• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are there nice and comprehensive tutorials for LUA and C ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Yes :p

just in case you might be interested there is this awesome resource i found
Google

oh so you want something better..
hard one..

I've found this one to do ones motivation some good in general but i havent taken the lua track yet..
(also you probably wont learn very advanced concepts from there and theres no C track..).

well the first 3 chars already answered the whole question so .. bye :)

Level 11
Yes :p

just in case you might be interested there is this awesome resource i found
Google

oh so you want something better..
hard one..

I've found this one to do ones motivation some good in general but i havent taken the lua track yet..
(also you probably wont learn very advanced concepts from there and theres no C track..).

well the first 3 chars already answered the whole question so .. bye :)

Thanks, +Rep

Level 15
Hi guys, I want to learn Lua and C, are there such tutorials around? I have no CS background and only know JASS which basically means nothing. :D

That's not true at all. Learning how to program is more or less about learning the logic of how a code operates, what is OOP and how it works, what are the general programming practices and small things like that. Second comes the knowledge of what your platform/environment is capable off - what can the Warcraft 3 engine do, what causes it to desync?

A deeper knowledge of your chosen language is only tertiary. After having the first two, learning a new language is a piece of cake. Obviously, you learn the first two while learning a language, but it can be anything. Hell, GUI and Garry's Mod's E2 programming taught me the basics that helped me get a grasp on how it works.

Even more so, JASS operates quite similarly to C++ and C in some regards - you don't have a huge and comfy safety net like .NET under you: no massive pre-written and pre-compiled functions, no garbage collector to remove your leftover references.

LUA is a pretty simple scripting language, and I'd probably go at it through modding some game and look up the specific tutorials.

I don't see the point of learning C, since C++ is superior to it in basically everything that's not embedded system programming (in which case it's C or Assembly), and if you want to write any kind of programs for desktop/smartphones, you better go with C++. There should be quite a few books for that both in stores and on the net, and for C++, you can start with the official tutorial for C++, but this one look quite good as well.

Also, I like that LUA learning game. :)

Level 11
That's not true at all. Learning how to program is more or less about learning the logic of how a code operates, what is OOP and how it works, what are the general programming practices and small things like that. Second comes the knowledge of what your platform/environment is capable off - what can the Warcraft 3 engine do, what causes it to desync?

A deeper knowledge of your chosen language is only tertiary. After having the first two, learning a new language is a piece of cake. Obviously, you learn the first two while learning a language, but it can be anything. Hell, GUI and Garry's Mod's E2 programming taught me the basics that helped me get a grasp on how it works.

Even more so, JASS operates quite similarly to C++ and C in some regards - you don't have a huge and comfy safety net like .NET under you: no massive pre-written and pre-compiled functions, no garbage collector to remove your leftover references.

LUA is a pretty simple scripting language, and I'd probably go at it through modding some game and look up the specific tutorials.

I don't see the point of learning C, since C++ is superior to it in basically everything that's not embedded system programming (in which case it's C or Assembly), and if you want to write any kind of programs for desktop/smartphones, you better go with C++. There should be quite a few books for that both in stores and on the net, and for C++, you can start with the official tutorial for C++, but this one look quite good as well.

Also, I like that LUA learning game. :)

Thanks for the reply, :).
I still have one more questions: do I need to learn C first then jump in to C++?

Level 15
Thanks for the reply, :).
I still have one more questions: do I need to learn C first then jump in to C++?

C and C++ are different languages. The syntax is quite similar, but the purpose and usage is vastly different. I don't believe you need to learn C for C++, but I do think that anyone wanting to start with C++ is going to have quite a hard time... On the other hand, I've been told that if you can get past that point and get a firm grasp on it, any language becomes a child's play (okay, maybe except for things like Antl4r(okay, it's not a language, but using it is rather different) and Haskell(or any other declarative language), those are rather different.)

Also don't forget that C is NOT object oriented while C++ is. OOP plays a huge factor, and starting with C then moving to C++ might confuse you a bit because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.