• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Current Save/Load System to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey there,

i was just wondering what Save/Load system people currently use? Is there a "most" efficient one, in terms of how much you can save into one code?
I stumbled over Kode (System - The Shortest Save/Load Code Ever | The Helper), which claims to produce the shortest codes, but i feels like the system was never properly finished and might possibly be buggy.

So what to use?

Thanks in advance!

Level 4
I would probably use this Codeless Save and Load (Multiplayer) - v1.3.5. It should work good, and TriggerHappy is maintaining it good, in case there is something wrong.

Thanks for your reply!

This goes a little bit into the wrong direction, though. Which is my bad, because i should have clarified.

I am looking for a system that you can easily customize with JASS. The system of TriggerHappy seems to be meant for minimal work. So you don't even specify what you want to save.
However, I need a system that allows me to save whatever i want.
Such systems usually provide methods of adding integers to some sort of array. And when you're done adding stuff to the array, you simply call a generatCode or whatever method, specifying the number of items you put into the array. In return, get the code.

Surely i could alter the system of TriggerHappy to save additonal stuff, but i feel like it's just too much bending backwards.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 34
It's almost better to learn how TH's system work and remake it for your personal need instead of looking for another working one, because I think there's no such thing.

What you need to understand from the system (to remake it) are how it encodes & decodes data, how it reads & writes data to files, and how to sync the loaded data when loading. And this is one thing you have to keep in mind: don't do anything locally, other than displaying debug messages and writing/reading stuffs from files.

Level 4
That system uses a combination of these two:

[vJASS] - Sync (Game Cache)
Optimal Save System 0.4 - Wc3C.net

You can use any save system you like with Sync to make it codeless. That demo is more for GUI users anyway.

Note: Patch 1.28 boke local files, so loading is not working currently. I was told it would be fixed.

Oh, very interesting. I will start looking into it then and see if i can make sense of it.

Thanks everyone!

Edit1: What do you mean when you say that local files broke, though? You mean as is it's not possible to create local files anymore, or what?
Does it only affect your load-system, because it works with local files in a specific way?

Oh, very interesting. I will start looking into it then and see if i can make sense of it.

Thanks everyone!

Edit1: What do you mean when you say that local files broke, though? You mean as is it's not possible to create local files anymore, or what?
Does it only affect your load-system, because it works with local files in a specific way?

Allow Local Files is a registry key that allows you to read files from the local directory, like save files.

So is the system you linked (Optimal Save System 0.4 - Wc3C.net) still up-to-date? Could i use that system directly, as documented in the thread?
Or did you alter it in some way for your own system?
Is the non-vJass version approved?

It works fine even for todays standards. Nestharus will swear there's a possible innacuracy in the BigInt division, or something, but I nor the very popular maps I've played which use this system have experienced that bug.

I may have changed a couple things to get it to compile correctly.

Kazeon

Level 34
It works fine even for todays standards. Nestharus will swear there's a possible innacuracy in the BigInt division, or something, but I nor the very popular maps I've played which use this system have experienced that bug.
Is it related to the produced code? Sometimes in my map it produces a code with only 3 chars in length (normally it should be more 15), which breaks the save data of course.

Is it related to the produced code? Sometimes in my map it produces a code with only 3 chars in length (normally it should be more 15), which breaks the save data of course.

Are you sure there's not some thread crash or something? Unitialized local ect..? I've never had it happen to me in the thousands of times I've generated save codes with this. I'm not saying Nestharus isn't right, but it's all speculation for now unless there's some proof or thorough explanation.

Kazeon

Level 34
Are you sure there's not some thread crash or something? Unitialized local ect..? I've never had it happen to me in the thousands of times I've generated save codes with this. I'm not saying Nestharus isn't right, but it's all speculation for now unless there's some proof or thorough explanation.
I can't be sure. The error was very rare to encounter and appeared very randomly. I will just spread some debug messages between my codes then, and see if it reveals something.

Level 4

I may have changed a couple things to get it to compile correctly.

Any chance that you remember what changes you made for it to compile? Are those changes needed because the system was written with an old version, or why?

If i were to implement this system in a map, i guess i would have to make the same changes you did?

Edit: It's saves fine, but the game crashes when i try to load the map. Any idea why?

Status
Not open for further replies.