• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Seek for: List of known reasons for Fatal Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multiboards and leaderboards cannot be made on map initialization.

If you try to use any triggers/functions on a lightning that was destroyed, it'll crash.

This list has a decent amount as well. It is worth the read:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/world-editor-help-zone-98/list-warcraft-iii-crashes-194706/

But usually fatal errors should be handled case by case, apart from the really popular ones (which is usually because of (1) an object/faulty import (2) Player(x) index (3) lightning).

Level 20
Hmm, I can exclude nearly all listed reasons. Referencing to player(x) is the one I can't yet exclude.
Is there any possibility that removing a unit from the game can cause a Fatal Error? Maybe because any other triggers that use waits are still refering to the already removed unit, taking its playernumber (x) and then doing something with player(x)?

I just tried to reproduce such a problem, but I wasn't successfull. The game seems to always threat player 1 as the owner of removed units. So I am probably wrong with guessing that reason.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Is there any possibility that removing a unit from the game can cause a Fatal Error? Maybe because any other triggers that use waits are still refering to the already removed unit, taking its playernumber (x) and then doing something with player(x)?
Yes it is possible. I also think it is possible that removing units under certain event states can cause a crash (eg event queued on unit after another event but unit is removed before event executes).

The game seems to always threat player 1 as the owner of removed units.
It returns Player(0) as a safe default value as opposed to null since that would almost always cause a segmentation fault type error if used. Equally well things like Player(16) will cause a fatal error.

Level 20
Yes it is possible. I also think it is possible that removing units under certain event states can cause a crash (eg event queued on unit after another event but unit is removed before event executes).
In my case, the Fatal Error happened, when a player left the game while still being alive. His remaining units got removed, and any trigger messed up, probably.
I will change that to killing all of his units instead and hope for the best :D

Status
Not open for further replies.