• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Detecting artillery style aoe and source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi,

I have a rain of arrows spell which uses artillery units to attack ground at location, spell works fine but i recently added a custom damage system as well and now i need to detect when a unit is hit by the artillery.

-EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ATTACKED does not detect artillery attacks
-knowing the location of the attack does not help me because of flight time, i know how to make arrow functions using timers but i don't want to because i want the arrows to have very high arcs and i dont know how to make arrows look correctly during the arc
-EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGED can detect artillery attacks and GetEventDamageSource() will show me what caused the damage but i will have to add almost every unit to the trigger

so my question is it ok to add every unit as they enter the map to the trigger or is there another solution or am i boned?

Thanks

Level 3
Thanks for the reply ruler,
i'm currently using a simple damage detection system i found on thehelper by emjlr3, that i can easily understand, manipulate for my purposes and has worked fine for me up until now.
I've done a stress test with the EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGED trigger on every unit with 500 units added and removed to the map in lots of 50. i didn't notice any increase in lag, so i'm going to assume it's okay to use, unless an expert says its got some hidden devilry in it.

Level 25
Thanks for the reply ruler,
i'm currently using a simple damage detection system i found on thehelper by emjlr3, that i can easily understand, manipulate for my purposes and has worked fine for me up until now.
I've done a stress test with the EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGED trigger on every unit with 500 units added and removed to the map in lots of 50. i didn't notice any increase in lag, so i'm going to assume it's okay to use, unless an expert says its got some hidden devilry in it.

It sounds like you know what you're doing :)

Did you use Windows Resource Monitor to check if there is a constant increase in memory usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.