• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] OP Limit (question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I've searched around I cannot find a informative answer nor have I found anything that is detailed enough to specify what this is exactly, is 1 integer (loop) adding a +1 to the operation? What exactly is adding to the operation I'm blind here.

If a thread can with stand 33,333 or 25,000? I question this because my loops don't nearly even hit 100 even though I'm running a sequence of about 5 Integer loops of them so we then have a total of 500 loops. Am I missing something, why does it stop at only 500?

Level 26
300k micro ops, every little instruction costs something. There was a price list somewhere but I do not find it anymore. Iirc, most stuff was like 4, but that really means every little thing like reading a variable, writing to it, arithmetics, control structures like the start/end of a loop, comparisons, returning, function calls etc. That adds up and since function calls can be nested and the execution may vary (e.g. with ifs you can go different branches), there is not a good way to determine the burden of a function at compile time.

But yeah, you should separate what does not belong together anyway, open a new thread for functions you know may be expensive and avoid algorithms with a high amount of iterations not only because of the op limit but general performance.

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p=1076343

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.