• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] adding Learnable hero abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hello...

does anyone know how to create a trig that can add hero abilities that will become learnable via the red cross?

I see this is something that has been worked with before, the solution being an upgrade engine, but that is simple not an option for me.

My program has over 54 different spells. which means a ton of wasted space if I was to use an upgrade engine system.

Please some body, provide a solution that works. It would be a fun little project if this was finally solved, some of the brightest Warcraft minds... working together, to solve a common disaster.

please and thank you=)

You could try using the glitch to add more then 5 hero abilities through shift though you'll need to know your raw codes as well in addition to that you will need to know how to enable which abilities you want to be learnable and disable the rest.

Otherwise usually it is a fake/visually cheated hero ability system unless someone knows otherwise.

Level 19
Thanks to everyone who helped out(NO ONE!!!)

I found/created a solution...

Solution:

After your user has created/selected new hero powers for you hero

Keep the old powers on the hero.

When you spend an unspent point on one of your previous powers. The power in the space of the old power slot will improve.

basically.

Bash is the old power
windwalker is the new power

the old bash is still available via the red cross(usual power selection)
but when you upgrade bash, windwalker levels up instead

Bash is disabled or removed.

so simple... but hive is too damn stupid to be of any help.

Come on Hive.

I saw idiots writing pages and pages of code for this damn simple thing.

It took me 2 trig and a few shops and items.

Level 25
Wow, how nice of you.
Just for clarification, nobody has to answer you or find solution for you. It's just up to people if they get the idea of how to do the stuff, have time and how nice they are.
Not only that, you posted in the wrong subforum - you posted where people ask other for help to fix triggers which don't work... the World Editor Help subforum is for finding a way how to do some stuff or how to trigger systems which is your case. So chances are some people who may have helped you didn't simply because they don't visit this section.

Dat-C3 already posted an answer of how the issue is usually solved.

Level 26
Noobie please. There's a tutorial section. If you want a help through a thread, you must present the thread with a detailed description, with enough effort put into it.
The less effort you put in, the less likely it is for you to get help. Chances are that this question, as vague and generalized as it is, has been answered before, have you checked out previous threads first?

Thanks to everyone who helped out(NO ONE!!!)

I found/created a solution...

Solution:

After your user has created/selected new hero powers for you hero

Keep the old powers on the hero.

When you spend an unspent point on one of your previous powers. The power in the space of the old power slot will improve.

basically.

Bash is the old power
windwalker is the new power

the old bash is still available via the red cross(usual power selection)
but when you upgrade bash, windwalker levels up instead

Bash is disabled or removed.

so simple... but hive is too damn stupid to be of any help.

Come on Hive.

I saw idiots writing pages and pages of code for this damn simple thing.

It took me 2 trig and a few shops and items.

I am pretty sure I answered this perfectly, now please stop insulting us with your stupidity. :thumbs_up:

What you posted was one of the "usual ways" where you have shop items to pick new skills and default hero abilities and then disable them then add new ones by triggers and then detect when one of the defaults are leveled. It's nothing new, many AoS's/Moba's have done this already in wc3 and I even suggested this to you.

So.. yeah your welcome, I know we're very helpful.

Level 12
You could try using the glitch to add more then 5 hero abilities through shift though you'll need to know your raw codes as well in addition to that you will need to know how to enable which abilities you want to be learnable and disable the rest.

You can't add more than 5 hero abilities, after 5 others won't work.

Level 19
Hey!

If i know insults works so well...I would have done it a long time ago.

I think I got more posts here, then I have ever received on any of my posts.

And look at how many answers people have provided.=)

Level 12
I've got a system for this set up, you 'buy' what abilities you will use at the start and then later on when the hero gains levels you can level up them through the standard way.

it uses engineering upgrade w/ disabled spellbook.

Level 19
I've got a system for this set up, you 'buy' what abilities you will use at the start and then later on when the hero gains levels you can level up them through the standard way.

it uses engineering upgrade w/ disabled spellbook.
sounds good, can you show it to me by any chance.

My game has already got so many bits... I need to cut down on some of the code.

thanks for the post

Level 12
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/nl9luw/_files/Custom Hero Abilities test map.w3x

As it is to make a new ability and to allow it to be picked you make 5 copies of it (so it can have q w e r t), one engineering upgrade (this is what replaces the base abilities with the picked ones), one spellbook (so that the engineering upgrade doesn't show in the UI) and a dummy unit so that it can be bought.

I've made it so you get one level of the ability when you pick it (the idea is that you are supposed to be able to try out different abilities before deciding if you wish, there isn't any repick present though)

Most of the stuff can be changed fairly easy.

Level 19
No, sorry. I can't use that.

It requires way to much code.

I have 55 spells!

But don't worry my method is working just fine.

I had to use dummy abilities, but I'm looking for a way around that too... because it's just gay with dummy spells.

so far what I had to do was create 55 different items and 55 different holders and ability variables...

but I think there must be another way... I think your spell book idea might help.

Thanks

Level 12
the point of it is that you don't need a lot of code to add an ability to the system, using hashtable reduces it immensly.

instead of having rows of if statements all you have to do to add an ability to the system is to make the abilities and the dummy unit and then use the variables for them to put them into the hashtable.

Status
Not open for further replies.