• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

General Requests/ Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Alright, I have some questions about spells/hero abilities, among other questions.
Intro: I'm making a (or attempting to) create an ORPG map, that's heavily influenced by Twilight's Eve, and well I need help.

Question One: I'm trying to make a couple abilities and they're not working/showing on the hero's main command slots.
-Ability One: Essentially I've created an ability that does not act visible to the player, but when I do connect it with a dummy copy, the tooltip for the dummy instantly goes to level two when I come out of the ability selection (when choosing for only level one). It does ultimately fix itself when at full level or just later levels. So any ideas how to fix this?
-Ability Two: This ability is based of the item effect that raises base hp. I want to make it work for 20 levels on a hero but it only adds 50 max hp when I up it. (Basically It wont work past level one). Any ideas? Also should I enhance it with triggers to make sure that it works, and essentially make it a dummy ability?

Question Two: I need a fixed creep respawn trigger set. I've looked for one, but I can't find it. The ones I do find are vague as all heck or only respawn the unit at the point of its death. Also, this respawn needs to be universal, so all creeps on the map (except dungeon mobs) will respawn a short time after their death. Can any get me this?

I still have further questions, but those are mainly balancing and ideas for the map. I need these answers first.

ALSO: Would anyone be willing to help playtest the map when I get it playable?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

For question one, to be honest, I don't understand what you want to achieve.
I would suggest you post a thread in the Triiger/Scripts section or specify what you mean + posting trigger in hidden and trigger tags here.

Question two: Well, I wanted to make an ORPG some time ago and struggled with the same question.
After gaining some experience in triggering, I think it is done this way:

1. You create an indexed variable for every creep that should respawn ( this is achieved by setting the index to a number when creating/modifying a variable)
2. You create a region for every creep, make it very small. Now you create another indexed variable you use for the regions. Make sure every creep has the same index as the corresponding region variable
3. Now you write a very simple trigger. 'unit(INDEX) dies' event, requirement 'Is controlled by player 12' ( the player that owns the creeps or neutral hostile if they are neutral hostile).
Moment, how do we get the INDEX ? We create a third variable called 'loop' (Integer, not indexed this time).
Then, for action event, we create an action 'Create 1 unit of type UNITTYPE ( yeah you would either have to set it to 'Triggering unit' or you would have to index the unit types, too.) for player 12 /whoever controls it et cetera.
You don't want the respawn to be immediately ? Using indexed integer variable for every creep allows you to create a respawn time for every creep. Just set the 'Wait' to UNITRESPAWN_TIME.
You set every index of the trigger to the variable 'loop'.
The action might require 'For every integer 'loop''.

Any questions ? Feel free to ask :) Please tell also whether it works, I would be interested for it.
For future questions I would recommend you the WEZH section, there we can help you with getting started with a trigger :)

For testing issues, you could post your map in the map development section or ask for testers in the project recruitment.
I am a big fan of ORPGs, so I might have a look on it, too :)

Level 4
Welp, before I can start with that one, I'd need to place all possible mobs that will respawn first. That's harrowing and that's a near end game thing for me. Also, I don't know how to do what you're saying with the variables (I can get into the editor, but aside from that I have no clue what I'm doing with it.) Though it is my own fault for asking pros when I'm a newbie. So I thank you for the help, but at the moment, due to lack of intelligence and, well Im more focus on getting the chars redone, I'll have to wait for mob respawn for now. I can create one that'll work, just not how I want it to lol.
Again Thanks for the help, and It's going to be awhile before I even ask for pplaytesters, because the map (and folder I had it in) magically disappeared from the computer. Luckily though, I really only had the base 16 chars and small terraining done. (So really, I wasn't that far from "just starting" the map).

Level 4
Probably, thanks anyway. Like I said, I'm going to end up being a hermit with the map for awhile before I actually try doing stuff like that. Those are things that I'd deal with once I'm nearly done with the terrain and all that. Best to have everything setup first, so I can do a final release when I do the first release, that way All I need to do is fix bugs (like inf mana).

-Ability Two: This ability is based of the item effect that raises base hp. I want to make it work for 20 levels on a hero but it only adds 50 max hp when I up it. (Basically It wont work past level one). Any ideas? Also should I enhance it with triggers to make sure that it works, and essentially make it a dummy ability?
That's a glitch with Warcraft, and it's hard coded, a workaround fix is to do this below :
Make ability has a total of 21 level
Set level 1 value to 0
And set the level 2 and above to your desire (keep in mind that level 2 is 1, 3 is 2 and so on, practically level-1)
Make it a unit ability
Make another dummy ability (preferably based on attribute bonus) and set it as hero ability.
Add both abilities to the unit.

Make this trigger :
  • Events
  • Unit - Hero learns a skill
  • Conditions
  • Learned skill equals to DUMMY ABILITY
  • Actions
    • Unit - Set level of REAL ABILITY to (level of DUMMY ABILITY + 1) for TRIGGERING UNIT
    • -------I'm not certain which method works, so try either one of these-----
    • -----One-----
    • Unit - Set level of REAL ABILITY to 1
    • -----Two-----
    • Unit - Remove REAL ABILITY to TRIGGERING UNIT
    • Unit - Add REAL ABILITY to TRIGGERING UNIT

Level 4
Thanks for the help, but I've got it handled. Essentially What I'm going to end up doing is creating a bunch og copy dummies that add say 50 hp each, and everytime the char levels the ability, one of the dummies are added, until the max level (they'd be invisible in an unused slot, and the actual ability would have level one enabled itself, then only handle the tooltip for the ability

Level 4
Alright, sorry for the double post, but I'd rather this over Thread Spamming.

I've run into more problems with trigger abilities, and well need some help.

Question One:
I've got a summon that is a hero itself, and I'd like it's level to be equal to that of the player's/caster's level. I've found a way to do it, but the triggers just don't work/recognize it.
Event:
-Unit -Unit uses summon/ability
Condition:
Ability being cast = summon abil
Actions:
-Set (Summoned Unit) Hero level to (Hero level of (Triggering Unit/Summoning Unit), hide graphics.

I request to know Why isn't this working?

Also where do I set the ability to use negative values in editor? I need it for abilities that reduce caster's defense when using battle roar.

Level 4
Problem is that I've tried that, but it's not working. I've even tried putting in a wait so it registered that the summoned unit is actually there first. Mind explaining what's going on?

Last edited:
Level 4
Again, sorry for the double post, but this is my little central thread for any questions/requests.
I know this thread is not in the right place, considering most of it is just questions, rather than requests, so if an admin catches this thread, please move it.

Anyway, I'm still confused with the Hero Summon thing, because the trigger does not work no matter how I set it, but I am now asking about a spirit link ability.
Problem:
I want to create a version of storm earth and fire where each of the units spawned either gets a passive spirit link or they have it in their command card. I want the spirit link specifically only targetable to the summons from SEaF. Any Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.