• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

GreatElderHydraLightningOrbV.107

This is my second hydra projectile iv uploaded. took me about 2 weeks to start and finish this, was pretty hard work.

Based off the FarSeer Missile, I combined different particle effects from all over the place inspired by practically every lighting effect in war craft.

the model includes the animations:

Birth - spawns into existence in a big blue flash
Stand - grows and pulsates while a lot of lighting spins moves and arks every where, major flame and deep blue smoke trails emitted
Death - Flashes out of existence in a big blue orb of light with massive clouds of deep blue smoke and shining blue sparks fly off in every direction, the smoke clears over 5 seconds.

have fun with this one, this ones more versatile in its uses, credit me if you use it or change it, via a mur'loc in ur map named kellym0 the mur'loc god or something like that.

The Death time seconds is 5.000 so set that for your dummys. In Addition I will be releasing my custom ground burning oil effect for this missile.

Keywords:
Lighting, Thunder, Orb, Blue, Sparks, Explosion, Destruction, Death, Pain, Shock, Zappage
Contents

GreatElderHydraLightningOrbV.107 (Model)

Reviews
14:38, 10th Aug 2014 MiniMage: The model is nice, but the filesize is a little much for a projectile. 15:25, 12th Aug 2014 MiniMage: Eh, tested it ingame. It's a heavy projectile, but it looks nice. So for those that want a HQ projectile, I guess...

M

14:38, 10th Aug 2014
MiniMage: The model is nice, but the filesize is a little much for a projectile.

15:25, 12th Aug 2014
MiniMage: Eh, tested it ingame. It's a heavy projectile, but it looks nice. So for those that want a HQ projectile, I guess I'll approve it.

the file size is high, true, because most of the lighting its self in my model is all vertexes and polys, and not entirely emitters.

missile effects that are all emitters can work, and have a lot less file size, but this is based off of the farseer missile, and that missiles starting size was 33 kbs alone. I doubled then tripled the number of lighting vertexes, and added a lot of bones to animate the lighting vertexes, there are 9 major sections, each section is spinning in a different way, 3 are spherical and spin on the X,Y and Z axis, 3 are elongated and spin mostly rotationally and act as the tail, and 3 are the spike tendrils arrays, that flash on and off during birth stand and death. so there is over 13 moving parts and 9 of those are major. taking any of them out ruins the entire projectile.

you may find 90 kbs an issue, and that's just fine. but I don't see an acceptable replacement for a lighting projectile in the entire game of war craft 3 capable of performing the amount of 3-dimensional work that my projectile provides, and still remaining both a magical and a science fiction style piece. and 90 kbs is as low as I could get away with. without this projectile, you're stuck using the farseer orb. because there is litterally no other ''lighting'' projectile availble in the editor short of using those chain lighting effects, only numbers of lighting ''buffs''

glad you like it any way though strikest.

Level 5
you may find 90 kbs an issue, and that's just fine. but I don't see an acceptable replacement for a lighting projectile in the entire game of war craft 3 capable of performing the amount of 3-dimensional work that my projectile provides, and still remaining both a magical and a science fiction style piece.
3-dimensional work is meaningless in SFX business! A billboard sphere can look better than a real sphere with thousand of polies, that 's a small example! The meaning here are eyes's feeling and file size!
You make such a hard work for those lightning but those light ball and other particle cover most them in the game, so it's a waste!
There are many other ways around to provide more lightning with 20 KB file size! But i won't show you, because i didn't do SFX anymore, find it yourself!
IMO, 24 KB SFX model can be consider as heavy SFX so 90KB can be a serious problem!

3-dimensional work is meaningless in SFX business! A billboard sphere can look better than a real sphere with thousand of polies, that 's a small example! The meaning here are eyes's feeling and file size!
You make such a hard work for those lightning but those light ball and other particle cover most them in the game, so it's a waste!
There are many other ways around to provide more lightning with 20 KB file size! But i won't show you, because i didn't do SFX anymore, find it yourself!
IMO, 24 KB SFX model can be consider as heavy SFX so 90KB can be a serious problem!

But the effect I wanted and aimed for, was to not just spam bill board planes, I've made a lot of bill boarded planed stuff, look at all my flower models, and soon to be bomb collection, even inside this model. all of them bill boards! bill boarded glows! bill boarded flowers! bill boarded explosion flashes, but the farseers missile is made in a style I really liked, which was how it had a lot of movement, too much to properly discern and differentiate so I copied that idea but bigger.

''There are many other ways around to provide more lightning with 20 KB file size!'' I don't even know how to use ribbons like that (to make a big coned tear drop shape of lighting), im not sure its even possible to make the lighting I did using ribbons. so I have no idea what you mean. other then, just bill boarding the zap texture? or the purge texture?

when you say ''You make such a hard work for those lightning but those light ball and other particle cover most them in the game''

that was kind of my plan a bit, how ever did you test it going faster? because I don't have any issue seeing the lighting cone tail during faster movement, but that's just me. the lighting is mostly there to show wiggling inside the blue glows, flames, sparks, and that deeper blue smoke, the faster the projectile, the more the emitters get spread out, and the more lighting is exposed outside the emitters. so I feel that judgement is a tad bit inaccurate in my opinion. but its mostly on how fast its going, standing perfectly still or going very very slow you're basically correct the lighting is invisible. but I imagined this missile being almost instant if not pretty fast. like a wraith's missile from halo.

as for the size, im not sure I can shrink it too much, i'll do my best any way, but this is more then just an ordinary missile, its built to be a kind of ultimate spell. and if 20 kbs is considered heavy for an ultimate spell then wow that map must be stuffed.

''But i won't show you, because i didn't do SFX anymore, find it yourself!''

I usually help people if they ask me questions, even vague instructions of topics...so...not sure what to say to that, so, il just say ok! I guess... yay? glad you like it? even if you wouldn't use it?

k

in addition to this blue-white one im currently working on a green-white and red-orange-purple variations as well, with different emitter styles (one more flashy/streaky/demonic/finger of deathish and one more necrotic/deathly/plagueish/spectral) yet both still keeping the ''lighting'' vibe, they wont be done for some time though. some people may find the other color variations more useful then this blue one. il add additional burning oil models as well.

and thank you z00rtaz glad you like it =D

Level 5
Okay i 'll show you a way to add more lightning so i won't be a rude one:
At 1:33 in this video is an example:
as for the size, im not sure I can shrink it too much, i'll do my best any way, but this is more then just an ordinary missile, its built to be a kind of ultimate spell. and if 20 kbs is considered heavy for an ultimate spell then wow that map must be stuffed.
BTW i made tons of ultimate SFX with just only 20 KB for each SFX, no kidding!

but that's just a massive array of spinning attachment points with the lighting shield buff?

so really extremely erratic movement of bones with ribbons using zap texture thats basically your plan?

that is just so hard to make look good though. not sure I have that much energy to move that many bones all over the place with that many ribbons, that would take hours to make perfect.

your stuff looks nice tho

Level 5
Well, i never plan to use ribbon to make lightning effect, it's very bad choice!
I dont make any ribbon in that video, it's a technique i use to multiply the effect of ingame SFX. You can use this technique to multiply some ingame SFX instead of making a whole new one!
BTW all those special effect in that video using only one SFX model with 2KB.

Well, i never plan to use ribbon to make lightning effect, it's very bad choice!
I dont make any ribbon in that video, it's a technique i use to multiply the effect of ingame SFX. You can use this technique to multiply some ingame SFX instead of making a whole new one!
BTW all those special effect in that video using only one SFX model with 2KB.

yea, well I liked the idea of a missile I made rather then just spamming all of warcrafts special effects, that was some what of the main purpose of creating this model, I created it because I didn't like the effect of just spamming every lighting effect of warcraft onto one dummy, it looks cluttered and ugly and I wasn't satisfied with that.

I didn't want every single time this missiles used to be PURE triggers, This is meant to be a burning oil missile, for a standard unit's (in this case a boss)'s attack. that's why I made a fitting burning oil. and you're method wouldn't work with this plan.