the map for 10 players, as soon as I write it for 12, the computer controllers as well as triggered scripts all have to accomodate for that 12. I just didn't want to deal with sorting it out later, rather than now.

I'm almost done coding it, though. Thanks for the words of wisdom, Eleandor.

Status
Not open for further replies.