• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Arena Award idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
Recently, lots of new awards and rewards have been designed to make contests etc. more attractive, but for example the one with the bonus rep for e.g. a whole scratch made model didn't help anything.

So here's my idea.

It's quite simple. Often people say they are entering in contests (like myself) and make often awesome WIP's and progress, and then they stop, lost motivation or got any other problems.

The solution for that could be a award, for example:

o Contestant Award: Successfully participied in 5 contests.
o Bloodhound Award: Successfully participied in 10 contests.
o Gladiator Award: Successfully participied in 15 contests.

Successfullly participied means an entry, which clearly shows effort and that can be counted as an valid one.

Why have awards in the first place? It's not like you get cash for winning a contest here, so they are pretty much visual luxury/candy/ego boosters.

I just always thought award icons looked nice.

And as map designer said, the experience you take from a participation in any contest is an award itself. You push your limits, see how you're doing compared to others etc.

By the way, that reminds me:
Pharaoh_, have the missing award icons been dealt out already? You know, for Icon Contest #9 etc.

Level 17
I don't like this idea at all. If going for an award drives you to keep working on something then you should be aiming for the top three placements, not for awards just because you participated.

Participation helps to keep the contests alive, and people should get a award for that...
You have got to be kidding me. Pharaoh_ went as far as granting every contestant of the mini-contest 5 rep points. That's extremely generous.

Do you know ANY other circumstance where everyone entering a contest receives some kind of award?

Check out the mini-contests, they are very much alive, just like the regular contests in the arena. As long as capable people host interesting themes, we have nothing to worry about. There is absolutely no need to give every contestant an award for simple entering.

I don't see really much use in this as I join contests for the competition and pushing my bounds of the time I put into the map/spell etc I enter, not for any mere small rep addition for just participating.
I strive for challenges, not how many people join the contest. The rep/award icon you get for being in the top 3 is just a bonus of recognition for how well you did against the other contestants in the contest and if I could I would like to keep it that way.
[/opinion]

Level 17
I judge mostly the icon contest's and i do the right job. I got rep from Pharaoh_ for doing so. I could of got nothing, but i did. It would be cool to get a award about how many contest's the person has judged or whatever.

A new award exists for that.. I'm guessing you didn't read this thread.

I judge mostly the icon contest's and i do the right job. I got rep from Pharaoh_ for doing so. I could of got nothing, but i did. It would be cool to get a award about how many contest's the person has judged or whatever.

A new award exists for that.. I'm guessing you didn't read this thread.

Indeed, the award will be upgradeable and it will display the number of contests judged in its description! ;)

Level 6
Why is this a horrible idea??? :S
If there were more ppl competing in the contests and actually finnish their work that would mean an increase in quantity and quality of Hive's resources, which to me sounds purely positive...

Ofcourse not everyone who just posts a WiP should get a "participation count", but everyone who manages to deliver a finnished product deserves some recognition even if they don't get to be among the top3....atleast i feel they should :p

We got like thousands of super creative ppl here, i doubt it would be a problem to come up with titles/award names^^
I bet we could even have different sets of names, so ppl who mostly participated in writing/modeling/terraining/drawing etc. would get the corresponding "title" to his/her participation count and in what genre most of the contests have been.
If it's no genre that "stands out", then there would be a title for that aswell, one for each "participation step"

sry for wall of text :p

Level 16
If there were more ppl competing in the contests and actually finnish their work that would mean an increase in quantity and quality of Hive's resources, which to me sounds purely positive...

Ofcourse not everyone who just posts a WiP should get a "participation count", but everyone who manages to deliver a finnished product deserves some recognition even if they don't get to be among the top3....atleast i feel they should :p

We got like thousands of super creative ppl here, i doubt it would be a problem to come up with titles/award names^^
I bet we could even have different sets of names, so ppl who mostly participated in writing/modeling/terraining/drawing etc. would get the corresponding "title" to his/her participation count and in what genre most of the contests have been.
If it's no genre that "stands out", then there would be a title for that aswell, one for each "participation step"

sry for wall of text :p

Kinda convincing. Now I say awards for resource makers and contestants. But well... I guess if Pharaoh gives an award when he/she feels like it and that he/she should give, I will be satisfied with that :)

Level 17

Here's why it is a horrible idea - if the Hive starts throwing awards around like free candy to any Tom, Dick and Harry then it becomes absolutely pointless to bother with them. The more you make of something the less it gains in worth.

Level 6
Thats why you have different awards ;) Having an icon award would naturally be more "valued" than a title, idk how/where you'd place that title though, if you placed it under the avatar where "Moderator" titles are now i think you should write it in italic font, and not bold, or it could be something which only shows when you browse their profile...atleast that wouldn't be "too much" :p

Having more contestants in general and more contestants who finnish their stuff is a good enough reason to have this small award imo :)

Level 17
Well you're opinion is terrible in this instance because when you have more awards, they drop in value because they are easier to obtain. This increases the odds of them becoming worthless and users will think less and less of them.

Awards are there for when users achieve something, and creating an award for people that can 'make up the numbers' is not an achievement.

Level 34
I like the idea, I just think the increments are off. Make it something like 10, 20, 50, 100. If people start spamming contest with garbage just disqualify them, otherwise it only encourages people to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.