• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Easy MDX Teamglow Remover v1.0

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This tool is for the removal of teamglows from models. It has a simple drag and drop interface and can accept multiple files at once. It takes both MDX and MDL files. It uses the method of setting the alpha value of the material to 0 (though slightly more complex) described in the tutorial "Removing geosets/glow" by alfredx_sotn (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f282/removing-geosets-glow-8928/)

I would like to thank Magos for his mdxlib which was used heavily in the creation of this tool, along with alfredx_sotn for his origional tutorial on the subject. Also my clan Clan Frog@Northrend cos they're cool.

This tool will probably need .net framework 3.5 to run, though im not quite sure.
Once used the mdx type model will not be openable in war3modeleditor because magos has not made his mdx library compatible with his program (purely to advertise for himself in a form no-one will ever see.

Don't try with the same file twice. well you can but I wouldn't recommend it. I have tried to include code to compensate for glows which have animated alpha values, but they still might bug a bit. I would advise backing up your model always, as even though my program creates a new file you never know what might happen.

Have fun, if there is anything i have forgotten please e-mail me or PM me, also do the same for any bugs.

If ypu have i good idea for a tool contact me also, I like making them :p.

Keywords:
MDX, MDL, teamglow, heroglow, glow, replaceableid, magos, lordoglog, geoset, texture, material, alpha, tool, helpful, easy, oglog,
Contents

Easy MDX Teamglow Remover v1.0 (Binary)

Reviews
14:09, 5th Dec 2009 TriggerHappy: The fact that this corrupts models from being used in war3model editor, a very popular program is a big downside. And also that war3modeleditor is capable of removing team glow on it's own is another reason...

M

14:09, 5th Dec 2009
TriggerHappy:

The fact that this corrupts models from being used in war3model editor, a very popular program is a big downside.

And also that war3modeleditor is capable of removing team glow on it's own is another reason not to approve this.

If you feel that I reviewed this wrong, pm me.

Level 5
Simple tool for lazy people, (me). Easy to use and beatiful. Might think of a add teamglow also? But ofc, then its name wouldent be teamglow remover. Probably saving me loads and loads of hour removing teamglow without this tool. Well Done, milord.

:thumbs_up:

Btw, what kinda dum-dum would remove all the teamglow from all the heros, not only is it a long ass time, but it takes up an insane amount of filespace

Heres an easier way to remove team glow (with far less filesize, but for ALL/ or most models)
replace the teamglow textures:

ReplaceableTextures\TeamGlow\TeamGlow00.blp
~(#'s 0-11)~
ReplaceableTextures\TeamGlow\TeamGlow11.blp

With This: (made by me, but no credits plz...., Also edit, upload as you wish, with absolutely no need for credits)
Note: I have included Alternate team glows, theese will work, even if you use the team glow remover, as they refrence a diferent texture, (if you want to remove a few team glows, but not all, or only want a few with the glow. Useing the teamglow add wont revert the models back to their former glowing glory though (you wont have weapon glow ect, just base) although if really needed, PM me and ill make a weapon glow attachment, if you cant yourself

This will save alot of filespace, over removeing teamglow and reimporting models

Attachments

• TeamGlowADD&REMOVE.zip
    19.3 KB · Views: 104
Level 5
Btw, what kinda dum-dum would remove all the teamglow from all the heros, not only is it a long ass time, but it takes up an insane amount of filespace

This program is designed to remove the teamglow from one hero at a time not all of them, i don't know if i made that clear or not, though it can do multiple models at once. Also in most maps not that many heroes are used anyway :p

Level 2
Is this still BETA? Still an active app? I've run it against three hero MDX files, exported out with Magos War3ModelEditor, HeroPaladin, SylvanusWindrunner, and HeroArchMage. The Paladin and Sylvanus worked just fine, however the ArchMage, the removeal app never does anything with it. I've tried multiple times, and it always fails on that specific model. No errors, just no updated model file.

The model files themselves have undergone zero manipulations or modififcations, they are exactly as they are when I exported them. But the ArchMage never appears to do anything...

archmage prolly has a diff bone structure than most models...
heres how to remove it..
open model in war3modeleditor(or an editor of your choice
hold down ctrl, and click the team glow, make sure the glow flashes so u know what u selected, then go to windows/geosetmanager and remove the glow geoset, ususally this works, but sometimes u have to check geosetanimationmanager to see if you nulled any geoset anims also, which ud have to deleet

Level 2
I have successfully used your method on the Paladin and ArchMage, but when I did it on Sylvanus Windrunner, the imported model would crash the World Editor. So what I have learned is that there is no consistent method of removing the hero glow. Your method only worked on two out of three models, this app in this tools section only works two out of three times. Surprisingly enough, it's not the same two models they're both successful with...

[EDIT]
As it turns out, since I'm needing this strictly for a cinematic, I realized that if I switch the alliance the unit is with from Player 1 to Hostile Passive, the glow is diminished dramatically. Still glows a bit, a low intensive white, but is waaaaay less than say a red glow would be...

Last edited:
Level 9
Great; simple and easy to use and is even created on the .NET Framework! 4.5 out of 5 for me overall.

However, it is possible that you could remove a couple of files, including the PDB and two XML files in the ZIP file. These aren't really required, and could save some space, not to be pick anyway. Its good overall :) .