• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question about game cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello. I see in a lot of tutorials that people use Game Cache - Reload all game cache data from disk. What exactly does this do and is it necessary to use it?

In Blizzard campaign maps - demo and normal ones this is never used. Also they always use the same Campaigns.w3v name for all missions while in tutorials I see people using Game Cache - Create a game cache from Tutorial.w3v and then they change the Tutorial.w3v to something else with game cache variable I guess. Are you always supposed to use a game cache variable?

Can I just use Blizzards method. Say I want to make my own campaign. In the first mission I do Game Cache - Create a game cache from Mycampaign.w3v and from there on always use the same Mycampaign.w3v when creating game cache and storing/restoring units/integers/etc...

Thanks.

Level 4
But I am storing them in a different category for every mission, for example in Mission 1

• Next Level Prep
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Game Cache - Create a game cache from Mycampaign.w3v
      • Game Cache - Store Arthas as Arthas of Mission1 in (Last created game cache)
      • Game Cache - Save (Last created game cache)
Mission 2

• Load Arthas
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Game Cache - Create a game cache from Mycampaign.w3v
      • Game Cache - Restore Arthas of Mission1 from (Last created game cache) for AP_Player at (Center of Arthas Start <gen>) facing 350.00
      • Set Arthas = (Last restored unit)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • Arthas Equal to No unit
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Arthas (Evil) for AP_Player at (Center of Arthas Start <gen>) facing 350.00 degrees
          • Set Arthas = (Last created unit)
          • Hero - Set Arthas Hero-level to 2, Hide level-up graphics
          • Hero - Learn skill for Arthas: Undead Death Knight - Death Coil
          • Hero - Learn skill for Arthas: Undead Death Knight - Unholy Aura
        • Else - Actions
          • Hero - Set Arthas Hero-level to 2, Hide level-up graphics
And at the end of every mission save it in category MissionX and then load it in the next where MissionX is the number of the mission that the hero was saved, but always use the same name for game cache - Mycampaign.w3v

Level 4
Hey, that's pretty neat, certainly solves the problem. In fact it's just reminded me exactly what's wrong with my Game Caches.

It was actually copy-pasted (and some non-topic stuff removed/changed from me) from the the last Frozen Throne mission so the credit goes to :fp: Blizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.