• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

An Animation Tutorial for milkshape..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Well, I can't really write a tutorial, but here are some great tips & tricks:
-In every frame, if something has not moved, that is usually bad.
-When making things float or suspend in air, make a keyframe to move that unit to where you want it to be, and then make a keyframe 5 frames later making the unit inch up ever so slightly. This will create an "ease" effect where it looks much smoother as opposed to stiff. Alternatively, if you want something to fall, make it move slow at first, then make it move fast.
Example: For my goblin rocket riders, their stand animation lasted between frames 1-60. 1-10 made the unit float up. 11-15 made the unit go up a slight bit more. Then I reversed the animation (explained below) across 16-30. I repeated the process, only going down for 31-60.
-Reverse animation: Makes a lot of animations turn out smoother and less rigid.
-Use copy and paste frames. I use these so much I assigned them hotkeys!
-Never use too few bones. If you think you might need it, put it there. If you didn't need it, that's much better than running Zero Joints, animating your model, THEN realizing you needed it.
-Practice! There is no better way to learn animating than to practice.
I think those are the best tips, I understand the second one was difficult to understand, it was difficult to explain. I might post pictures in a little bit.
--donut3.5--

Level 27
Well, if you don't know basics, then here are those:
A frame is every single point in time which you can possibly animate.
A keyframe sets your animation. You must make the changes, THEN set the keyframe. This works a little bit odd, but that's just how it goes.
You seem familiar with the rest, so I wont bother.
Picture for what I was explaining before is below. As you can see, the translation of the black dot was much greater in frames 1-10 as opposed to 11-15, where it barely translated at all.
--donut3.5--

Attachments

• framedemo.gif
    framedemo.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 138
Level 35
There is only one Max importer (that I know of) that gets animations.

And Milkshape doesn't support the usual interpolation, so it's useless.

Closest you can get is wiring your skeleton up to existing animations.

Then two questions: I do have Gmax to so that max importer (a link) would be nice.

Jow to do the last bit you said... ? I make the bones attach them and so and then I can import other animations on them or??

Level 35
Oinkerwinkle's Animation Transfer will transfer the animations if the bones are named correctly... I believe.
--donut3.5--

If thats correct, then I still would have to know what the bones in the real unit was named...

Oh just saw this:
1. In Magos, you can create and position bones... Although I'm not sure if you can assign vertices from there.
2. Oinkerwinkle's Note Track can allow you to adjust keyframes I believe...
3. Follow the link above.
--donut3.5--

If you in MAgos can create and position bones, wil lI then be able to accach the bones to the vertices in milkeshape, then go to magos and animate by posisiton the bones? As far I know Magos I cant do that, but maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.